• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Booze???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am talking about the odd glass of wine, not a binge like I used to. I have been advised by the nutritionist and a very experienced surgeon that as long as it is drank with plenty of water that it shouldn't be a problem, I get that people have a higher tendency towards addiction switching but believe me I have been through that many times in my life. I will be sensible and don't plan on becoming a binge drinker again as its what I was like before the op and was one of the things I wanted to change. Im sorry but I simply asked your opinion, not that i'd take it over what phoenix health have suggested as i'm guessing they wouldnt even consider advising that its relatively safe if it is as you all suggest more dangerous than swimming naked with great white sharks!

As you are clearly so impressed with your provider, I am wondering why you even deemed it necessary to consult with the members of this forum. After all, you are their patient.

I wonder if perhaps something inside you knows there's something not quite right with their advice.

After 4 weeks I highly doubt your liver has recovered from the bruising that is bound to be caused when it's being moved and proded during the surgery so to then do something that could potentially weaken it is stupid in my opinion.

I had my operation in July and had my first drink in November, you have to be very careful as no doubt 1 wine and you will be drunk, 2 and you will be wrecked.

When I used to go out me and my friend would polish a litre of vodka getting ready and then drink 10-15 drinks while out. I can now drink 4 vodkas and I'm very merry. That's my limit.

All I am saying is be careful. I would consult your GP, maybe their advice may help.

To be fair I've been swimming with sharks...nothing bad happened can't say the same about a drink lol. Lets just be honest, you are going to do what you want to do. So do it but if you ask for people's opinions, you will get them and not everyone is going to agree with you. That's life. Alcohol always brings out big differences on this site, it always has. I like to think it comes for a place of concern, experience etc. I know that's where it comes from for me. What I say might never help anyone but it's good to try and I'll always appreciated the help I've got from this site, the friends I've made and support I've received - even if I ignored a lot of the advice because I thought I knew better, I didn't but again that's life and I very much needed to learn the hard way. Some of us do. I admire those who don't.

Not like your other half will be drinking either if she is expecting? Lime and sodas all round, then? I had a sip of my partners wine last night, one of my previous preferred types. Tasted awful :( weird how palate changes post surgery...

I have to wonder if you have even had surgery tbh?

Especially as your bmi was so low to begin with?

Its hard to believe that a reputable team would EVER recommend drinking so soon after major surgery!

I apologise if I am wrong, but personally I think you are either deluded, or making the whole thing up?

This site is for genuine people, with genuine problems, and if you really have had surgery, and you decide to drink so soon after, no doubt you will expect the good old NHS to mop up your health problems when it all goes wrong!

On my 2 week check up with my dietician, she asked if I had had any alcohol, I was shocked at the question and of course I hadn't. I don't have any intention of drinking until I have lost the weight as I see it as just empty calories. I am 3 weeks post op and have been out twice, even went for a birthday meal last night. I drank water and took my own nas squash and my own purée meal ( with the landlords permission)!!!

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

You have to wonder if i've had the surgery??? My BMI was 32.6 and I paid for it privately. Heres a picture of when I had the staples out just to prove.

image-2925564332.jpg

I was seriously told that after a month I could have the odd glass of wine. I can take a picture of my scars now aswell if that helps. Not remotely a wind up.

Yeh but you do get people like that...trolls! People here just want to offer you advice from their own experience, I don't drink and never have done so I've no advice about drinking!

I had to struggle to convince the surgeon to do my band (private) with a bmi of 37, but my BP is high so classed it as a comorbidity

I did too. They were pretty apprehensive when I first spoke to them. I had a job convincing them but when I spoke to their psychologist they realised how much happier and healthier I would be. My view was i could either do it now and nip it in the bud or go through it in my 50s with a stupidly high BMI as my weight was in an upwards spiral and all the risks that would then bring.

Yep, that's me, 50 odd and lot of control! :D my rationale wasn't about getting the weight off its about keeping if off for me. Even though I'm fairly young at heart, active, good career etc AND I can lose weight easily enough I just couldn't run the risk of being this big in my 60s and beyond, if beyond was an option as I might not have made it....

Any ideas how long until it's safe to have a beer after roux en y?

I have thought really hard about this before bypass, the best info i can give you is to drink Guinness or ipa real ale, they are quite low in carbs and the carbs to sugar ratio is quite low, im really looking forward to a pint gagging and luckily enough i drink guinness, real ales do not have gas so you wont get
uncomfortable, but rule of thumb is anything above 4% has too many sugars for us, goodluck let me know how your first session goes,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back