• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Booze???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cannot comprehend how either of you can have spent the amount of money you have, to get this surgery, and yet your main concern is how soon you can consume empty calories from alcohol.

I am not some preachy non drinker, I could drink a lot of men under the table, but I am having this surgery to save my life and I will do whatever it takes to succeed. If that means not having alcohol then so be it.

My husband is paying for my operation and I will not let it be a waste of money for him.

Lynn x

Interested to know if everyone's opinions on alcohol are the same for banded people too? I'm off to Vegas in 4 weeks which will be 6 weeks post op. I assumed I wouldn't be able to drink but my consultant said a small drink on occasion wouldn't hurt, although he explained about wasting calories etc. To be honest I'm not missing alcohol but I'm absolutely petrified of heights so I may change my mind if I make it to the top of the stratosphere ;-)

I cannot comprehend how either of you can have spent the amount of money you have, to get this surgery, and yet your main concern is how soon you can consume empty calories from alcohol.

I am not some preachy non drinker, I could drink a lot of men under the table, but I am having this surgery to save my life and I will do whatever it takes to succeed. If that means not having alcohol then so be it.

My husband is paying for my operation and I will not let it be a waste of money for him.

Lynn x

Hi Ladilindy, cannot comprehend , are you for real, empty calories, Did you know there are less calories in a pint of guinness than there is in skim milk, total fact read up for yourself, my money is exactly that my money i have not got the surgery on the nhs because i could afford it privately, paving the way for someone to get it done on the nhs,

also guinnes, 126 calories a pint, 0 fat 8g carbs of which 0.05g is sugar, and to top it off 1.5g protein per 400ml, protein needed after op, i cannot drink milk take yogurts or have dairy, so need protein another way , i will physically not be able to consume 90g of protein to sustain my 6ft 3 " frame
with only a bmi of 40, that was pre op last tuesday i am now bmi 35.8 after losing two stone and feel awful, no pain very weak, so i believe at this rate by the time i am on puree i will most probably loose another two stone and feel ill, please dont judge people be nice and encourage in other ways, booze is not the be all and end all, but if your willing to never enjoy yourself again with empty calories then thats your choice, x

Interested to know if everyone's opinions on alcohol are the same for banded people too? I'm off to Vegas in 4 weeks which will be 6 weeks post op. I assumed I wouldn't be able to drink but my consultant said a small drink on occasion wouldn't hurt, although he explained about wasting calories etc. To be honest I'm not missing alcohol but I'm absolutely petrified of heights so I may change my mind if I make it to the top of the stratosphere ;-)

I think it all depends on how you define "small" and just how often is "on occasion", bearing in mind the effects of alcohol are likely to be potentiated by smaller stomach capacity, less calls, minimal carbs etc. Chuck a long haul flight in ....I would be worried about feeling p$&&ed and ill. I'm making the choice to avoid at the mo and give my liver a rest, especially after it was man handled during the op

I think it all depends on how you define "small" and just how often is "on occasion", bearing in mind the effects of alcohol are likely to be potentiated by smaller stomach capacity, less calls, minimal carbs etc. Chuck a long haul flight in ....I would be worried about feeling p$&&ed and ill. I'm making the choice to avoid at the mo and give my liver a rest, especially after it was man handled during the op

Hi I'm only referring to when I'm away, so I'm guessing if I did 2 nights out if 4 and then it would be a glass of wine which would last thoughout the evening or vodka. I've never drank on a plane, I stick to water. I probably won't have anything I was just interested in opinion xx thanks xx

I would likely stick to pale drinks like white wine or vodka as they have less convenors in them so less likely to have toxic side effects

Just read my last post back it looks like I'm planning on drinking and I'm not! I just wondered if I did have 1 whilst away would it be bad.......I don't miss it at all. My other problem is the group we're away with don't know about my op and there's only so much "dieting/detoxing" stories I can use, when I've flown all that way for a 50th birthday celebration. My patience and willpower will certainly be at test..........sorry for hijacking your original thread x

Just read my last post back it looks like I'm planning on drinking and I'm not! I just wondered if I did have 1 whilst away would it be bad.......I don't miss it at all. My other problem is the group we're away with don't know about my op and there's only so much "dieting/detoxing" stories I can use, when I've flown all that way for a 50th birthday celebration. My patience and willpower will certainly be at test..........sorry for hijacking your original thread x

Hi There
THE booze wont hurt you, all this empty calories is a load of nonsense , look at it another way, how many times in the next 12 mths will you go to vegas again, please enjoy yourself , and remind yourself you have a band and in america you will not get down some of the delicious offerings in the food dept, you have to have one salvation, dont allow the band to halt your life its a tool only to work with, if it was not able to accomodate the booze then surely it would have been designed differently, just lay off the amazing vegas foods they are alot worse than the vodkas, enjoy x

You could listen to the person whose only just had the op or you could listen to the people who've been there and done it for 2-3 years. Your choice. One probably wouldn't hurt but I would try in a safe place first. I would also wait a minimum of six months. I waited two years and then haven't bothered since.

You could listen to the person whose only just had the op or you could listen to the people who've been there and done it for 2-3 years. Your choice. One probably wouldn't hurt but I would try in a safe place first. I would also wait a minimum of six months. I waited two years and then haven't bothered since.

Lap band patients do not have problems that bypass patients have, just because i just paid to have my op recently does not condemn my opinion and does not make me wrong, you have done well on your bypass and chose not too drink, good for you, the post clearly stated if you go and enjoy a drink stay away from the vegas foods, they are much worse, good luuck in your desicion but sometimes with the reality of someone elses situation unrelated
to our own , is that they want info from everywhere to make sure they are doing the right thing

I had a girls weekend three weeks after my band. I had a small glass of bailies each night for three nights and felt fine

I do have to say that unfortunately I am one of the statistics and have developed s bit of s wine habit. Always liked a wine but have found it harder to cut it out than I ever thought I would have

Went on a 24 hour journey to Arizona. On the way home I was club class and had access to the first class lounges both in Phoenix and Heathrow drank a lot good few wines in both of the lounges and the flight and felt fine throughout. The reason I would like to cut out the wine is the calories plus it lowers my resolve and I tend to pick and graze or all out binge

But... If people want to incorporate alcohol into their plan, I think they can. Some on here do successfully. I unfortunately need to cut it out all together as the weeks I indulge I don't drop Weight :-(

I possibly have a more negative view because of the amount of people I see during the course of my job who misuse alcohol to the extent that it affects their health and livelihood. They generally all think they are fine with the amount that they drink, think about calories rather than alcohol content, and are generally very shocked when they get a reality check. Or go into complete denial. Problem is that post WLS we are all going to be more susceptible to the negative physical side of alcohol intake, and talking about self medication with food/booze/whatever and the nature of addiction is a whole new and massive subject ......

So in summary I think the message is...just be mindful. I love a G&T or a glass of wine, but not sure it's worth it at the moment...

I think we are all different. We have had different surgeries and all have different triggers. But I love a healthy debate xx ;-)

Consie's earlier post made me really interested in the calories in guiness (I like it pre op also - blame it on the midwives who advise it! ) and I admit I thought it was high.

Anyhow the guiness website has slightly different figures. But essentially a pint of the draft stuff (568 ml) seems to be 199 calories, 1.87 protein and 15.8 carbs - unless my maths is rubbish - wouldn't be the first time!!!!!

Attachments

• beer!.jpg
    beer!.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 32
Consie's earlier post made me really interested in the calories in guiness (I like it pre op also - blame it on the midwives who advise it! ) and I admit I thought it was high.

Anyhow the guiness website has slightly different figures. But essentially a pint of the draft stuff (568 ml) seems to be 199 calories, 1.87 protein and 15.8 carbs - unless my maths is rubbish - wouldn't be the first time!!!!!

Hi Debs

Guiness , is brewed all over the world not only in Ireland, the figures i quoted were for the 4.0% extra cold in uk,
its the 4.0 that is the important part, ireland have stronger Guiness, as do Australia and i was in cyprus last year and there guiness in a can was 5.2 more alchohol more carbs, stick at 4% and your fine, carbs equate to 10g and 0.05g sugar,

Good luck

Hi Debs Guiness , is brewed all over the world not only in Ireland, the figures i quoted were for the 4.0% extra cold in uk, its the 4.0 that is the important part, ireland have stronger Guiness, as do Australia and i was in cyprus last year and there guiness in a can was 5.2 more alchohol more carbs, stick at 4% and your fine, carbs equate to 10g and 0.05g sugar, Good luck

I didn't realise the figures were Ireland Guinness - my error - I just went into the UK website for a quick butchers as I was so cheered! Either set of stats is a promising notion in years to come anyhow :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back