• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Doctor's Warning...need some suggestions!...quick

emma-louise

my new life!!
Hoping you lovely people can offer advice/suggestions...
Recieved a letter from my gps a couple if days ago,the doctor wanted to see me,regarding a recent blood test I had done to check my iron levels.
So I went today,and I was told if I didn't get my iron levels up in 4 weeks time,they are going to have me in hospital for a blood transfusion.
So apart from iron tabs what else can I do or take to get them up quick?
Being a bypasser its difficult to absorb iron,I'm really not wanting to go into hospital again.
Any help?

Make sure you take calcium and iron seperately to improve absorption and maybe split them if you're having 2 a day. Red meat if you can handle it is good for iron, or things like spinach.

Iron rich foods plus vit c to absorb it....depends what you like to eat hun, that will help. I've had anaemia before & it was dealt with via supplements & diet xxx

Make sure you take calcium and iron seperately to improve absorption and maybe split them if you're having 2 a day. Red meat if you can handle it is good for iron, or things like spinach.

Thanks yvessa,I don't take these together but going to get sone fresh orange to see if it will help with the iron absorbing.
Can't eat red meats anymore....I'm starting to worry this bypass is starting to catch up with me now regarding defiencys.

Ok...here's a few more ideas...

Broccoli cheese (same as cauliflower)
.... give me a couple of mins & I'll pm you with some ideas x

My iron levels are often low. I don't often eat red meat and the iron tablets really block me up. I've heard if an iron rich mineral sachet you mix with water. I think it's natural and doesn't cause a blocked bum bum!
My best iron boost is my slimey limey mojito.
You need a good juicer for this though.
1-2 x apples
1x large handful baby leaf spinach (add more to taste)
1x handful kale
1/2 lime
1x sprig fresh mint
2" cucumber

Pour over ice ...... Yummy

I make a batch for the family but for now add water to mine as unsure how much apple juice is ok for me. Don't wanna dump!

My iron levels are often low. I don't often eat red meat and the iron tablets really block me up. I've heard if an iron rich mineral sachet you mix with water. I think it's natural and doesn't cause a blocked bum bum! My best iron boost is my slimey limey mojito. You need a good juicer for this though. 1-2 x apples 1x large handful baby leaf spinach (add more to taste) 1x handful kale 1/2 lime 1x sprig fresh mint 2" cucumber Pour over ice ...... Yummy I make a batch for the family but for now add water to mine as unsure how much apple juice is ok for me. Don't wanna dump!

That sounds nice,definetly going to try...not sure I can get the kale though x

That sounds nice,definetly going to try...not sure I can get the kale though x

Leave the kale out. It doesn't add taste. Mind you spinach doesn't really! It's just like a virgin mojito but a little thicker !

I love juicing but only 12 days since bypass. I'm unsure what I can safely tolerate fruit wise.

Sardines & mussels are good sources too. 80% dark chocolate is full of iron but very naughty :sigh:

How are things Going Emma are you managing to eat things high in iron now? xx

Hi Chrisa,
Been to chemist today and advised to try and take my iron tablets,got to take 3 a day so I know I'm going to get toilet issues soon(like always),I was hoping they could suggest something else.
Its hard to take all these tablets x

Hi Chrisa,
Been to chemist today and advised to try and take my iron tablets,got to take 3 a day so I know I'm going to get toilet issues soon(like always),I was hoping they could suggest something else.
Its hard to take all these tablets x

You CERTAINLY HAVE HAD A ROUGH TIME AFTER YOUR BYPASS. I complain sometimes but hey you have gad quite enough. Can you remember ages ago we were saying about teeth decaying our dentists don't agree with this of course.
I had a small tooth bottom set broke in half last week didn't affect it past gum line but half it was missing, the world stopped spinning. I got in the dentist that afternoon cos sods law I was on a 24hr shift. He managed to fix it of course nutha £49 for the pleasure. My teeth are dropping to pieces the last time was in November and he had just fixed prior in October it was too soft to fix so he had to take it out and then I went back to work at 4 to start the night shift part of my shift. He said the damage is done to our teeth in our teens and that it becomes really noticeable at this age because things start to fall apart what a load of rubbish I have lots fixed since my op, what are your teeth like ? xxx:wave_cry:

not sure what you are allowed off the list but these are iron rich Red meat
Egg yolks
Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
Turkey or chicken giblets
Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
Liver
Artichokes

You CERTAINLY HAVE HAD A ROUGH TIME AFTER YOUR BYPASS. I complain sometimes but hey you have gad quite enough. Can you remember ages ago we were saying about teeth decaying our dentists don't agree with this of course. I had a small tooth bottom set broke in half last week didn't affect it past gum line but half it was missing, the world stopped spinning. I got in the dentist that afternoon cos sods law I was on a 24hr shift. He managed to fix it of course nutha £49 for the pleasure. My teeth are dropping to pieces the last time was in November and he had just fixed prior in October it was too soft to fix so he had to take it out and then I went back to work at 4 to start the night shift part of my shift. He said the damage is done to our teeth in our teens and that it becomes really noticeable at this age because things start to fall apart what a load of rubbish I have lots fixed since my op, what are your teeth like ? xxx:wave_cry:

Yes I remember talking about teeth,up to now my teeth seem to be ok up to now.
I do think this bypass is causing me to be low on my nutrients,and I'm taking everything I need.
I don't think the doctors know enough about long term problems a bypass can cause to be honest.
I've started taking another vitamin,because I've noticed my mood dipping and my energy is just low and other people have noticed too.
Even the B12 injection hasn't made any difference..
I'd still prefer to be smaller and taking pills rather than be a washed up whale x

My iron levels were only just in double figures and I had an iron infusion (the maximum dosage, can't remember off hand what it was) and that has sorted me out for the moment.

Why aren't they offering you this before resorting to vampire tactics?

For me blood is a no, totally against my beliefs so I've always chosen my surgeons based on them respecting this. I'd have to be minutes from death to have blood so there must be another way rather than resorting to blood first?

Spatone is good it's a liquid so easy to take. I suffer with anaemia, is it your haemoglobin or ferritin level? You need both checked. Blood transfusion was never an option as I didn't need blood and it wouldn't raise my levels enough so I have ferrinject infusion which is also much safer. I go in for a couple of hours and that's it. It's like having a spray tan and energy boost. If it's very low diet will never catch it up. Do you know how low you are?

Back