• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Worried ....

Butterfly1979

Im due to have a bypass on the 13th September and although I'm looking forward to having the surgery and being a new me afterwards, I am also very concerned about all the problems I have been reading about on the forum, I.e pains, wind, dumping and am starting to feel quite scared about what to expect afterwards. I have also read so many positive stories on here about so many great weight loses and this is what is keeping me positive but worried too...

its totally normal to worry, but it is so worth while. I had my bypass on 13th July and the day of surgery and the next day I suffered with wind but that is it I have had no pain whatsoever, I have not dumped (but I have been very careful to eat things that would not be likely to cause dumping) apart from constipation in week 3 I have been fine. I know everyone is different but the pro's definately out weigh the con's.

Its a learning curve and once you are clued up on all the pros and cons you will see its a very positive future on the cards for you.Otherwise its stay as you are and start on the road to ill health,no social life and a shorter life.That is if you cant get to grips with losing weight and changing your lifestyle on your own.Maz x

I have my surgery scheduled for 6th sept. I too am a bit worried about the post op potential problems. Theres no way i want to not go ahead. But i am still worried x

All of that too from me lol and my op is a week today! BUT the inspiration gained from this site with its ups and downs spells it out for me and I am going for it big or not so big style!

Hello all, i am one month post op , and i had all of your worries... i was a shaking wreck on the way to theatre , i did have a few problems post op, but thats good news for you guys if you look at the statistics! hee hee. i so wish i could put your minds at ease , but i cant ,all i can do is promise you it will be worth it ! i had some excellent advice pre op ... create a collage, i went through magazines and cut out pictures of clothes id like to wear , things i would love to do ,like ride a horse, and every time i had an attack of nerves , i looked at it , i now have it on the inside of my wardrobe door , i also took a photo of it on my phone and it is now my wallpaper. So every time i am sick of chewing , sick of soup,and burping, i have a look at it ....... it may seem a bit childish , but it really helps, i cant recommend it enough.

Good luck with your journeys-trust me... YOU WONT REGRET IT :) XXXXXX

Hi all i can honestly say i couldnt wait for my surgery i had no fears whatsoever and ive not had a single problem since coming out of theatre its the best thing thats happened to me in years. dont think of the what ifs just think about the new you thats coming its such a fantastic experience im 5.5 stone down now and my life has been totally transformed and you will love as i do all the positive comments its great so just take a good look at who you are now cos your gonna change drastically very soon lol the very best of luck to you

I am in JED's Camp, no fears before hand, well the odd dream, but nothing in real life. (And well done with your loss JED) I thought I would suffer from wind, but not a bit, so we are all different, and worrying does you no good either. Just take each day as it comes. Some have suffered complications, but maybe they have ailments you don't or may have suffered whatever surgery the had.

I thought it better to have this surgery now and take any consequences, than have a heart attack or a stoke a few years down the line. I couldn't see myself living far into my 50's but now I see no end to my future. It is just a scary one at the moment due to personal circumstances.

Awwe glad you have had your happy ending, Neeta. I would have described mine just as you have above until a week ago. Not long now, for the new you for you and your fella.

Thank you so much for your feedback. I have to keep focused as I know surgery is the only way forward for me but I'm just worried as I had a band few years back, lost ten stones then had to have it removed and put nearly all the weight back on , but for some reason I'm
Trying not to get my hopes up in case it does not work? Am I being stupid??

Well I think if your band hadn't failed or was removed for whatever reason you wouldn't have put all that weight back on. You cannot really have the bypass removed, so are stuck with your tool, and will stay slimmer. I did so well on the milk diet, but knew there was an end date. Without a bypass I would just have continued getting bigger and bigger. I know I am early days with no problems, but I know without the bypass, there was no way I would loose weight AND keep it off.

Look forward to the 13th and relish your life afterwards xxx

I too wasn't particularly scared beforehand, even though I'd never had surgery as an adult before. My life was heading towards nothing good at all at 380lbs. Things simply had to improve after surgery.

Everyone's journey is vastly different, as this site show. I've had no complications so far (touch wood - long may it last) and I have never felt better. The dumping is very different from person to person - I don't dump much and have had hardly any dumping or vomiting even early on. I had literally no pain after surgery, and I recovered quickly and easily. The 'hard' bits were the pre op diet and the first 10 days or so where I was all over the place emotionally (and nobody had told me about this before - confusing!). I went from being emotional and upset to ecstatic within the space of an hour - LOL.

Anyway.. just to say that being scared is very normal. Just focus on your life ahead and all the things you'll be able to do afterwards and how dramatically you are going to improve your health!

As for re-gaining the weight. Let me advise you that it's not impossible to regain! I have gained already a few months back, just by not being focused for a few weeks. So when people say 'xy stone gone forever' that's a bit naive in my opinion. Yes most people probably don't gain everything back, but it is very possible to regain weight. You're probably just not going to read about that so much on a forum like this. Your bypass or sleeve is a tool to assist you with losing weight and keeping it off. It's up to you how you use it.

Good luck xx

Hun its perfectly normal to be nervous! Its fear of the unknown - believe me we've all had those thoughts!

Just remember its a tool thats going to turn your life around! The day after my op, sitting in hospital and sipping water I did wonder what had I done, but that lasted a few minutes and I can honestly say I'm so glad that the doctor I saw at the hospital 18 months ago about my tiredness recommended that I consider bariatric surgery and asked my GP to refer me. I always thought it was something other people were given the chance to have, not something I'd ever be allowed to have on the NHS (couldn't afford it myself!)

Since august last year, with 2 pre-op diets and my surgery 2 months ago, i've lost exactly 6 and a half stone! I've still got a way to go, about another 7 or 8 stone to lose but already I fell so much better in myself. I can walk further without getting back ache, I can walk around the office at work without getting breathless, climbing stairs is getting easier too! I've got rid of so many clothes that are literally falling off of me and am introducing colour to my wardrobe instead of everything being black or dull colours!

Believe me hun - you won't regret it once its done.

I'll be thinking of you - 13 Sept is my birthday!!

Worried also.

Funnily enough, I am having my op on 13/09/11 at Telford. I am not so worried about the op as I did have a band fitted in 08' which was not successful. I am worried about afterwards. I am a chocoholic. Naturally worried about dumping and leakage. No-one seems to mention this. I know the percentages are very low and if I stay like I am, well I won't be around for my 4 year old daughter.
We lost our son to cancer when he was 14. I lay awake at night thinking if I die it will be another tragedy. Should I have it done. Yes, I am going to go through it. I have to do this for me and no-one else really. I have to put all these worries aside and live a life I have been missing out on.

Sarahss15, I understand where your coming from as I am a single mum of a six year old who I adore and I too am worried if something goes wrong I will abandon him like his father did, although I want to have a better life and be healthier so I can do more things with him like run around the park, go swimming etc.., aswell as feeling like a normal person by being slimmer and fitter, but it's very scary.

Back