• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Doctor's Warning...need some suggestions!...quick

Can you not ask if try can just give you iron infusions?

Hi Emma I'm almost permanently anaemic they've given over with transfusion because it brings it up for a short while then slips again and they can't keepdoing it. I am permanently on 3 Ferrous sulphate a day as well as forceval, adcald3, b12 jabs (which I was never given for the first year and half) vit d 5000iu, then I have tablets for my rheumatoid arthritis ,osteoporosis ( which has got much worse since my DS ) amtriptiline for fibromyalgia, tramadol all in all 21 tabs a day :( so its really hard trying not to take iron separately coz while still eating the drinking 30 mins each way of food doesn't really leave me a lot of time in between .... I am thinking my eating is playing up with my health and deficiencies too Chrisa as I say thye osteoporosis is really bad now they said im like 70 yr old bones they cant operate on my damaged vertebraes coz the bones wont hold pins rods etc or the cement they can fuse with and the neurosurgeon I saw on wed this said there is another vertebrae about to move forward as well ( sponyliothesis ) and I could end up in a wheel chair :( ...so they spend years and years saying angela lose the weight it will help with joints etc etc etc and it hasn't at all just made them worse because of the malabsorbtion after DS ...sorry to go on but once I started couldn't stop :)

Talk away Angie,
If I'm honest I'm feeling a bit pissed off tonite,
Do you ever get any side effects with the iron?
Do you regret your DS at all?...I do worry sometimes what the future holds especially with deficiencies.

Hi Emma
I'm almost permanently anaemic they've given over with transfusion because it brings it up for a short while then slips again and they can't keepdoing it. I am permanently on 3 Ferrous sulphate a day as well as forceval, adcald3, b12 jabs (which I was never given for the first year and half) vit d 5000iu, then I have tablets for my rheumatoid arthritis ,osteoporosis ( which has got much worse since my DS ) amtriptiline for fibromyalgia, tramadol all in all 21 tabs a day :( so its really hard trying not to take iron separately coz while still eating the drinking 30 mins each way of food doesn't really leave me a lot of time in between .... I am thinking my eating is playing up with my health and deficiencies too Chrisa as I say thye osteoporosis is really bad now they said im like 70 yr old bones they cant operate on my damaged vertebraes coz the bones wont hold pins rods etc or the cement they can fuse with and the neurosurgeon I saw on wed this said there is another vertebrae about to move forward as well ( sponyliothesis ) and I could end up in a wheel chair :( ...so they spend years and years saying angela lose the weight it will help with joints etc etc etc and it hasn't at all just made them worse because of the malabsorbtion after DS ...sorry to go on but once I started couldn't stop :)

Angie ((((hugs)))). I must admit the deficiency thing is scaring the crap out of me as my deficiencies were flagged up so quick after my bypass. Not an issue as yet with iron levels and I suppose having my hysterectomy years ago has aided with that but I worry for the future as I, like you and a lot of people, really struggle with taking iron tablets. Due to get my levels checked again soon so fingers crossed the supplements I'm taking just now are doing the trick but judging by my tiredness levels & joint pain I think I'm kidding myself here :/
I did this to keep myself from going into a wheelchair and would hate to think that i still could end up there as a direct result of my op is worrying

Talk away Angie,
If I'm honest I'm feeling a bit pissed off tonite,
Do you ever get any side effects with the iron?
Do you regret your DS at all?...I do worry sometimes what the future holds especially with deficiencies.

((((Hugs)))) also Emma you are having such a crap time too and you are allowed to feel peed off. We have this op to better our health and end up creating other issues that leave us questioning why we did it in the first place. At the moment I am absolutely loving my bypass but do wonder if in the future I will end up regretting it all because of those issues.
Good luck hun xxx

Chrisa I had my gallbladder removed last Christmas and as is usual with me after 4 keyhole they opened me up coz it was sticking to my duodenum :)
Emma I'm so sorry to have put such a worrying message but I'm sure I'll be fine in th long run and if I'm not well at least I gave it a go :)
I still think I'd rather had it done with hope of living more years with my family and beautiful grandchildren xxx than not having it and drop dead from all the horrible effects from being 22 1/2 stone please don't let this put you off at all if you're pre op but maybe be wary and watch the blood tests etc and speak to your team as much as possible xxx

Sorry to hear you had bad night yesterday Emma hope its a little better today, thinking of you xx

Chrisa I had my gallbladder removed last Christmas and as is usual with me after 4 keyhole they opened me up coz it was sticking to my duodenum :) Emma I'm so sorry to have put such a worrying message but I'm sure I'll be fine in th long run and if I'm not well at least I gave it a go :) I still think I'd rather had it done with hope of living more years with my family and beautiful grandchildren xxx than not having it and drop dead from all the horrible effects from being 22 1/2 stone please don't let this put you off at all if you're pre op but maybe be wary and watch the blood tests etc and speak to your team as much as possible xxx

Hi Angie,don't worry you didn't scare the crap out of me..lol
I'm 3 1/2 years post op,since having my bypass.
My throat is still killing,tummy still a tad off...and aching everywhere!

Sorry to hear you had bad night yesterday Emma hope its a little better today, thinking of you xx

Hi Chrisa,
I'm ok,just feel under the weather,I reckon I'm going to have to try and get in the docs and see if there's an iron alternative.

I have taken to drinking more tea n coffee hope that my levels stay ok, I have never yet been told any of them weren't. Even the one I had done at the hospital when I was discharged not a word so all must be well. xxx The tea n coffee help me not to snack in between meals xx Having a biscuit is a habit not because I am hungry. I have to remind my self of that. xx

I have taken to drinking more tea n coffee hope that my levels stay ok, I have never yet been told any of them weren't. Even the one I had done at the hospital when I was discharged not a word so all must be well. xxx The tea n coffee help me not to snack in between meals xx Having a biscuit is a habit not because I am hungry. I have to remind my self of that. xx

I drink lots of coffee,I wouldn't cut down even if docs told me too.
If I'm honest a lot of the time coffee is used as food for me,only because of my limited choice of foods.
And I still have a biscuit,there's no way my sweet tooth has improved!..lol x

I understand baked beans (1cup) has 5mg iron, which is the same as 3oz of steak. Clams measure for measure have up to 23mg in a cooked 3oz portion, though having eaten baby clam pasta, I think that would be an enormous effort to get 3oz out of the shells.

Sorry Emma I should've put a comma there lol I meant anyone else pre op lol xxx I couldn't manage without a brew either :)

Back