• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Woman dies after 'gorging' in hospital

Tyraboots

Sharon Mevsimler, 40, was on a strict diet in Chelmsford, Essex, but had family buckets of chicken and fish and chips smuggled in.

She died of a heart attack nine days after we told of the five-footer's grub addiction.

Sharon begged her family to sneak take-aways into the hospital where she was on a strict diet and horrified witnesses saw relatives smuggling fast foodto the gorging mum of four.
And she was so huge that a trolley COLLAPSED as she was wheeled to the mortuary.
[/QUOTE]</H2>Britain&rsquo;s fattest woman dies | The Sun |News

I saw her story a few weeks ago, and I was tempted to drop her a line in hospital. It is so sad. But that's what the nature of the beast is. When will people realise that food addiction is a real addiction?

o my gosh!! thats terrible so so sad..... but im not sure if im gonna cause some upset here and i rally dont mean to!! BUT im a big believer in 'tough love' her family should have said no and realised the consenquences, but im afraid thats something that there ll have to live with and always wonder 'what if we didnt bring it in' ... i strongly believe in 'food addiction' and that it should be treated as seriously as a 'drug addiction' or 'alcohol addiction' but still people dont see it on the same level, always makes me wonder WHY??...... all them things will kill you so should be treated as equally as dangerous..... so very sad

I agree with you Kelly, the family should have shown tough love. This poor woman couldn't walk so without the family smuggling food in she wouldn't have been able to eat rubbish... I've posted on another post as i'm wondering why she was given a gastric band when surely a slieve or bypass would have given her more of a faster weight loss...

Food addiction is a serious disease for some people and should be recognised just as much as anorexia or bulimia, however i don't believe it is and wonder if it ever will be!

Lets just hope this is not an illness she has had chance to pass onto her children! It can sometimes be contagious i truly believe this.

I hope she has peace now xx

yes i agree with that to julie, ive two boys one is sooo lean ( he s only 1 but no rolls anywhere) n ive a 4yr old, i to can see habits he s doing with food , thats like me..... he loves his food n is a big eater, i will never ever say the word 'diet' to him or 'fat' etc etc, but i will deal with it where he has no idea at all.... when i weighed myself he was asking what i was doing so i said..'do you wanna go?' n he did he just saw it as a game... he was 4 stone 5 but he s only 4 and he wears aged 7 clothes, i have mentioned it to doc she wasnt even worried as his height is for a 7 yr old..... she said on paper for his age he s overweight but at that height his weight has evened out his dad is 6 '3.......n actually because im buying brown bread instead of white, n loads fruit n looking at fat content his weight is now 3 st 13 1/2, and thats without even trying, he still has treats but i buy quavers as there 87 calouries, and treat wise for choc i buy the lil kinder bars number one so im not tempted haha and because there less in fat! i do not want my son sat in front of a surgeon in 15 yrs time......so im trying to make lil changes now......xx

It's a good lesson to give your son early in life. It's not about deprivation its about making better choices! I think if you go down the 'you can't have it' route they will when older just have it all the more! I did and look at me now...

I don't let my kids have takeaways anymore, i did at one point and we were all eating far too much. We compromise if they want chicken nuggets at home they have it with pasta or a jacket... It's all about compromise. I don't want my kids having wls or being teased about being overweight.

yeh i agree hun, one health visitor was so rude to me as he started questioning me about my eating and excersise on his two yr check!!! they just took one look at me saw i was big and thought i must feed my son fried chicken all the time in actual fact im even more strict with him as i know the consenquences of over eating i would never ever allow him to get big why would i want my son to end up like me?... its fair to say that appointment i was angry and upset at being judged so quickly xx

yeh i agree hun, one health visitor was so rude to me as he started questioning me about my eating and excersise on his two yr check!!! they just took one look at me saw i was big and thought i must feed my son fried chicken all the time in actual fact im even more strict with him as i know the consenquences of over eating i would never ever allow him to get big why would i want my son to end up like me?... its fair to say that appointment i was angry and upset at being judged so quickly xx

i can totally relate to that.
i am really really strict with alexs diet. he doesnt have sweet (he doesnt like them anyway), his treats are grapes & raspberries. i dont give him crisp, or chocolate. he has lots of veg & fruit in his diet & only drinks water & milk. i seriously am not letting him live a life of being a fat child & then growing into a fat adult. when alex had his 1 year check, the doctor told me i should be keeping an eye on the kind of thing I gave him as he was a little over what they'd expect for his age. HE WAS 1 YEAR OLD and weighed 10lb 10oz at birth (i know).
I know for a fact they just looked at me & assumed I was feeding him up on cream cakes & chips.
he has his 2 year check last week & he weighs 2 stone, which is the exact weight they'd expect. I did ask the health visitor if he was a healthy weight..she said it was completely normal for a 2 yar old to weight around the 2 stone mark.

SO IN YOUR FACE YOU STUPID DOCTOR. IM NOT A BAD MOTHER AFTER ALL!

i had this argument with my mum the other day.... wel i dont totally blame my parents because at the end of the day i control what i put into my mouth i should have more will power and be able to control it but i havent. but i come from a family of 5 i have 2 brothers and were all big. growing up i remember my father having his cereal in a large mixing bowl and sitting down in the living room to a full tub of ice cream to hiself and mum n dad would always have takeaways too. now ive got my little bro come to live with us for a while and he was sat there at the dining room table with a large mixing bowl half full of nesquick cereal. when i tell my brother it isnt normal he tells me to shut up and we end up having a little argument... my mum always sticks up for him saying hes a man he needs more calories than a woman well in some respect that is right but he should not use a mixing bowl for his cereal so why cant she tell him hes wrong in this???? i dont know...... it does my head in a little.
the dietician says i should stick to 3 meals a day and dont snack if i can help it and im helping my brother by making him do it with me too but what if we had been made to only have 3 meals a day as kids????? and seen a treat as a treat not a daily think, i used to go to the cudboard in mums house and theyd be a pack of chocy buscuits now like a normal person would take 1 or 2 i used to sit and eat half a packet... y wasnt i made to think this is wrong as a child, why wasnt i show normal eating habbits?? if we had av been shown normal eating habbits as a child would we be big now????
anyway rant over.... lol just got me thinking again, i think mum does feel a little guilty when we have this conversation but she wont admit that they(our parents) play a big part in why we are so big today. i love my mum dearly and dont want her to feel bad about us kids because we have never wanted for anything but when i have my children one day they will be braught up totally different.

hey keeley i can relate to this to, i have four brotehrs n sisters in total lol and when we were kids when we went to our granparents i remember one time they had artic roll and me n my brother wanted some... instead of cutting two slices they just cut in half!!!!!!! outrageous now! and i wouldnt allow my son to eat half id have given him a slice...but when your kids you just think yipppeee lol unfortunatly at the time when you think 'argh its ok its a treat' can quickly turn into extremely bad eating habits that will last a lifetme.... these BMI charts are not correct, unless you the average height!! my 4 yr old is not! he s the height of a 7 yr old... so there fore he will weigh more.... i actually think 3 stone 13 is ok for a four yr old? these charts are ok as a guidence, there not the bible! xx

ooo keeley i hadnt finished lol, my mum is worried to over surgery and i know she feels guilty maybe a little bit as i was n a diet from 8! i have a twin sister who is tiny tiny so i will always look bigger when im compared to her, i rememebr once my mum weighed us both, and i was a stone to two heavier than emma and she went, right ive some good news and bad news, emma your to eat more cream cakes and kelly your on a diet,i think at the time she thought it was throw away comments but these are things you can remember for a long long time, i think she does feel guilty as she was constantly on at me about my weight but when i look at pictures there was nothing wrong with me,but that was when i thought i was fat, i was say topshop 12......unfortuantly i think years of negative attitudes, and a horrible relationship with food has caused me to end up like this its noones fault BUT MINE i dont mean to sound like im blaming my mum im not xx

nooo but she sure didnt help, lol! thats how i feel!, its weigh in day today for me and my little bro and im 5,5 n half and hes 5 foot 11 and last monday we weighed in at me 24st 1lbs and my bro 24st 4lbs ill let you know how weve got on when he finally gets his smelly back side out of bed hehe but my older brother is hugeee too and my mum n dad are! so surely that is proof in itself that my eating habbits are family related.

as for it being an addiction too, i deffo think it is! its exactly the same as an alcohol adiction. my husband has a problem with drink and i have a problem with food and we are both exactly the same only we are acting for different things... he can go without food for his beers and i can go with out anything for my food! together i dont think we help eachother like but we will get there in the end! we are both one week in, ive stopped eating and hes stopped drinking lets just hope this is the start to our now life together as both dont do us any good.
i keep ranting on this morning dont i? lol dont no whats up wiv me lol

thats what this forum is for keeley!! its like a lil diary :) good luck with weigh day, let me know how you got on you sound like your both doing fab :) x

This is such a sad story. Whilst the family is certainly guilty of bringing in kfc's etc, I do wonder why the nursing staff didn't do something to remove the food from her too, or perhaps they aren't allowed to. Once again though, this story highlights the need for psychological support both pre and post op. This poor lady was not in the right mindset to cope with the operation.

I've been saddened but not surprised by the comments made about her on another forum I go to:

Britain's fattest woman dies despite gastric band - General Discussion - Digital Spy Forums

I think this is so so sad. I do have sympathy for her and her family. Yes of course the family should have been tougher and said no, they have got to live with this now. Clearly the lady in her 20's was a normal healthy young lady and said the cause of her weight gain was due to post natal depression and getting comfort from food. I agree with her in that i think she should have been helped for her depression. The bigger she got the more depressed she got and being told you are the fattest woman caused her more pain and the more she needed her comfort her food. Its so sad and upsetting Ive read some of the comments and i say to them, she didn't chose to be this way, to be in bed for 4 years. Even in death people have no respect for her the trolley collapsed, do we need to read this the lady has died and can they get a coffin big enough, WHAT of course just needs to be made bigger its not impossible. Just hope she can now R.I.P xxx

Omg, this is so sad. Whenever I read stories like this I think to myself how that could be me! I hope I wouldnt get to that size as I would have a bit of self control, but Im sure she thought that too. Hope she R.I.P. x

Hi that is so sad to hear ,may she rest in peace !:(

I've just read the story and it's written in the way all articles in the Sun are written, with contempt for anything or anyone they cannot understand.

This is a woman, a wife, a mother and a daughter they are mocking and it is one of the most startling examples of the lack of humanity afforded to people addicted to food.

Whilst I know that this woman was instrumental in her own death, we cannot forget that people do not simply choose to become obese. Weight gain is often the visible manefestation of other problems in our current lives or in our past.

The comments made about this article show all too clearly that most people do not understand the difficulty we face in choosing WLS. This is radical and life changing surgery for everyone but can only work with if people surround themselves with a support network of people who will support rather than judge.

Sharon felt that postnatal depression caused her weight to spiral. For each of us it will be something uniquely personal to us. I'm just sad that she didn't get help sooner.

RIP Sharon

Back