• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

woke up this morning.......

j.u.s.t.l.i.z.

Runs Srh Support Group
and weirdly the 1st thought that come into my head was "im kidding myself i cant be a bypasser" negitive thoughts didnt wanna get up, 5 years banded can i cope with the change ? im unsure the few band to bypass patients ive talked to thro my support group and seminars do tell me bypass is so much easier to live with than a band is, i still have doubts what the hells wrong with me????? ive been given a chance of a 3rd surgery and im doubting my choices, i know i want this but im wary of the unknown must be normal thoughts of most converts/re doos, im just unsure if i can get out of the mind set of thinking like a bander once im bypassed that sorta scares me, can i cope ?? only time wil tell eh? if i cant i know i have the support of my friends thats experienced bypassers to help me ajust?????

soz for blahhing on :confused:

Liz x

I think it's normal to have doubts about going from a band to a bypass. You've been used to one thing and your mind has been tuned to being a bander. Then you've got to get used to the idea of being a bypasser.

I had doubts before my op, more to do with am I doing the right thing, am I making a mistake etc.

Hi Liz
It must feel very strange thinking about being bypassed. You are an "experienced bander" and its a natural fear to worry about something that never figured in your thinking. All i can say is you know how well i've done with my bypass, you know how much happier and confident i am and the difference it has made to my life and others on here just like me. There is nothing wrong with you its all part of the process and your journey has taken a new and unexpected turn. We will all be here to support and help you so worry not and you will be fine. Big hugs x

Hi Liz
It must feel very strange thinking about being bypassed. You are an "experienced bander" and its a natural fear to worry about something that never figured in your thinking. All i can say is you know how well i've done with my bypass, you know how much happier and confident i am and the difference it has made to my life and others on here just like me. There is nothing wrong with you its all part of the process and your journey has taken a new and unexpected turn. We will all be here to support and help you so worry not and you will be fine. Big hugs x

Allie thankyou so much for replying to my thread, your words of support mean alot to me, if i need you i will ask for your help thankyou, i really do mean that x

I think it's normal to have doubts about going from a band to a bypass. You've been used to one thing and your mind has been tuned to being a bander. Then you've got to get used to the idea of being a bypasser.

I had doubts before my op, more to do with am I doing the right thing, am I making a mistake etc.

thanks Jaxx im sure i will be ok im just wary i will mistakes as beeing locked ina a banders way of thinking :(

Liz,

Think back to the days before you were banded and how alien the idea of banding felt to you then, all the worries and nerves you must have gone through prior to a life changing op.

The worries you have now are no different and completely normal. Doubts will creep in but you know deep down within that you really want this third op to make sure all your brilliant work is not undone.

You have all our support, you have been an amazing contributor to this forum and I believe that once you are 6 months the other side of this op, you will be a brilliant bypasser to ask for advice.;):D

Like the others have already posted, I would think it is very normal to have these thoughts and doubts and to be feeling a bit apprehensive Liz as you are being taken out of your comfort zone and stepping into the unknown for you.

But I believe the experience and knowledge you have as a bander will serve you well being a bypasser.

And as others have said we are all here to help you get through it in whatever way we can, you have loads of friends here who are only too willing to help you out and just like what cazbandy has said once you are passed six months if not before, you will be the other side of the op passing on your experience and good advice to the new bypassers following behind.

I agree with everyone else Liz. I'm making assumptions here, but Im guessing that part of the reason you are worried is that you have become known as a bit of a band expert, and all of a sudden you are going to be a "learner" again.

You will absolutely rock this bypass Liz, and pretty soon you will be advising others coming up behind you who are having a bypass.

A lot of the rules for banding/bypass are similar - such as moving through the stages immediately after surgery, liquids to puree to soft food to normal food, portion sizes will be similar, no drinking with meals.

You will quickly learn whether your tolerances to some foods has improved, eg you may be able to eat pasta/rice where you might have struggled before. You will also quickly learn whether you are a dumper...

Of course one big difference is the need to take supplements for life, and to concentrate on a high protein diet.

I know it sounds like a mountain to climb, but honestly now Im 8 months out I dont spend every waking minute thinking about my bypass. I live a normal life - I just eat less than the average person.

Big hugs Liz. SOunds like you need them hun x x

Hi Liz,

It is definately normal, I am waiting for a date for by pass and I am :eek::eek: too.

Liz you will get through it, I know you will, you are way to determined not to!!!!!

You would be having these doubts even if you was completely new to wls, I know I did. My original choice was a band and when it was suggested to me about having the by-pass I was absolutely mortified. All I kept thinking was "it can never be reversed, if I do this it is forever". I took a step back and asked myself, why would I want it to be reversed? I never ever want to go back to being this size again. That answered my doubts for me and from that day in I never had another doubt about what I was doing and since having it done I have never had a single regret.

Stay positive Liz, you know we are all here to help you through it hun. xxxxxx

Hi Liz. I can't really add much to what has already been said but just wanted to say thanks for all your support in the past (and future I hope) and that there will be a mass of support here for you.

Liz you've been around so long (sorry thats not me saying your old, well if you are you look darn good for it) you know all the advice given to bypassers and all the hiccups (really hiccups) that can come up. You already have a wealth of knowledge that some of us pre oppers dont... You also have the added advantage of dealing with head wanting big portions, stomach can take small portions syndrome so you are already ahead in the game! You are going to succeed with your bypass because you have a lot of friends on here who love you and want to share the support you've shown them. Not to mention your secret (or not so secret) weapon of bypass sarah....

You are so gonna be rocking in six months time xxx

thankyou everyone for your kind words of support today im feeling much happier and i can and will cope because i have all you lovely people to help me along the way if i need you, so thanks again all of your support is very much appreciated x

Liz

You will be fine .I can`t say really anything that everyone has already said.

Go with what your heart tells you. Once its over and done with life will begin again for you, its just the wait in the mean time that plays with your emotions

Jo
xx

Liz, you already know my thought on this but I guess the only other way to look at the situation you're in is this...if you went for a 3rd band, how confident would you feel in the band never malfunctioning again?

I believe you're absolutely doing the right thing by having the bypass and know that you'll make it work...you can do it lass!!! :girlpower:

Liz, you already know my thought on this but I guess the only other way to look at the situation you're in is this...if you went for a 3rd band, how confident would you feel in the band never malfunctioning again?

I believe you're absolutely doing the right thing by having the bypass and know that you'll make it work...you can do it lass!!! :girlpower:

:) Hiya Yvonne ive been fine since i made my decision it was just yesterday doubts came into my mind but seemed to be a one off thoughts wise, but im ok now and its deffo what i want to do as i said its the correct next step for me as im sick of fighting against failed/leaking bands, being to tight, too slack puking alot, this has got to be a better option for me, i gave it my all with the two of my bands and twice the bands have let me down big time, at least with my bypass i will be done and dusted and i can work towards losing the weight that ive regained and maybe a bit more fingers crossed x

Last edited:
Glad you're feeling a bit brighter today. Its natural to question the decision, i still have days as a post opper where i think omg, what have i done lol.
Knowing you as i now do, i have no doubts at all that you will sail through the bypass and show the rest of us up with your success. Chin up, not long to go now x x

thanks Jayne i appreciate your support, next night out i be sober ok i promise hehe x

Liz you are a strong person and you will be fine i no when i was second guessing my self it was you and sara telling me a bypass was the right thing and this is the right thing for you now, if they told you you had to have another band you would hate it ,it is scary when the time is coming but once its over and things settle down you will wonder what you where worred about ,the thing i would change is that i had done it years ago i love my bypass,
If you want to have a girly night out befor your op give us a shout im sure some of us could get together for a knees up
xxx

Back