• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Couch to 5k anybody? ( C25k)

Miss Tickle

has anyone done, or is doing the C25k running programme? I've downloaded the NHS c25k podcasts to my ipod and did the second 'run' today. I can't believe I managed it. I never thought I'd be able to do something resembling a jog for a whole minute but I did the whole eight run for a minute/walk for 90 seconds session.
I'm doing it because I'm going to do the 5k race for Life this year in memory of my mum and dad, and I'm going to try my best to run the whole thing.
Anyone else doing the programme so we can chivvy each other along?

Never heard of it!! Sounds good though, where did you download it from?

H xx

I went onto i tunes podcasts and got it there. It's free. You can just google it and print a copy but I've found the woman on the podcast telling me when to walk and when to run is very good.
In week one you walk for 5 minutes(briskly) to warm up, run for 60 seconds ( slowly) and then walk for 90 seconds. You do that eight times and then walk again for 5 minutes.
It builds up week by week by doing three runs a week, leaving at least a day between runs to recover. In theory you should be able to run 5k (3.1miles) at week 9. I'm somewhat terrified. However, even if I don't get any better and can't even do next w, being able to do the week one session is better than I would have hoped for so I could just keep on walking and running like that and be happy xx

Ace thanks!! :) Will download it and stick it on my ipod, will have to make sure I get up early in the mornings to do this though, dont fancy being watched wobbling up the street!!!

H xx

That sounds great av never heard of it, have you done race for life before? I did last year was very painful and took 1hr 16 mins but I was so proud! Xx

Sent from my HTC Hero using WLSurgery

No Tb, this will be my first one.
Montana, I've done them in the evenings. Was worried about getting tooted and people shouting obscenities out of cars windows at me, especially tonight as the roads were busy, but no one did. I'd like to do it in the mornings but can't figure out how if it's okay to just have a drink of water and then go. I'm not sure it's good to exercise on an empty stomach but wouldn't be able to get up early enough to drink, wait half an hour, eat and wait another half an hour !
Let me know how you get on with the first run !
xx

Think my 54yr old heart would pack in if I subjected it to that :eek: It already wonders what the hell I am doing making it work overtime after a lifetime of plodding. lol,. But I wish you all the luck in the world, hon, & really admire you for wanting to do this in memory of your mum & dad xxx :):):)

That sounds great av never heard of it, have you done race for life before? I did last year was very painful and took 1hr 16 mins but I was so proud! Xx

Did you run it Toni?

Miss Tickle said:
Did you run it Toni?

I had to stop and start I walked most of it which hurt enough lol but I tried to run/jog Xx

You're not too old Twink. I'm 51 next week, so looked at some running sites and established that loads of peopel start whom are EVEN OLDER than us lol ! And they live to tell the tale. I've always been rubbish at runniing, even when I was a young, skinny fit thing ! There's no way you look to be a fifty year old in your photo!! I'm all wrinkly and saggy faced now-the downside of wl !

You're not too old Twink. I'm 51 next week, so looked at some running sites and established that loads of peopel start whom are EVEN OLDER than us lol ! And they live to tell the tale. I've always been rubbish at runniing, even when I was a young, skinny fit thing ! There's no way you look to be a fifty year old in your photo!! I'm all wrinkly and saggy faced now-the downside of wl !

Aw how lovely are you :) I will have a look at it tomorrow as you have inspired me ... my mum & dad died young too :cry: xxx mwah

TwinkleTwinkle said:
Aw how lovely are you :) I will have a look at it tomorrow as you have inspired me ... my mum & dad dies young too :cry: xxx mwah

Aaaawww :'( my dear mummy did too, just over a year ago :( gggrrrrr that's why me and my sisters did it, them 2 in about 40 mins and me in 1 hour 16 which considering my size I'm not surprised Xx

Aaaawww :'( my dear mummy did too, just over a year ago :( gggrrrrr that's why me and my sisters did it, them 2 in about 40 mins and me in 1 hour 16 which considering my size I'm not surprised Xx

Well done hon ... in whatever time it is still a hell of an achievement ... your mum would be proud :):):)

Ace thanks!! :) Will download it and stick it on my ipod, will have to make sure I get up early in the mornings to do this though, dont fancy being watched wobbling up the street!!!

H xx

& that is why I will be doing it on the treadmill bahahaha ... my neighbours DO NOT need to see that :eek::eek: xx

Sounds good will take a look this weekend :)

TwinkleTwinkle said:
Well done hon ... in whatever time it is still a hell of an achievement ... your mum would be proud :):):)

Aaww thank you :D I was in tears at the end Haha Xx

Great achievement Toni. It's taken me a long time to do something proactive- well 10 years-only just coming to terms with things so have alot of lost time to make up.
If you could do it at your top weight you'll run it no probs when your slim and have done a bit of training
xx

I'm doing this 'couch to 5k', only started today and did my first run/walk. Feeling very proud of myself as I haven't run for about 25 years!

Aaww bless ya, lifes good at throwing nasty things our way but not great at throwing good things, lol ... I do plan to run it when I've had my op I can't wait to beat my time lol ... I'm sure you will do brilliant and you will feel so great after :) xxx

mellyb28 said:
I'm doing this 'couch to 5k', only started today and did my first run/walk. Feeling very proud of myself as I haven't run for about 25 years!

That's brilliant bet you do feel proud! Xxx

Back