• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Doctor's Warning...need some suggestions!...quick

Thanks everyone for your replies...chickpeas yummy never realised these was good for iron,I eat lots of these.
I was told my level is at 9 and if it gets to 7 they are having me in for blood transfusion.
So I'm being tested again in 4 weeks,I've been taking my iron the doctor gave me.
Not sure if I'm going to get my iron levels up this quick,doesn't help that my periods are extremely heavy so contribute towards me being like this.

Emma just popping in I know you would rather not have the transfusion but it may be the way. Your levels are really low and the transfusion will give you a better platform to then start adding in the iron rich things. Hope you are Ok other than that. I miss chattiing to you but good luck M

Emma just popping in I know you would rather not have the transfusion but it may be the way. Your levels are really low and the transfusion will give you a better platform to then start adding in the iron rich things. Hope you are Ok other than that. I miss chattiing to you but good luck M

Hi there!...hope your well,
I do miss not having many long termers on here x
To be honest I'm not very clued up on levels,is 9 low? I'm just listening to the doctor and doing as I'm told x

Hoping you lovely people can offer advice/suggestions...
Recieved a letter from my gps a couple if days ago,the doctor wanted to see me,regarding a recent blood test I had done to check my iron levels.
So I went today,and I was told if I didn't get my iron levels up in 4 weeks time,they are going to have me in hospital for a blood transfusion.
So apart from iron tabs what else can I do or take to get them up quick?
Being a bypasser its difficult to absorb iron,I'm really not wanting to go into hospital again.
Any help?
make sure you don't drink tea at same time as having the iron, apparently something in tea that inhibits iron absorption.

Well Emma you are following the docs rules if the next step is an iron infusion then that's the way it has to be. Your health is paramount and if it comes to it well you know you have done your best and then as said above you can top up what they give you with al the iron rich foods. Stay positive you can do this we are here along side you xxx

Yeah, 9 is really low. Your doctor is right to have an action plan.

Mine was something like 12 ish when I had the iron infusion and that took me to about 160 ish. It was the maximum dose I/V that I had.

I can't take tablets so the rough finger in the air plan for me at the moment is to have one of everything every year to get be back closer to normal levels. I had a B12 in one leg, Vitamin D in the other. Then on I/V iron, then a B/C yellow cocktail.

Thanks everyone,
Oops didn't realise my level was low,it's just a number to me.
Well I'm going to be a good girl and take the iron tabs and wait and see.

My approach is this, because RNY reduces length of the small intestine we miss out a big part that is responsible for absorbing essensial vitamins and nutrients, and the down side to tables is that buy the time they have sufficently broken down to release there product they have traveled much further away from what little if any is left of the duodenum-Jejunum portion of the small intestine. The duodenum is the principal site for iron absorption so with this in mind I make a little drink which has 100ml or so of water with 10ml of Feroglobin (14mg Iron) and a Vitamin C (1000mg)
img_54.png
seven_seas_6_haliborange_eff_vit_c_oran_5374.jpg

the idea being is that as the Iron and vitamin C (which is essential for the absorbtion of Iron) is already in a solution giving the maximum surface area for absorbtion as soon as it exits the pouch and comes in contact with the small intestine, where as a tablet would no be sufficiently broken down and quite compact still as there is no stomach acid to break it down. it tastes very orangry and quite a nice daily shot. ive been doing it for a month now and i deffinatly feel a bit more with it.

I also use an oral Vitamin B12 spray as again the best place for absorbtion for this now our anatomy is different is under the tounge. so a few sprays of this each day also helps
HB099160_R_H200W000.gif

it has a B12 concentration of 1200µg and only about 1% is generaly absorbed in this way. so im getting up to 12ug which considering the recomended daily alowance is only 1-3ug then hopefully this is also helping.

so with these additional vitamins and minerals on top of my daily chewable multi vits and calcium (again im opting for chewables rather than tables for quickest release) im hoping this will all help in the long run stop me from falling into too many defficencies. :D

Hope this and other peoples suggestions give you a good range of ways to boost your iron levels

Last edited:
My approach is this, because RNY reduces length of the small intestine we miss out a big part that is responsible for absorbing essensial vitamins and nutrients, and the down side to tables is that buy the time they have sufficently broken down to release there product they have traveled much further away from what little if any is left of the duodenum-Jejunum portion of the small intestine. The duodenum is the principal site for iron absorption so with this in mind I make a little drink which has 100ml or so of water with 10ml of Feroglobin (14mg Iron) and a Vitamin C (1000mg) the idea being is that as the Iron and vitamin C (which is essential for the absorbtion of Iron) is already in a solution giving the maximum surface area for absorbtion as soon as it exits the pouch and comes in contact with the small intestine, where as a tablet would no be sufficiently broken down and quite compact still as there is no stomach acid to break it down. it tastes very orangry and quite a nice daily shot. ive been doing it for a month now and i deffinatly feel a bit more with it. I also use an oral Vitamin B12 spray as again the best place for absorbtion for this now our anatomy is different is under the tounge. so a few sprays of this each day also helps it has a B12 concentration of 1200µg and only about 1% is generaly absorbed in this way. so im getting up to 12ug which considering the recomended daily alowance is only 1-3ug then hopefully this is also helping. so with these additional vitamins and minerals on top of my daily chewable multi vits and calcium (again im opting for chewables rather than tables for quickest release) im hoping this will all help in the long run stop me from falling into too many defficencies. :D Hope this and other peoples suggestions give you a good range of ways to boost your iron levels

Thanks for this information. As a new bypasser I'm stressing and struggling with the vit tablets and extras I want to take. Iron is a problem for me too so I will be following your lead and doing the same :)

My approach is this, because RNY reduces length of the small intestine we miss out a big part that is responsible for absorbing essensial vitamins and nutrients, and the down side to tables is that buy the time they have sufficently broken down to release there product they have traveled much further away from what little if any is left of the duodenum-Jejunum portion of the small intestine. The duodenum is the principal site for iron absorption so with this in mind I make a little drink which has 100ml or so of water with 10ml of Feroglobin (14mg Iron) and a Vitamin C (1000mg) the idea being is that as the Iron and vitamin C (which is essential for the absorbtion of Iron) is already in a solution giving the maximum surface area for absorbtion as soon as it exits the pouch and comes in contact with the small intestine, where as a tablet would no be sufficiently broken down and quite compact still as there is no stomach acid to break it down. it tastes very orangry and quite a nice daily shot. ive been doing it for a month now and i deffinatly feel a bit more with it. I also use an oral Vitamin B12 spray as again the best place for absorbtion for this now our anatomy is different is under the tounge. so a few sprays of this each day also helps it has a B12 concentration of 1200µg and only about 1% is generaly absorbed in this way. so im getting up to 12ug which considering the recomended daily alowance is only 1-3ug then hopefully this is also helping. so with these additional vitamins and minerals on top of my daily chewable multi vits and calcium (again im opting for chewables rather than tables for quickest release) im hoping this will all help in the long run stop me from falling into too many defficencies. :D Hope this and other peoples suggestions give you a good range of ways to boost your iron levels

Thanks for this information,I've get to buy in some fresh orange to drink with the iron tablet for it to absorb better.
I'm currently taking all needed vitamins..
Calcium D3
Forceval vitamin(multivitamin prescribed by gp)
Lanzaropsole
B12 injection (3mths)
Iron tablets
D3 capsule
As I'm coming up to 3 1/2 yrs post bypass,my body seems to be struggling a little regarding getting it's needed nutrients.
And also being a woman has added to be getting into this situation...thank your lucky stars your a man...lol
Thanks again

Thanks for this information. As a new bypasser I'm stressing and struggling with the vit tablets and extras I want to take. Iron is a problem for me too so I will be following your lead and doing the same :)

Hi just get into a routine with vitamins,it does get easier more long term you become x

Hi Emma have been weighed this morning and have managed to lose the 5 I had put on just need a couple more to be back in my suitable range under 15st. I am dead on 15st today. Thanks for the support its great to speak to some ine that is further out than me and has had similar problems to me xxx thanks xxx

Hi Emma have been weighed this morning and have managed to lose the 5 I had put on just need a couple more to be back in my suitable range under 15st. I am dead on 15st today. Thanks for the support its great to speak to some ine that is further out than me and has had similar problems to me xxx thanks xxx

Love speaking to you Chrisa x
It's a bit of a comfort knowing we can chat to each other and have had similar issues.
I've got faith in you to carry on and lose that tiny bit more to get you in the range your happy with x
But remember we have to live...so have a little treat,you deserve it xx

Hi Emma
I'm almost permanently anaemic they've given over with transfusion because it brings it up for a short while then slips again and they can't keepdoing it. I am permanently on 3 Ferrous sulphate a day as well as forceval, adcald3, b12 jabs (which I was never given for the first year and half) vit d 5000iu, then I have tablets for my rheumatoid arthritis ,osteoporosis ( which has got much worse since my DS ) amtriptiline for fibromyalgia, tramadol all in all 21 tabs a day :( so its really hard trying not to take iron separately coz while still eating the drinking 30 mins each way of food doesn't really leave me a lot of time in between .... I am thinking my eating is playing up with my health and deficiencies too Chrisa as I say thye osteoporosis is really bad now they said im like 70 yr old bones they cant operate on my damaged vertebraes coz the bones wont hold pins rods etc or the cement they can fuse with and the neurosurgeon I saw on wed this said there is another vertebrae about to move forward as well ( sponyliothesis ) and I could end up in a wheel chair :( ...so they spend years and years saying angela lose the weight it will help with joints etc etc etc and it hasn't at all just made them worse because of the malabsorbtion after DS ...sorry to go on but once I started couldn't stop :)

Aww that's terrible Angie. You must fed up and feel robbed. Emma you too must be fed up I have had several blood tests but have never been told anything is low just say everything was ok so that's that really. I take my vitamins regularly I just hope I don't start with gallstones my had them when she was young and my oldest sister had them too, Hope its not hereditary. I did have a treat last night Emma had a bottle of wine well brought a 1/3 of it home. Was out bout hour n half because won't see friends tonight a sin night shift at work tonight. Back on track gain. xxx

Hi Emma
I'm almost permanently anaemic they've given over with transfusion because it brings it up for a short while then slips again and they can't keepdoing it. I am permanently on 3 Ferrous sulphate a day as well as forceval, adcald3, b12 jabs (which I was never given for the first year and half) vit d 5000iu, then I have tablets for my rheumatoid arthritis ,osteoporosis ( which has got much worse since my DS ) amtriptiline for fibromyalgia, tramadol all in all 21 tabs a day :( so its really hard trying not to take iron separately coz while still eating the drinking 30 mins each way of food doesn't really leave me a lot of time in between .... I am thinking my eating is playing up with my health and deficiencies too Chrisa as I say thye osteoporosis is really bad now they said im like 70 yr old bones they cant operate on my damaged vertebraes coz the bones wont hold pins rods etc or the cement they can fuse with and the neurosurgeon I saw on wed this said there is another vertebrae about to move forward as well ( sponyliothesis ) and I could end up in a wheel chair :( ...so they spend years and years saying angela lose the weight it will help with joints etc etc etc and it hasn't at all just made them worse because of the malabsorbtion after DS ...sorry to go on but once I started couldn't stop :)
Oh Angie :( How upsetting :( I can totally understand how you feel.

Thanks for this information,I've get to buy in some fresh orange to drink with the iron tablet for it to absorb better.
I'm currently taking all needed vitamins..
Calcium D3
Forceval vitamin(multivitamin prescribed by gp)
Lanzaropsole
B12 injection (3mths)
Iron tablets
D3 capsule
As I'm coming up to 3 1/2 yrs post bypass,my body seems to be struggling a little regarding getting it's needed nutrients.
And also being a woman has added to be getting into this situation...thank your lucky stars your a man...lol
Thanks again
Emma, I've been advised that b12 should be at least every 12 weeks and mine is being brought forward to 10 weeks now as I need it sooner - I don't know if its worth trying as the b12 can help absorption of other meds.

Hi Angie,
Bless you, you are having a tough time.
Did you know that Some disorders such as arthritis can cause anaemia by preventing the absorption of iron?
If you can reduce your inflammation it may help
Try taking boron & vit k for your bones too.

Tonite I'm very very fed up...
Since taking iron 3 times daily,my throat has been very dry and been getting sore.
I've woke up today and its painful to swallow now.
Not only that my daily stomach discomfort had even getting better since the hospital had told me to increase the lazaroposole.
Since taking this iron the last 2 days my stomach has been burning and hurting.
It took me months to get on top of the pain and it settle now!
Now I'm back to square one!!....
I don't know what to do now,do I stop taking them and put myself at risk of needing blood transfusion or is there gentler iron things you can take?...,.im in pain and rather upset tonite

Back