• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Experience Of My Gastric Bypass At Nuffields Leeds

michelle7272

As requested by a few people i thought i would tell everyone about my gastric bypass experience so far......
Iv'e always been a proud leeds lass and more so now, having gane through this experience so quickly because of where i live.
FRIDAY 6TH JUNE 2008....
Would you believe had to work this morning.I'm self employed so had to do some orders and checks before i leave.Really glad as it kept my mind busy and didn't get time to get nervous.1pm set off to nuffields hospital in leeds center only takes me 10 minutes to get there but thought i'd get there bit earlier as partner had to get back to pick up my 3 children from school.
NUFFIELDS LEEDS as we arrived was met by a guy(i nicknamed him geeves) out side hospital who radio's to underground carpark to let you enter.you are shown to a space.
As you enter the hospital you notice all the differences because it is a private hospital,lovely carpets,plants n flowers everywhere,everyone is smart and well dressed,(no drunks,tramps,screaming kids).
Was shown to my own room just like a travel lodge room,en suite with skytv and telephone.You get desingnated your own friendly nurse for your stay.Wasn't sure if i was allowed to eat anything so didn't, later realised i could have done, but it was now too late.3pm was given my 1st lot of bowel prep(horrid lemon drink)started seeing effects 3 hours later,in mean time just chilled watching sky tv.had another bowel prep later and was visited by my anesthetist,surgeon proff mike mcmahon who went through all details.Had my blood pressure and temperature taken.
SAT 7TH JUNE 2008
Was woken at 6.50 am to be given a green gown and be told to get a shower and be ready for 8am.
8am....walked down to theatre with a nurse where both my surgeon and anesthetist greeted me.i was sat on a bed while 1 iv was fitted into my hand.layed down while i was given aesthetic.............................................................
woke up around 11.30am was in pain so was given morphine through an iv, i had been given 2 more iv's while sedated so never felt them.
pain was stll quite bad so they gave me a suppostitory pain relief which did do the job.
from there i was taken to icu again had my own room and tv.i also had these inflatable socks on that went up n down,6 tiny holes in my belly (no stitches just plastertype covers) and a drain with a small bag on the left side of my belly.The morphine made me quite sleepy i couldn't keep my eyes open, but also couldn't sleep.In the evening i had another suppository for pain, i was made to get out of bed and sit in the chair and also use a comode as i didnt have a cathater.Was told by my surgeon i could start taking sips of water.
next morning 2 iv's was taken out and my drain which i thought would hurt but didn't.
SUNDAY 8TH JUNE
11.30 am was taken back up to my room. i had 2 antiacid fruit flavoured tablets to suck on 1 evening 1 morning everyday ,an injection in my belly once a day to prevent dvt(you have to continue these when you leave for rest of the week) didnt hurt either.For pain was given liquid paracetomol same as the 6+ for kids,poor little buggers its horrible.i did have another suppository for pain relief i found this worked much better,even if it was bit embarrassing.You get given lots of paper work about vitamins, do's and don't's. You also see a dietician mine was really nice (Mary Okane) who gives you idea's for the future.
MONDAY 9TH JUNE
last iv was taken out and was given the things i needed to take home with me..
6 x needles to adminster 1 a day for dvt prevention
antacid tablets 2 aday for 1 month then 1 a day another month
folic acid 2 x a week for a year although advise to take for life
liquid paracetomol

i am on day 4 at the moment i'm only having the paracetomal once aday ,i am more uncomfortable and weak than in pain.i do hope this helps people with what to expect,i also apolygise for it been long once i get going i can't shut up!

Last edited:
did they weigh you on admission ?
hi there, yes they did but told me in kilo's might as well have been in hindu only understand stones.
on my scales at home i lost 11 pounds on th pre op diet but nothing more while i was in hospital.
thanks for your support michelle7272

thanks for you account, michelle - you sound like you are doing really well and it will really help those of us who are waiting for consultations/surgery to know what it is like first hand from those who have been there...good luck :)

Hi Michelle

That isan excellant account...... I agree about the calpol, it is disgusting......... I felt so sorry for my little one, I have to make him take it when he is ill, takes me around 30 mins to eventually get it down, sometimes longer... now i know why he hates it!!!!!!!

I agree you can understand why people go private, the place i was in was lovely!!!!!!!!

I found it very uncomfortable for a while, I had the Bypass............ but well done to you.... keep us all updated

xxxxxxxx

welldone michelle at least its over with now and u have the rest of ur life to look forward to hun, had mine done 1 year ago and lost 8 stone so im doing good take care and good luck xxx

Hi Michelle,

You sound like you are doin really well - how are you feelin?

I've got my first appointment with prof Mcmahon on 2nd July, how long did it take after your first appointment till surgery date?

What did your pre op diet consist of?

Can you just clarify for me was it band or bypass you had cos a couple of your posts differ - I am easily confused so probably my fault.

What happened at your first consultation did the surgeon seem to prefer band/bypass - not totally made my mind up yet but thing I am leaning towards bypass.

If you were to look back to that first consultation was there anything you wished you had asked that you didn't?

Sorry there are so many questions - but it really does help.

Take Care and Thanks

Hi Michelle,

You sound like you are doin really well - how are you feelin?

I've got my first appointment with prof Mcmahon on 2nd July, how long did it take after your first appointment till surgery date?

What did your pre op diet consist of?

Can you just clarify for me was it band or bypass you had cos a couple of your posts differ - I am easily confused so probably my fault.

What happened at your first consultation did the surgeon seem to prefer band/bypass - not totally made my mind up yet but thing I am leaning towards bypass.
If you were to look back to that first consultation was there anything you wished you had asked that you didn't?

Sorry there are so many questions - but it really does help.

Take Care and Thanks

hi caroline,
i'm doing fine thankyou, i'm 11 days post op all tiny scares all healed well, although i am getting fed up of soup n shakes.
Proff Mike Mcmahon is a lovely fella and really puts your mind at ease.i never really choose a bypass it was proff mcmahon that said because of my weight it would be better for me to have the sleeve or bypass.i had the bypass .
He went through every detail,my history,the surgery,etc.
also gave me lots of paper work to read and he will also give you your pre op diet sheet too.He will also feel your tummy for any hernia's
i had my consultation mid april he told me approx 6 weeks.
i then had my next appointment 2 june thats just with a nurse who takes your blood tests, but it is mainly to test and protect you of mrsa the hospital bug.you will be given some disinfectant to wash in everyday and some cream to put up your nose.this is to be done everyday for a week before your op.
the hospital is so nice and the staff really act like they do actually care not like miserable nhs staff.
If you drive the carpark is under the hospital and is free.
keep me informed and take care,michelle7272.
do you have msn?

Sounds like you are doin really good.

The hospital sounds great - think I have landed on my feet with there.

My e-mail is [email protected] - if you think of anything else please let me know - you can never have too much information - the more the better !!

Thanks

Sounds like you are doin really good.

The hospital sounds great - think I have landed on my feet with there.

My e-mail is [email protected] - if you think of anything else please let me know - you can never have too much information - the more the better !!

Thanks
hi again
My bmi was around 56 so wasnt allowed to have a band. You may be allowed the band because you are smaller and have less to loose.
btw you where right i had put band instead of bypass in my thread.
lol michelle7272

Think I am leaning towards wanting the bypass instead of the band anyway - I think the need of adjustments to the band would be something that would get me down - havin to have it altered and wondering all the tme if it was at the right capacity etc.

Plus I think you get quicker and better reults from the bypass.

(If I have any of this info incorrect then please can someone correct me - thanks)

Think I am leaning towards wanting the bypass instead of the band anyway - I think the need of adjustments to the band would be something that would get me down - havin to have it altered and wondering all the tme if it was at the right capacity etc.

Plus I think you get quicker and better reults from the bypass.

(If I have any of this info incorrect then please can someone correct me - thanks)
yes that is one good thing, you have a follow up appointment 4 weeks post op and then i think thats it.
Just remebered something you may find interesting,Mike(proff) does n't use a staple gun like other surgeons. he sews the stomache by hand so there is gauanteed no leakage.The surgery takes slightly longer but who cares as long as you don't leak.
take care michelle

hey FANTASTIC !!!!!

That sounds so much better - didn't really like the idea of staples in my stomach.

Wow - Think he really is a good surgeon - done some research on him and apparently he was the founder of doin this op laproscopically, AND he and simon dexter (also at leeds) were the first surgeons in this country to perform the roux en y bypass.

So i feel in quite safe hands !!!

hey FANTASTIC !!!!!

That sounds so much better - didn't really like the idea of staples in my stomach.

Wow - Think he really is a good surgeon - done some research on him and apparently he was the founder of doin this op laproscopically, AND he and simon dexter (also at leeds) were the first surgeons in this country to perform the roux en y bypass.

So i feel in quite safe hands !!!
yes so did i,i googled him. he seems to be the best in the country.
simon dexter who's also at nuffields uses staples.so i think we got the best man for the job!

sounds good to me!!

Gonna say night night now chick - need my beauty sleep!!

Feel free to e-mail me any time if you have any more info.

Wonder if the hospital info they gave you would scan then you cold send it me to have a sneak preview of them ???

Will have to try it - if you don't mind !!

yes that is one good thing, you have a follow up appointment 4 weeks post op and then i think thats it.
Just remebered something you may find interesting,Mike(proff) does n't use a staple gun like other surgeons. he sews the stomache by hand so there is gauanteed no leakage.The surgery takes slightly longer but who cares as long as you don't leak.
take care michelle

hi
i had my bypass 14 weeks ago by prof mcmahon he used titanium staples on me.

hi
i had my bypass 14 weeks ago by prof mcmahon he used titanium staples on me.

well thats strange unless its something he's just started to .
On my 1st consultation he goes into details why he sews rather than staples and also says all this on the paper work i was given.Also when i was seen by the anethestiast he checked 1st weather it was mr dextor or mike mcmahon who was doing it ,because he said the op would take slightly longer due to prof mcmahon hand sewing my stomache.
shows everyones experiences do differ......
michelle7272

Please could one of you or both help.

ive decided i definately want this surgery but am unsure wheather to go for the band or bypass help?
i too am in leeds and have been looking at this place to get my operation.

THe information i have read so far has been very helpful and interesting could i ask a fe questions.

Is there anything you cant do since the oeration?
If you had the choice again would you have had it done?
What is the pain like?
what cant you eat again?
can you go to a hot country and sun bathe? ( i know these questions may sound stupid but i have to ask)
Can you drink on them? please get in touch

many thanks

julie (23)

hi there julley23,
sorry for the delay in replying, pc went bang so been waiting for pcworld to get new parts.
anyway when i 1st went to my gp i only asked about the band.then i had my 1st consultation where my surgeon explained about the different surgeries that can be done but it all depends on your bmi.i was 58 i think,23.7 stone,and too big for the band.
now to ur questions..
nothing at all, i avoid bread but still pinch the odd pizza slice and eat wraps.
pain...not that much ,more discomfort like trapped wind,only took pain killers for 2 days and not many.i actually enjoyed the experience and was like a peaceful break away in a nice hotel.lol.
your taste buds change slightly,i always liked salad n veg, and wasnt into cakes too much,i love a really nice salad,wraps,curry,stew,pasta.
regarding going on hols..i havent yet,i hav no scars (keyhole surgery) although i am now nearly 9 stone less and my skin is very saggy,bingo wings,etc so that would be my only problem if i went on holiday.
you wanna see in my wheely bin...lol yes no problem drinking ,at 1st slowly and now i drink as i use to,you usually feel the effect of your 1st glass instantly. so ifyou drive wait 20 minutes before you drive.i cant drink baileys anymore i seem to goe lactose intollerent and makes me feel sicky.so does fresh orange.everyone is different,i have a friend who had the bypass too at roundhay but had open surgery,and has different pros and cons.
anymore questions feel free to ask...
where in leeds are you?
i am west , lower wortley and work in bramley.
take care. michelle x

Back