• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

WRAP - Frequently asked questions

Im wondering how long I have to wait before I can do exercise? Im a walker/swimmer, but will probably join the local gym too. Any advice?
xx

Wobblestokie you can walk (and are encouraged to!) from the day after your op. It helps get you moving and disperse that pesky gas, and also helps with avoiding blood clots in the legs etc. Swimming I would definitely wait for 6 weeks until your wounds have fully healed and are not susceptible to infection - this was the advice of my provider. Not long to go now! x

Thanks Gillykit, I did wonder about the pool and infection. But walking is my thing, so Ill be up and about as soon as I am able. Did you wear the white stockings after surgery, is it recommended? xx

Haha those sexy anti-embolism stockings :) No I didn't, as the ones they gave me at the hospital were cutting into me and would have caused more harm than good, so I was advised by the discharge nurse to just keep mobile. I was walking pretty much as soon as they let me out of bed and was up to 3 miles a day by about 10 days post-op. xx

Last night was the first time I had ever heard of this procedure.I'm from Australia and from what I've read on the Aussie forums is they are starting to do it here now.
My questions are did you have the bitted fitted also,are you happy with it...and mainly your reason for choosing this method as opposed to the band or the sleeve?

At what point do they do a gastectomy? I think I read somewhere on the site that someone asked to be out of it for that part or I could have this wrong.

At what point do they do a gastectomy? I think I read somewhere on the site that someone asked to be out of it for that part or I could have this wrong.

I guess it depends who is doing the surgery and where. Dr Hrubys colleagues do the gastrectomy the day before surgery, and you can ask for a sedative if you feel you want one:) I did!:)

Last night was the first time I had ever heard of this procedure.I'm from Australia and from what I've read on the Aussie forums is they are starting to do it here now.
My questions are did you have the bitted fitted also,are you happy with it...and mainly your reason for choosing this method as opposed to the band or the sleeve?

Hi

My reasons for choosing the wrap were:

1. No foreign object inside me - Band
2. No refills - Band
3. Nothing wrong with my stomach (except its size:rolleyes:) so why remove it. Sleeve
4. Cost.

xx

I guess it depends who is doing the surgery and where. Dr Hrubys colleagues do the gastrectomy the day before surgery, and you can ask for a sedative if you feel you want one:) I did!:)

As will I....

xx

As a nurse I feel that I do have to correct this information. Having a wrap does not in any way involve a gastrectomy. A gastrectomy is the surgical removal of the stomach or part of it.

What you do have is a gastroscopy which is basically a camera on a flexible tube which is put down your throat into the stomach so that your stomach can visibly checked for any problems prior to surgery.

Does anyone know where Miss Malone and gonnabethinners thread has gone (it was called "in Turnov now") or something similar like that. It was under the General Surgical weightloss discussion board.

Does anyone know how they are doing?

xx

Did you mean endoscopy? Where they put a camera down your throat to look at your stomach? I had to have one with Dr Cierny. It's important so they can ensure you don't have any ulcers, etc.

Did you mean endoscopy? Where they put a camera down your throat to look at your stomach? I had to have one with Dr Cierny. It's important so they can ensure you don't have any ulcers, etc.

An endoscopy is looking in any body cavity using an endoscope. A gastroscopy is looking at the stomach and upper GI tract, via the mouth, with an endoscope :)

Hi,

I received an email today from Dr H. Nervous and starting to think is the wrap a better option than the band especially as long term it seems like it is irreverible (jitter bug I guess lol).

Anyway. I have not responded to his email yet as I just wanted to ask you guys what are the questions that I should be asking him?

Probably a stupid question but what if they find some scarring or ulcers in your stomach when your already in prague? Do you get some of your money back or is it all lost forever? I'm really worried about that, I'm healthy, other than big. Is there likely to be something wrong?

If the gastroscopy or other test shows some problems which mean the op isnt possible, you will have to pay the costs of the the pre op tests. So yes, you lose the costs of the flights, returns, and the pre op tests (E400) but thats all. You maybe able to return at a later date. They may take a biopsy to test, and then send the results to your gp, if its looking more serious than an ulcer.

Astraste, as you're young and fit, i doubt there is anything wrong!

Dr Hruay emailed me on Friday. I responded Sunday and I have not had a response yet. I am assuming that even though he intially emails you the responses after that take just as long???

I am going to go for the 10th March. What normally happens at this stage. How does it get all confirmed in terms of payment etc? Does he need any information from my GP as some threads have mentioned our GP's.

Thanks

The responses will speed up the nearer your date is. You can ask now for a confirmation of the cost, which you pay after the pre op tests.

An overall health report from your gp is useful but not necessary.

Back