• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

cant get back on track

tray

i really dont know what to do, i have totally fallen of the wagon so to say ,
i have got back in to really bad eating choices , like chocolate, crisps , bread , all the things i used to do. i cant eat as much as i used to, but can still eat a lot .

i dont weigh myself anymore, one because i got obsessed with it, and two im affraid it will tell me i have put weight on. i dont feel like i have, but then again i dont know, my hair is also starting fall out now so that is worrying me to,
im in constant pain with my back , i thought it would get easier by losing almost 6 stone but nope its getting worse.
i thank god for all the support you have all given me, over the last few months, but i really am beginning to feel like i am slipping again.
i dont seem to get protein in me, as when it comes to meals i never want a meal, like last night i made a shepards pie and i could only eat 3 mouthfalls and that was it, as i just didnt want it, but later on i had a few chocs, and a slice of wholemeal bread with crab paste on it,
when i do have a meal i get full after a few bites but then after an hour im feeling hungry, i have no idea what is going on ... any advice would be great . and yes before anyone else says it i know the bypass is only a tool, and we have to work with it , but old habit are hard to kill. i never used to eat meals very often ,but i would graze all day and thats what is happening again ......im feeling so down now .....:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Tray... you are around about the same weight as me right now... why don't we work together... I'm doing a daily food log... will be posting soon and we weigh in on Saturdays... join us if you feel you can love and weigh in next week to give yourself nine days.... I've just regained almost a stone due to health and it's not good...
I'm thinking of you love xxx

Here if I can help... xxx

Hi Tray,

this must be really overwhelming post op because in the early days it's like a feeling of "there is no going back to old ways and old habits".

the best thing I can say is GRAB THE BULL BY IT'S HORNS!

get back on the scale and assess wether or not any damage has been done, face the fear and then you can begin to address it.

take a long hard look at your before and now pictures, look how far you have come...... you've done great, but in your heart you know you want to go a little further.... right?

Only you can do this, you've been making bad choices, OK, don't beat yourself up anymore, what is done is done and gone. Re-focus on your goal.

Maybe you need to plan some menus for each week, allow yourself snacks but try to keep them healthy, go shopping and stock up on the good stuff that will help you suceed.

maybe don't buy any choocies and stuff that tempts you for a couple of weeks, even if the kids (or rest of household like them) ask them to support you by eating those things outside of the home for a while until you find your strength to resist it again.

If you have to buy treats for the kids, buy one each day locally rather than getting it a a multi pack. I know that helps me, Pre op I could devour a multi pack, but if there is only 2 bars in the cupboard for my two kids I would not eat it an leave them without.

Bananas a great filler in between and I find they help to deal with the head hunger.

For me it also helps to ALWAYS sit down for my meal and to have 3 meals a day, although I too could easily go without. Sometimes I don't eat with the family, but save it for say 8pm when they have gone to bed and I have the munchies, so I'm eating but at least it is my dinner rather than excess snacks or grazing.

It is hard to stay focused, I've been living on this site, just reading the diaries and posts helps me to stay focused and motivated.

All the best hun

Hun, give yourself a break.

Stress is not good, it will just lead you to more destructive behaviour.

At least you know what you are doing isnt constructive.

A good bit of advice i live by is: Take each day at a time - if you have a bad day eating wise dont think "oh blimey, thats me done then, ive really let myself down!"

instead think "Thats a shame, maybe tomorrow will be a better day" and start again tomorrow.

You have done so well so far hun, dont let this get the better of you. We are all going through the same thing, if only they would take the piece of brain out that makes us want the wrong things eh? xxxxxxx

I cant advise you hun..I just wondered if you had spoken with the L&D yet for advise since a few months ago???

Keep posting Tracey....we are here for you. x

Hi hun,

I'm pre op so can't speak from experience. But what the others have said makes a lot of sense.

What I will say though is don't be so hard on yourself. You've done great so far and you should give yourself a pat on the back for that.
:patback:

NO MORE GUILT. For me, once this op happens, I am done with the incessant guilt trips over things I should or shouldn't have eaten! That's what's getting us down and it's completely unnecessary.

One day at a time, in fact, one MEAL at a time. Make a good choice with the next meal, then tackle the meal thereafter when it comes. Rinse and repeat. You can do it, you know you can!

:hug99:

Tray,

nobody is saying you cant have, biscuits, crisps and nice stuff, but you really need to learn moderation, I know it is hard cos our moderation button broke in all of us a long time ago, else we wouldnt be in the mess we find ourselves today..... But what i do want you to hear is the importance of putting the right food in that your body NEEDS and that is definately Protein and vitamins, so get back to basics, protein first, veg , then carbs and yes have a biscuit or 2 when you fancy but LIMIT IT your health depends on it and your hair falling out is a sign that all is not as good as it could be...

We are all here for you, YOU CAN DO IT!!!

thanks everyone, i am trying to get back on track . i went shopping tonight and i thought im in a hurry so ill get a bar of choc, then i said "no your not" and i bought a banana instead , i have now stocked up on fruit, and some soups with meat in them, and they seem to have a bit of protein in them .. i am also now trying to drink more milk and eat cheese and eggs . as you all say i have come this far i dont want to mess it up .. so heres looking forward to the next week of eating healthy again.. my job doesnt help as im on the road driving a lot, so when i stop at a garage, i just grab what ever i can, and normally its crap ...lol but not any more, im going to take fruit with me .... so lets see how the next week pans out xxxx

You know where we are if we can help Tray and our weekly weigh in, plus daily meal comparison...
Good luck and well done today... at least your thinking about it and that's half the battle if not more...

Love and hugs xxx

Aww Im sorry you are struggling at the moment Tray, Im newly post op really so can only offer limited adivce. I think the key to this bypass malarky is moderation, but like others have said its hard to know what is ok when for years we have got it wrong! I would say that if you feel you are having too many treats then you probably are....try and limit them to a level you feel happy with. Like Angie said, you are allowed some treats. Good luck hun at least you have pulled yourself up before you did any damage :D Good for you! XX

Tray are you still having problems with 'real' food?

A successful bypasser once told me there is nothing wrong with a bit of what you fancy, so long as you've eaten what you should be eating first!

If you've eaten your 3 meals in the day and they were good choices why shouldn't you have a pack of crisps (i'm guessing you go for the lower fat ones :) ) if you fancy them. You're a grown woman who probably like me had a weight issue the whole life so you don't need me telling you about 'moderation'.....

Bite the bullet, weigh yourself (you don't need to tell us if you've gained or lost), give yourself a new starting point and learn how to eat properly again! You can do this, i'm here for you! I won't/can't judge you as i hear where you are coming from...

Come on girl you can do it xxx

Tray I've had similar struggles this week for the first time. The best bit of advice I can give you is this: can the guilt, but nip this in the bud NOW.

You need to eat the healthy food, snack mainly on fruit, nuts, cheese or yoghurt if you have any room left....then you won't even want to eat the rubbish!

I honestly think it's just about getting into good habits, and sticking to them, and realsing that you want to be slim more than you want to eat badly.

Much love, hugs and encouragement.
Grace xxx

Tray everyone has given you very sound advice,everything I would of said.My bit would be PLAN,PLAN and PLAN some more.Plan your shopping,meals,packed lunches.I think we all worry about regain I know I do.Best of luck on getting back on track,I know you can do it.Maz x

Hey hun .... you remember when you had to stop eating all of those things right before the surgery and right after.... you can do this you just have to stop eating them. =) i BELIEVE IN YOU... anyways there are vitamins supplements that help with hair loss... ask your doc

Hi Tray, I'm at goal but noticed a while ago that old treats were creeping in. I was like you, not having much of my dinner and then feeling hungry so would end up snacking. What I have recently done is if I don't eat much of my dinner I put it in the fridge and then when i get hungry later on I have some more of my meal so that I am still only eating what I had planned to eat and also therefore know that I am eating good healthy food. I think if you don't eat your dinner you say to yourself, well I haven't eaten much so it won't hurt a bag of crisps, biscuits etc, but I found that I was starting to eat more of the food that has no nutritional value so this is what I am now doing. Hope that helps, but now you know you can do something about it.

We all slip so just start again, u cant do anything about the pass so just start ur eating plan again and u will start feeling better.
All the best, we are here if u need to chat x

Tray, At least you've identified what is going on and you're trying to do something about it. Sending you lots of encouraging vibes and hugs.

Rebirthxx

Hiya i haven't posted for a while but when i read this post i felt i should reply, i also am in the same position as you hun, i have been making bad food choices but in my case i have gained some weight :cry::cry::cry:. I am just over 2 yrs post op and have been struggling for a while but have been too ashamed to say anything :eek:, everyday i say to myself today i will be better and sometimes i am but mostly i find myself snacking on all the wrong foods and not eating my food groups :sigh:
I went to see my dietician yesterday expecting to get a telling off, but she was so nice and just went through what i should be doing, i knew everything she said but it's not so easy to put it into practice :sigh:. I have been under a lot of stress lately and suffering depression doesn't help either as i tend to comfort eat :(
I AM going to keep trying to get back on track and start losing some weight again, the only reassuring thing is that i know that if i eat the right things and do some exercise i know the weight will come off relatively easily :), so that thought keeps me going.
I am going to start writing down what i put into my mouth so i can keep track of what i am eating and hopefully that will help.
All we can do is keep trying and support from our families and everybody on here will hopefully help us.
Sorry if i rambled on a bit but i hope this lets you know that you are not alone xx :)

thank you all so much for your support,

i do still find real food as julie put it a struggle. like i had chicken with potatoes and peas last night, and it made me feel sick . i
think a lot of my trouble is that i get so fed up with feeling sick, or it getting stuck, that i take the easy option of eating the foods that i know will go down easy.
but i must admit that after my dinner, as i couldnt eat all of it, a few hours later i was hungry, and was going to eat some crisps, but i had a slice of toast with peanut butter on it, so i felt good about that ,

this morning im going to try and have scrabbled egg on toast,to try and get some protein in me as i cant eat cereal still.
thanks again for being there for us all to have a rant about our problems xxxxxx

Tray have you tried ReadyBrek, I have just re-discovered this, I used to love it years ago but just stopped having it, and then whilst in hospital recently they had some and I now have it every day and love it...... Might be worth trying honey!!

Back