• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WLS Results after 6 months anyone?

excitedbutnervous

Hi

I have been nosing around this forum and there are lots of positive messages about losing weight, however there are lots about stalls and not losing much at all.

What scares me is am I going to be someone who fails at losing after having my sleeve? Is that even possible?

Does everyone lose approximately the same % in 6months?

Most people lose the most in the first six months and then for a further nine to twelve months at a steady significant drop depending on your starting weight. This is what's known as the losing phase where the loss is more natural. People with bands may lose more in the six to twelve month period as they have to find the right spot with their restriction. Stalls are the most annoying thing, however most people lose the same percentage of weight over the course of the twelve months, some at a steady 2 lb a week and done with 5lb one week then a three week stall then another 6 etc but it averages out the same. Of course this is not the same for everyone just a general over view. The only reason you will not lose with a sleeve is if you drink your calories in milkshakes and melted chocolate or the surgery is done incorrectly or over time you continually overeat and widen the opening from the stomach to the digestive system meaning food goes through to quick (you would have to really work at it for that to happen) there are four main elements as to why you will. 1) surgery resets the metabolism to a healthy setting 2) most of the part of the stomach that recognises hunger is removed and 3) your stomach is tiny 4) the food stays in your stomach for a long time before it makes it yo the digestive system keeping you fuller for longer.
Of course people lose more longer than twelve months but this is the time that people find that they need to excercise more/ watch their food more closely
/ up their calories/ feel more hungry etc.
Hope that helps x

What a great reply! I couldn't have said it better myself
At around 6 months I think I got rid of about 6 stone in weight, 9 stone if I add on the pre op Weight lose, now nearly 9 months on its nearly 9stone, around 12 stone with the pre op lose
It Has slowed down and I do have stalls I've even gained 2/3 lbs but mostly it's coming off just a lot slower
Like caroline said the first 6 /9 months are golden then the real work kicks in so all the pre work you put in place in excerise, healthy eating, been mindful,will all help you when you enter what I call phrase 2 of wls
Good luck

Most people lose the most in the first six months and then for a further nine to twelve months at a steady significant drop depending on your starting weight. This is what's known as the losing phase where the loss is more natural. People with bands may lose more in the six to twelve month period as they have to find the right spot with their restriction. Stalls are the most annoying thing, however most people lose the same percentage of weight over the course of the twelve months, some at a steady 2 lb a week and done with 5lb one week then a three week stall then another 6 etc but it averages out the same. Of course this is not the same for everyone just a general over view. The only reason

you will not lose with a sleeve is if you drink your calories in milkshakes and melted chocolate or the surgery is done incorrectly or over time you continually overeat and widen the opening from the stomach to the digestive system meaning food goes through to quick (you would have to really work at it for that to happen) there are four main elements as to why you will. 1) surgery resets the metabolism to a healthy setting 2) most of the part of the stomach that recognises hunger is removed and 3) your stomach is tiny 4) the food stays in your stomach for a long time before it makes it yo the digestive system keeping you fuller for longer. Of course people lose more longer than twelve months but this is the time that people find that they need to excercise more/ watch their food more closely / up their calories/ feel more hungry etc. Hope that helps x

Thanks Hun you are really knowledgeable.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

Thanks guys. Just having those pre-op worries

Back