• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Bypass in Leeds admitted tomorrow.

Laura.

Hi everyone, I cannot beleive I have only just come across this forum.
I go into Leeds Nuffield tomorrow to have my procedure done by Professor McMahon on thursday.:D
I was due to have my op last week but it was cancelled last minute after I was admitted due to my surgeon having no assistant, to say I was gutted was an understatement.
Anyway I'm scared and nervous and can't beleive it will actually happen this time.
I'm actually 36 BMI with Degenerative Disc Disease and I live every single day in pain with my back, it's blighting my life, I can't wait to be lighter and enjoy my children more and my husband.
Sorry its a rushed post but I have only just found you and I'm so excited!

:D:D :welcome2:Laura,

Hi there, your right this is a bloomin great site, i only found it a few weeks ago and now i am addicted. I love reading about peoples stories and WL journies

:talk017: good luck for tomorow. If you dont mind me asking how long has it taken for you to get t the surgery stage??
I live in Blackpool and it looks like my surgery is goingto be done in the Wirral. I go for my pre-op assessment on Monday and they have told me i should get a date then. I cant wait!!!!!
Have you had to do a pre-op diet??
Sorry for all the questions!!:sigh:
Wish you the best of luck for tomorrow xxxx

HiYa Laura,

Welcome to minis, so glad you have found us,
Everyone here is just brilliant and so understanding,
Its a Fab forum.
I want to wish you the best of luck with your Op and a very speedy recovery, Your gonna feel so much better so heres to a new you x

Goodluck Laura, don't forget to share your eperience when you are back home.
You will get lots of support here as everyone here are so nice, kind and understanding.

Welcome to Mini's xx

Good luck Laura. I'm with the prof on July 23rd (isn't he a sweetheart!). How did the pre op diet go, did you manage to follow the milk diet???? God you will feel so much better in a few months. I'm a bit concerned they had to cancel last week. I'm coming over from the Isle of Man and the amount of money that's cost outside of the operation costs makes you want to weep - cancellation would cost even more. Any how back to you. Listen to everything the prof, nurses, dieticians say and really get this tool to work for you!! God Bless and can't "weight" to hear how you are getting on, luv Debs xx

Hi , wow what quick and lovely replies!
The prof is a darling yes, he makes me feel safe and I'm happy with my "life" in his hands.
The cancellation last week was a massive blow and caused chaos for my whole family, who had travelled from london, taken time off work, arranged childcare and thats not even half of it, i was devastated and even though it wasn't my fault I felt so guilty.
Fingers crossed for tomorrow.
The milk liver shrinking diet is horrendous I have been on it for 2 weeks now because of op delay and I cannot stand it.
Thankyou all for your words of support.
How do I get my avatar on:(?

Hi Laura

Welcome to minis and good luck for tomorrow.

Avatar... I'm a newbie too but I believe you can't till you've been a member a bit longer with a few more posts.

Looking forward to chatching up with you after

All the best

Hi everyone, I cannot beleive I have only just come across this forum.
I go into Leeds Nuffield tomorrow to have my procedure done by Professor McMahon on thursday.:D
I was due to have my op last week but it was cancelled last minute after I was admitted due to my surgeon having no assistant, to say I was gutted was an understatement.
Anyway I'm scared and nervous and can't beleive it will actually happen this time.
I'm actually 36 BMI with Degenerative Disc Disease and I live every single day in pain with my back, it's blighting my life, I can't wait to be lighter and enjoy my children more and my husband.
Sorry its a rushed post but I have only just found you and I'm so excited!

Hi Laura,

Welcome to Minimins.
All the best for Thursday.
I understand about your back problem I have I also have had back trouble for 20 years. Now it is affecting my hip.

Don't be a stranger now you found us :). I'd love to know how you got on after Op.

Hi Laura and WELCOME to Minis - well you have found us now so that's all that matters:)

Hope everything goes well for your bypass op and i am looking forward to following your weight loss journey - you will be a member of the losers bench and you will be in VERY good company.:)

Sending you hugs with fairy dust to calm you and to have a trouble free op and a speedy recovery:)

Hi Laura
Welcome to "minis". I too came across this site by "accident" and i'm so glad i did. I't so good to "talk to people who really understand the journey we are all on. Good luck for Thursday and come back when you are fit enough and share your experience. Wishing you a speedy recovery xx

Hello...
I was bypassed by the proff two weeks ago today... infact around this time i was just being put under.
Best of luck...
You will be home before you know it :)

The proff iis a good man, your in good hands :)

.x.

Wow you were with him 2 weeks ago, is there anything you can tell me or any tips you can give me just to make me feel a little bit more prepared please?
Anyone else done by the prof?
Thanks everyone for replies:)

I've got to say, I didn't have the best time, but thats not the norm.
Most of the staff were fab.
Just remember, if your in pain, ask for someting, and if you feel sick, ask for something and as much as you may not want to (and i really didnt) getting up and moving around really does help :)

.x.

Can I please, please ask for details on "not the best time" it would really help prepare me, I tried to PM you but I don't have sufficient priveleges yet sorry!:(
Thankyou, a very very very nervous Laura.

Hi Laura and :welcome2:to mini's I know how you feel about your cancelled op as that happened to me too at Sheffield.Was in my gown and had moon boots and drips in and then was told it wasnt happening due to no bed on hdu. I was so gutted I could'nt stop crying and was even thinking about cancelling my op altogether so I did'nt have to go through it again. BUT I'm now banded and want to wish you Good luck for your op tomorrow.Come back when your well now you know where we are and tell us all about it and there'll be loads of peeps to help you on your wls journey. xxxGaynorxxx

I had a problem with the anasthetic.
I was laid on a table, and they said i should feel a warm nice feeling, at which point i made a groan.
Someone asked if I was okay, i said it didnt feel good (which is the exact same thing id said several years ago when having blood taken and i passed out) then someone said i didn't look too good... just what i wanted to hear.
The anathatist said it would be best to put me straight to sleep then (so no couting backwards etc) and thats the last thing i remember being told.

When i came round enough to understand, i was told that i had given the anathtist quite a scare, im still not sure why, as i wasnt up to asking the in's and outs of what happened. But it gave me an irregular heartbeat during and after my op... so i spent longer on CCU and was on oxygen for longer.
I had to see a cardiologist and i was hooked up to a heart monitor which would go off every time my heart when into an irregular rythem... which is did several times an hour at first, and then just once or twice a hour. But they said it should settle down in a few weeks or months.

When trying to walk around on the thursday after my op (i had it on the tues) i ended up collapsed in a wheel chair, and my blood pressue shot up... but i was allowed home later that day.

I found the whole thing very traumatic... but i was very scard before hand, and i think i passed out as they were putting me to sleep, which is why i "didnt feel good"

I had a lot of pain post op.. however i found i couldnt take the liquid paracetamol as it made me want to be sick... and when i was given tramadol i would throw up instantly. So in the end they gave me more iv paracetamol... i was still on this when another lady who had her op the same day as me walked past on her way out.

BUT... please please dont worry, this isnt how it normally is...
The two other women who had it done the day i did seemd fine one was trying to talk to me, but ive got to admit i was rubbish and couldnt really manage a convo...and i threw up while she was trying lol thanks tramadol, i saw them up and walking about, one of them seemed a little confused i looked so rough... i imagin cos she felt fine... she looked it :)

Im just a big ol wuss! :)

.x.

ps. i know the spelling in this is aweful... i have to say, i think im still having an issue with anathetic still lingering in me, as im finding the things im wanting to type are coming out as diff words lol... and i just plain ol suck at spelling.

Back