• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Devastated after 18 wasted months - please help

I've been going through the assessment process at my local hospital for the past 18 months. At my first appointment I asked for their advice as I have bipolar disorder, albeit type 2,which is the milder version, and I was concerned about it coming between my chances of having the surgery. I was told at the time that it wouldn't affect my chances and that once funding had been approved, it was very, very rare to be refused, unless there were any contraindications.

Since then (March 2015) I've jumped through a million hoops, lost over 4 stone following a really restricted diet and managed to get through an extremely difficult 6 months in which my daughter walked out and refused any contact, putting us through absolute hell.

I was prescribed a drug for my bipolar which unfortunately made me gain a hell of a lot of weight, despite still being on slimming world. It didn't help in any way, so I made the decision to stop taking it and began to see results in my weight loss.

My last appointment was with the psychologist just before Christmas. I'd like to say it went well, but I was upset as I was really struggling with the situation with my daughter. However, I was honest with her, and explained the situation and that I was still in touch with my psychiatrist but had stopped taking the meds. I admitted having problems with emotional eating but that it was getting better and I had put systems in place to take my mind off turning to food, as I had in the past.

Last week, I emailed and checked to see when my next appointment would be as the last few had been really close together. I was told that I had actually completed the assessment process and she would submit my application to the MDT panel and my GP would have a letter by the end of the week. I thought it was really strange as I still hadn't had my appointment with the Dr or the final one with the surgeon as I was expecting.

Today I found out via the receptionist at the surgery that it'd all gone completely t*to up. My application has been unsuccessful at this time because I'd stopped taking my meds. I'm beyond devastated to say the least and haven't stopped crying.

I'm planning to speak to someone there tomorrow in the hope that I can put across my account of things, and see if I can appeal against the decision. I've tried to speak to my psychiatrist but naturally she's on annual leave until Monday but I think she'll write a letter in support as she's been helpful in the past. If anyone has any helpful advice, I'd be very grateful. Sorry for the rant but I'm really low and feel at the end of my tether. It's been a long road, and I can't stop now. Thanks for listening xx

Hi purple.

Sorry to hear your news. I didn't want to read and run. The only advice I can offer is to hang in there and not give up. Xx

Whatever you do, DONT GIVE UP! you have worked to hard to just roll over now as soon as your supporter is back from A/L then get on her case and if she is as good as you say she should carry some weight( no pun!) With the team at your hospital
I wish you luck

This must be a real kick in the balls..but firstly well done on losing the weight you have and getting through this period! I can understand their decision, wks has a massive effect on your mental health. The weight loss and hormonal changes have made me very moody at times and I have noticed a change in myself and suffer no mental health problems. I'm sure there are many ladies on here who can relate to the ups and downs of this journey!
Everything in life is fate..don't be disheartened as this has happened for a reason. See if there are other suitable medications you could try but most of all keep positive about life and build bridges with your family! Good luck x

Hi so sorry to read this. Maybe if you explain the reason you came off your tablets was due to weight regain and that you were worried you would be refused surgery because of it they will work with you to find a suitable medication and once you are stable on it reconsider their decision. Defo ask your psychiatrist for help don't give up you've come so far hope things settle down at home for you good luck Xx

I'm so sorry hunni.... you must be completely devastated ...sending a huge hug your way..........

Time is never wasted hunni...... look how far you have come....... i believe if something is worth having, its worth the fight........ you have walked the path and your just standing at (another) cross road....... hang on in there, stand your ground and fight...... of course every area works differently but i think your area is especially hard....... i know you must be fighting the head demons today, but try and stay strong, don't give in or give up sweetness..... its a long old path with great rewards along the way, this is just part of your 'journey' which in turn will make you stronger in the end :) huge hugs.... take some time and once your heads clearer set your sights on your next step x x x x x good luck

Back