• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Wondering about being pregnant after a bypass

everhopefull

Rgeular for help lol
I know this sounds daft but if I do have a bypass done I was wondering would it affect be being pregnant as this is why I want to loose the weight as well as my health.

Have any of you people out there got pregnant or know of anyone who has after a bypass or is it a no no.

Hi everhopefull. I know someone who had a bypass, and 5 weeks later found out she was prgnant. Her baby was born prem because the placenta had died due to malnutrition.
When the baby was 3 months old, this lady got pregnant again. And due to the pregnancies and over eating during them, she hasn't lost as much weight as she culd've and can now eat exactl the same way she could pre op.

They advise you don't get pregnant till at least 12 months after a bypass.

But it can be done I wouldnt want to get pregnant so early after anyways I would want to leave it till I had lost all the weight that I needed to.

Yes it can be done. This particular lady had been trying to get pregnant for 4 years. She lost 3 stone in the first 5 weeks, which was obviously enough to allow her to get pregnant.

I watched a repeat of Fat Doctor recently and they featured a gastric bypass patient who fell pregnant within a few months of her bypass. She lost a stone during the pregnancy and gave birth to a healthy 6lb + baby girl.
xxx

This was my primary reason for having the op - so fingers crossed it works in that way!

Please don't take this as gospel as I am no expert but ... when I was researching regarding pregnancy following weight loss surgery, I found that they advised to not get pregnant for 18 months following surgery due to the body having already gone through the trauma of surgery & the massive weight loss. The body needs time to adjust & 'balance' regarding vitamins & minerals etc for mother & baby.

Having said this, I don't think I'll wait that long after waiting 20 years already & time is creeping on for me!! ;)

Hiya! I've read that they can relax the band so that you can eat more when you're pregnant. Don't worry though - you will be so much healthier being lighter and pregnant and be in a better place mentally so you're doing the right thing. 18 months isn't long to wait!!!
I've got two girls, (was thinnish when had them) and really want more children which is one huge reason I want a band fitted so we're kinda in the same boat!
Take care.
Love,
Fay

I used to think 18 months was forever!! But after waiting (& trying 20 years!) you end up thinking, what's a wee bit longer! But at 41, my time is running out, ha!

[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]Pregnancy after Gastric Bypass Surgery[/FONT]
[FONT=Courier New, Courier, mono]Pregnancy on a morbidly obese woman is often at a higher risk due to several complicating factors such as pre-eclampsia. Most physicians recommend for women to get healthier before getting pregnant to avoid complications.

Because of this, women who are at least a hundred pounds overweight and wanting to have a healthy pregnancy are considering of undergoing weight loss surgery or the so-called gastric bypass surgery.

Pregnancy after a gastric bypass surgery is definitely possible and can be healthy as long as proper measures are followed.

Gastric bypass surgery is a procedure that reduces the stomach and bypasses the important parts of the small intestine. With a smaller stomach, the patient easily feels satisfied even with just a small amount of food. However, bypassing the more important, upper part of the small intestine, vitamins and minerals are less absorbed by the body, which may cause nutritional deficiencies.

Gastric bypass patients have maximum weight loss during the first few months after the surgery to about a year. This is due to the very limited amount of food taken by the patient, which can only be about 500 calories a day. As time goes by, the amount of food intake increases to a maximum of 1200 calories per day.

With this fact about the surgery, weight loss surgeons recommend that their patients postpone pregnancy until 18 months after the surgery. This is to let them regain their normal condition and stabilize nutrition absorption. After 18 months, most of the patients should have reached their ideal weight.

Once a gastric bypass patient knows about the pregnancy, she should consult not only her ob-gyne, but her weight loss surgeon as well. Not all gynecologists are familiar with the ins and outs of gastric bypass surgery. For a much better and healthier pregnancy, both health professionals should always be consulted all throughout the pregnancy.

There are also some usual tests that gynecologists recommend their patients to undergo that should not be done by gastric bypass patients. An example is the standard glucose tolerance test to check for gestational diabetes. Since the fluid required for this test is mainly glucose, this will definitely cause dumping syndrome to gastric bypass patients.

Thus, the weight loss surgeon may advise the gynecologists to test the patient's blood sugar instead. Also, weight loss surgeons may recommend a more effective prenatal multivitamins than what gynecologists usually recommends.

Pregnant women who have undergone gastric bypass surgery are also recommended to eat more often. Since they can only eat so much in a meal, eating more meals in a day is recommended to achieve proper nutrition both for the mother and the baby. Still, the post surgery diet, which is high-protein, low-carbohydrates and low fat, should be followed to avoid possible complications.

Pregnancy for gastric bypass patients is definitely possible and can even be healthier than other normal women. As long as proper precautions are taken, having a healthy baby will be a reality.
[/FONT]

It is commonly thought that pregnancy after laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (LRYGB) could be problematic, but the scientific evidence suggests quite the opposite. Women who lose weight following LRYGB have a much greater likelihood of becoming pregnant and have much less in the way of obstetric complications than obese women without surgery.

A recently published study by Patel et al 1 showed that pregnancy after LRYGB is safe, with an incidence of perinatal complications similar to that of non-obese patients, and lower than that of obese and severely obese patients, who had not undergone LRYGB.

Another study involving 2,423 patients who had undergone gastric bypass surgery between 2001 and 2004. Pregnancy outcomes within the first year after weight-loss / obesity surgery revealed no significant episodes of malnutrition, adverse fetal outcomes, or pregnancy complications2. The authors conclude that women can be reassured about the outcomes of pregnancy following gastric bypass.

So, if patients enquire about pregnancy following bypass, you can strongly reassure them!

Wow thats fot that info Honey-dd thats brill not even got near to haveing the bypass yet lol but thought I would get as much info about geting pregnant before I went to the dr.

Thanks everyone

just wanted to say good luck everhopefull one of my reasons for being banded is because i want another baby been trying 9yrs and no how soul destroying it can be especially when you feel time is not on your side my surgeon said he has had loads of patients fall pregnant but recommend a yrs wait befor trying

just wanted to say good luck everhopefull one of my reasons for being banded is because i want another baby been trying 9yrs and no how soul destroying it can be especially when you feel time is not on your side my surgeon said he has had loads of patients fall pregnant but recommend a yrs wait befor trying

Iv been trying 3 years i know that soul destroying feeling well :(,it was one of the main reasons i had the band ,but im afraid although im 27 time will not be on my side ,even though i paid private as i could not wait to get funding agreed ,it still might only be worth it for my other reasons:) , but suppose if my health gets better and i enjoy life again it was worth it

I hope all of you ladies that want a baby get your wish and that you all have very good pregnancies and healthy happy babies....((hug))....xx

Im glad this has been posted, as this is one of my main reasons for wanting surgery too. Obviously my 1st main reason is to be healthy and enjoy the rest of my life instead of being in this horrible state.
Thanks for the info Honey.
I hope we all get our wishes and prayers answered xx

Back