• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

gastric bypass update! got loads excess skin help.....

michelle7272

HI ALL,
THOUGHT I'D BOB IN AND SAY HI TO ALL THE NEWBIES AND OLD UN'S.
quick update .... it's been 7 months exactley since i had my gastric bypass at Nuffields in leeds by the wonderful proffesor Mike Mcmahon.Best thing i have ever done, up to now i've lost 7 stone and feel like a new person, the reason really i aint been into this site,suddenly realised i got a life again.Even went out into town this week and felt nearly normal,(well physically anyway , lol.)My pc and my online friends were my only social life, but now i actually leave my house.
Is there anybody who has gont to the next stage of excess skin removal? my surgeon told me it can be done and on the nhs but not know of anyone who's had that done.
I will definatley need it doing,got bingo wings,deflated boobs,giant bumb bag,mitchelin legs.

hi michelle, i had a band i lost 7 stone also, my band was nhs and i had a nhs tum tuck, when the time was right for me, it was an automatic thing after nhs banding in my area i didnt have to fight for funding ect. was your bypass private or nhs, if it was nhs then they would be likley to fund the follow on ops such as plastics, if you had a private bypass then the fight for nhs help with plastics seems to be alot harder.

liz x

congratulations, i had it done on the nhs in june. i know it will be a while before anything can be done for the excess skin . i still have a few more stone to loose.
my next hspital appintment isnt until june which will be exactley a year so probably the time to ask.

yes ask them, start the ball rolling so you can at least be refered to plastics or put on the waiting list

no advice about excess skin removal Michelle but just wanted to say well done on your amazing weight loss and on rediscovering your social life. x

fantastic weight loss, i hope to feel like you do ,one day,still early days for me, got funding waiting for appointments, again welldone.

Hi Shel, Well done on the 7 stone, you've done fantastically. And also on the social side of things, glad you're getting out there and living.

As for skin removal, Mr Pollard told me that the only way the NHS would do it, is if you can prove that the excess skin is causing your sufficient distress. That they don't even fund breast reconstruction to cancer victims, it's that bad, and warned me not to count on it.

I do hope however, that that changes in our PCT.

Hi Shel, Well done on the 7 stone, you've done fantastically. And also on the social side of things, glad you're getting out there and living.

As for skin removal, Mr Pollard told me that the only way the NHS would do it, is if you can prove that the excess skin is causing your sufficient distress. That they don't even fund breast reconstruction to cancer victims, it's that bad, and warned me not to count on it.

I do hope however, that that changes in our PCT.

Thats conflicting information to what I was told. There was a woman in hospital the same time as I had my bypass and she was having a tummy tuck done after a bypass. Mr Pollard told me he will take me from the begining of my journey right through to the end, being skin removal if necessary.

hi michelle, just wanted to say congratulations on your weight loss so far.i live in the southwest and am due to have bypass surgury on the 19th of jan but when i first met my surgeon i was asked to sign a form to say that the pct did not routinely fund excess skin removal but only under very exceptional circumstances of medical need.but as we know all areas behave differently

Thats conflicting information to what I was told. There was a woman in hospital the same time as I had my bypass and she was having a tummy tuck done after a bypass. Mr Pollard told me he will take me from the begining of my journey right through to the end, being skin removal if necessary.

Isn't is strange that the same surgeon has told us both something completely different. As he made it very clear that unless the government changes, i would not get 'cosmetic' surgery.
He even sent a letter to me, my gp, and the dietetic consultant Emma Croft explaining this.

:clap::clap::clap: Very well done on your success so far!

I am waiting for date for my bypass (NHS). The team aty the hospital told me they don't do plastics but will support me in any application I make for it, should I need it. And I think I will....

All the best for the rest of your journey.

hi i have just been refered for gastic surgery.. i have not had any written confirmation yet and dont really no how it works. could ne on please fill me in on waiting times ect.

I go see Mr Pollard in Leeds on the 30th July ... lets see what he says to me ..:confused:

hi i have just been refered for gastic surgery.. i have not had any written confirmation yet and dont really no how it works. could ne on please fill me in on waiting times ect.

hi there,
i only had 6 weeks roughly to wait from my 1st consultation,i never got anything in writing, apart from my 1st appointment to see the surgeon at nuffields.
any questions dont hesitate to ask its the best thing i have ever done and made me a completely different person,e.g in a good way!
i am now 10 stone 7lbs down in just over a year.
good luck ...shell x

Hi michelle congratulations on your progress so far i hope i can acheive this aswell, just wanted to ask a quick question on the waiting times as there doesnt seem to be any information out there lol. Im at my second appointment with the hospital next week and im still waiting to see a dietition and have just been told were i need to go to get a psycological thing done lol what ever that is do you know roughly from this stage how long i can expect to wait, my last appointment at hospital was about 3 months ago and he said he was doing something about funding?? hope to hear back from you and to follow your progress.

Thanks

Back