• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

will i be given a choice of surgery?

pmkmrm

:) hi all,
when i first went to my doctor in jul08 i asked if i could be reffered for wls and said could he referr me for a band.
since that time i have researched both operations, read hundreds of posts regarding both band and bypass, listened to both sides at a support group and thrashed it out with my hubby.
i now think the bypass would be the better operation for me, i eat regulare meals but my portions sizes represent a six foot lumberjack who has been chopping logs all day NOT a 5foot 2" sedetary housewife who does noo exercise!!!!! i volume eat but within mealtimes i eat sweets/chocs and bread bread and more bread!!
i think the bypass will be better as i will not be able to eat sweet things i think i would cheat on the band.
anyway my questions is.....
can i cahnge my mind if the surgeon thinks it is suitable? or
am i only funded for band??
has anyone gone to st richards orginally being reffered for a band and changed to a bypass?
thanks
love kate xx

it is possible yes, discuss with your surgeon your eating habbits and be truthfull about everything, if he agrees with you, then he will do whats best for your circumstances.

:) hi all,
when i first went to my doctor in jul08 i asked if i could be reffered for wls and said could he referr me for a band.
since that time i have researched both operations, read hundreds of posts regarding both band and bypass, listened to both sides at a support group and thrashed it out with my hubby.
i now think the bypass would be the better operation for me, i eat regulare meals but my portions sizes represent a six foot lumberjack who has been chopping logs all day NOT a 5foot 2" sedetary housewife who does noo exercise!!!!! i volume eat but within mealtimes i eat sweets/chocs and bread bread and more bread!!
i think the bypass will be better as i will not be able to eat sweet things i think i would cheat on the band.
anyway my questions is.....
can i cahnge my mind if the surgeon thinks it is suitable? or
am i only funded for band??
has anyone gone to st richards orginally being reffered for a band and changed to a bypass?
thanks
love kate xx

yes i was refered for band then strongly offerd bypass at st richards i still went with band. you will see a nurse and a dietician who will discuss your eating in detail then the surgeon suggests what he considers the best option for you but i was told the choice was mine

Hi Kate,I asked my GP for referal for band.When I got my appointment to see surgeon he seemed to think I'd be ok with bypass but I stuck to band because I didn't want to have to apply for different funding in case it took more time and I have no patience at all when I want something.I would suggest that when you see your surgeon speak to him about which would be best for you as he will know whats going to work better for you personally. Good luck and I hope you get the one you want. Take care xx Gaynor xx

Ultimately, the final decision of which surgery to have will be yours hun. The surgeon will give his opinions and advice but will listen to you. Use the intial appointment as a chance to discuss everything and to tell him why YOU feel the bypass is best for you.

my surgeon asked me what i wanted and why ?
i went to a group education session for 3 hrs before i had my surgeon appointment ..

it was to teach me what they offer and what they do for you.

they asked what kinda of eater are you and so on so u could make your choice ..

then when i went to see surgeon he asked what i would want and told him the bypass ..

he said yes .. thats what i would of offered you .

cause i love sweets and i don't eat big meals .. and i want results now and i haven't got huge will power ..

cause u have no choice with bypass where as band u have to be a strong person ..

the way i looked at it was i only want to do this once and i did not want to have the band and then fail and have to go back ..

as nhs will only pay once and they pref people to get bypass I'm told as they don't have to refund mistakes and faults ...

so the choice will be yours I'm guessing but the surgeon will tell you what he thinks will work ..

xx

When I went the GP and weight management cons asked for a band, i had done lots of research and thought bypass would be best. Dr heartland just said i think the bypass for you, what do you think I said yes and reasons why. So bypass funding being done, SSPCT are automatic so doesnt need clearance, brill

Ali

Back