• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

I am so, so confused. :(

Lyn8124

Journeying to the real me
I had a consultation with a surgeon on 13th Feb. He recommended the gastric bypass over the band which threw me a bit cos I thought he only offered the band. He said the biscuits and chocolate I eat would just slip through the band so the bypass would be best for me.

I have read loads on both ops and am scared of the extra risks involved. He said if I insisted on the band he would do it. For some people the bypass is a dream and for others it's a nightmare. One lady I know from another site has lost ten stones in about eight months, then I read about people still being able to eat junk, easier than the healthier option.

I have to pay for this op myself and I don't want to make the wrong decision. I am also worried about the pre-op diet, if I could stick to a diet I wouldn't need an op but at the same time I need to shrink my liver.

I am so confused and I feel such a failure. I am sick of my fat defining who I am, I am sick of other's silent judgement which you can see in their eyes and most of all I am sick of myself. :tear_drop::break_diet:

Aww Lyn :hug99: Tough decisions eh. Pros and cons each way, and you need to be really sure which way you want to go.

Please don't feel a failure. You just haven't found the answer for you just yet. People don't understand do they.

Sometimes I think we make it harder on ourselves. We judge ourselves so harshly and assume others are doing so too. Not always the case ;) Hope you find a way that works for you soon.

Do you really need either? I'm trying Cambridge sole source. It's my very last chance before opting for the knife and so far so good. I am extemely obese so would get it on the NHS but just felt I wanted to try one last thing first- I' petrified of general anaesthetic at my weight.
Until today I've been feeling great physically and maetally on CD. Am a bit down today as hungry but have resisted a mega buffet at lunchtime. I know I'd have to have will power even with the op.
I'd recommend CD- you can see the weight going.
Sorry if you have already tried it and I'm yakking on ! I know it'snot for everyone>
Hope you succeed whichever route you choose.
xx

Thanks for your replies girls. :) I done LL foundation in April 2006, done fantastically for 10 weeks and lost 3.5st plus 7lbs before starting. during that time I started using Implanon contraceptive implant and got terrible side effects including bad hunger. I started having extra foodpacks and then actual food and it was all downhill from there, I stopped going cos I figure there was no point if I was cheating. I went back to eating the big portions like before, in fact I ended up worse than ever binging on biscuits and cake almost every day not to mention take-aways every night.

I have tried loads of times over the past 18 months to get back on the wagon and I just can't do it so I feel worse now than before I even tried to lose weight. *sigh*

I really admire people who can restart the vlcd, I just don't have the willpower.

Forgot to say congrats on your losses both of you. :)

Awww Lyn - sorry you're so confused at the minute.....:(

It's a big decision so you need to be sure you're making the right decision for you......wish I could helo in some way.....I know how hard it is to get back on to vlcd once you've stopped.....

also wanted to say - you are not a failure.....as KD says, you just haven't found the plan that's right for you.

I do hope you find something that works for you.

love

Debz xx

hi lynn

the end of your post made me sad for you... yes ive seen judgement in ppls eyes when they looked at my bulk instead of my soul... its hurtful and yes ive felt a failure too because i just couldnt control that part of my life, ive always been big had a trauma in my childhood that made me pile on the stones over the years... tried all the diets over the years was even on dospan slimming pills at 13... and failed at them all. my mum did lighter life and lost 6 stone and i know this has worked for many ppl and i thought i could try this but as soon as she could eat normal food again she piled it bk on and we are very similar in our eating habits...i felt i had no hope but to carry on and eat myself to death.... then i heard of the gastric band... hope at last!! it wasnt a decision i made lightly... i was at the end of my tether... i got my gp to refer me to a surgeon id researched on the net... took ages but when i finally got to see him i was told the same thing as you... because of my way of eating the band probably wouldnt work and he advised me to have the bypass as weghtloss was more guarenteed. i was scared it was a big op but as far as i was concerned it was my last hope.. my quality of life wasnt good and i decided to take the chance... ive never suceeded at diets but i did the liver shrinking diet for just under 3 weeks, i was allowed 4 weight watchers soups 4 low fat yoghurts and a pint of semi skimmed milk a day as well as any sugar free drinks... i wasnt hungry and actually found it hard to eat it all!! it was boring but you know u only have to do it for a short amount of time... if i can do it u can do it!!!
i had my gastric bypass 3 weeks ago, best decision i ever made... ive lost 3 stone since i first started the diet till now. dont get me wrong its not easy, when your big its an emotional bond u have with food and its hard to lose that but i feel so much better about myself. i cant tell you what to decide for you only tell u my story.... what i can say is dont be so down on yourself, true beauty comes from within and positive thought can change the universe... let me know what you decide...take care..
Dx

Last edited:
Hiya lynn,
I dont know if this may help but this is my gastric bypass diary the good the bad and the ugly lol ,from deciding to book my op to now just over 4 mths out and 6stone 8lbs down .

My eating was so out of control i couldnt even manage the pre op diet !

Good luck and if you wanna ask anything just yell !
luv Julie xxx

i'd probably say get some more opinions before you do anything. see other surgeons and get their take on it all.

Thanks for your message nefer, it's great you have found the solution.:) Hope I can figure out mine lol.

Kandy, is your diary on this board or diary board? Congrats on your losses both of you. :)

Hey thanks v much wmm. :)

hi lynn i know what its like to feel like this i never knew anything about the band or bypass it was only when i was admitted to hospital with bad stomach pains and the doctor asked me would i consider a band, when i got home i did some phoning around and was told i was 2 big for the band so i was told about the bypass it only took me 6 weeks from phoning about it to actually having it done lol, i had to go private as my gp refused to refer me as it was a 6 year waiting list so i paid £8.500 to have it done as u know ive lost 7 st and i feel bones i didnt know i had lol i can do things now that has held me back 4 so many years i used to buy skirts that were size 34 now i get into a size 20 my tops were a size 32/34 now they are a size 18/20 and thats after 9 months, others have lost more than me after this length of time but im happy with it just take your time and think whats best 4 you and as 4 the pre op diet i didnt stick to it like i should have and its only 3 weeks of it b4 the op then a new life i admire all those out there who have done it without surgery but i have been doing different diets for over 15 years and failed surgery was my only hope without that i would never have lost 7st so good luck with your decision lv georgina xxx

Back