• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Coke

Are people eating jelly in the first few weeks post op? I asked my team about that and was told not for 8 weeks

I was allowed to at soft foods. So after two weeks. Providers give different guidelines.

I think I can at the soft food stage, 4 weeks post op x

Ok so you crave a pre-op luxury. Sounds like your a human being to me! You know that having a fizzy drink might stop your surgery working & I'm sure your not silly enough to risk this , so go & get yourself a cola flavoured ice lolly, a chewy cola sweet (just 1 though- they're not good 4 u!) or a sugar free lolly.
If I want chocolate (my full fat coke!), I'll have an options hot choc. It's not the same but its good enough & it gets me through. It's no longer a compromise but a welcome choice.
You're a grown woman, you can make a good choice. You know full fat coke it a no no, even if you still want it! A lot of people on here have said that their tastes change post surgery, maybe it wont be as good as you remember? You know you shouldn't do it, make a positive change now. If I had the choice of full fat coke or chocolate v early death from obesity, i know what I'd choose!

I am allowed Jelly on Soft food stage - Post Op Day 35, but told I need to mush it up and not let a big chunk go down. xx

Ok so you crave a pre-op luxury. Sounds like your a human being to me! You know that having a fizzy drink might stop your surgery working & I'm sure your not silly enough to risk this , so go & get yourself a cola flavoured ice lolly, a chewy cola sweet (just 1 though- they're not good 4 u!) or a sugar free lolly.
If I want chocolate (my full fat coke!), I'll have an options hot choc. It's not the same but its good enough & it gets me through. It's no longer a compromise but a welcome choice.
You're a grown woman, you can make a good choice. You know full fat coke it a no no, even if you still want it! A lot of people on here have said that their tastes change post surgery, maybe it wont be as good as you remember? You know you shouldn't do it, make a positive change now. If I had the choice of full fat coke or chocolate v early death from obesity, i know what I'd choose!

Hi Emma,
Thanks for this.
I've just opened a can of diet coke and wet my lips with it, not actually drinking any.
Didn't taste that amazing to be honest!

my soft food starts after 8 weeks

Stage 1 - liquids only (month 1)
Stage 2 - pureed foods (month 2)
Stage 3 – soft/normal foods (month 3)
Stage 4 – normal/textured diet (month 4 onwards).

I think i have a belts and braces surgeon he cuts staples then goes back over with super glue. Insist on an extra hole to. I have six bullet holes

I'm 4 weeks liquid
2 weeks puree
2 weeks soft

I was two liquid, 4-6 soft and then solids, but because of how well I healed, I ended up doing 2 liquid, 3.5 soft and then solids.

On medical advice I should add!

My food recovery process is 12 weeks:

Days 1 - 10 Liquid,
Days 11 - 35 Puree,
6 weeks Soft food
On week 12, Healthy Balance Diet

The first time I applied for surgery was in 2011 and my initial appointment was a very unpleasant experience which put me off of surgery.

However, the news that I would no longer be able to have coke or other fizzy drinks was a shock.

When I had Ulcerative Colitis, I was unable to drink coke because of the aspartame content, which really upset my stomach.

After I had my intestine removed and was cured of the UC, I was finally able to drink coke again and it became a staple part of my diet!

So the news that I would have to give it up again was one of the deciding factors that made me turn down surgery.

However, after unsuccessfully losing weight, I made the decision that I would just have to give some things up if I wanted to get healthy again.

I have made my peace with the knowledge that I will have to make sacrifices which shows that I am now ready for surgery and all that comes with it.

I can't stand flat coke so after my surgery, that will be it - no more coke!

i gave diet coke up several years ago it was literally rotting my insides my big preop drink was milkshakes though i made my own they were full of icecream and fresh fruit so now a no go area but i found a compromise in morrisons they have anew one in called cocio one only 1% fat 1% added sugar small bottle at £1.40 but it does me 2 or 3 days just for the taste

Last edited by a moderator:
Adele, yes please, ill inbox you in a min :)

thanks cupid ill have a look next time i go shopping

x

I'm 9 days post op and have been eating sugar free jelly since day 4! Chews up well and goes down as liquid! I've also just had corned beef, cottage cheese with a bit of grated cheese, with a bit of grated onion all blended together! Went down a treat! I so needed something tasty!! My dietician said it was fine as long as it's puréed and chewed to death! X

Back