• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hair loss !

I had a mini gastric bypass at the end of Seotember 2013 - so am nearly 4 months post op. My problem is hair loss - it is literally coming out in handfuls !

I am aware that this is a known side effect but I am wondering if anyone has any tips or advise as to what I can do to help this situation any. Luckily my hair was pretty thick to begin with, but this is beginning to worry me a little.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi my hair went very thin on lighter life but not since my bypass as much . Happens a lot, and it will recover.
Can I ask what's the difference between a bypass and a mini bypass? X

Yeah I was wondering what mini was too.

I've had hair loss with band - especially around fringe/front. Do you have PCOS as well? As that's something that can cause hair loss/thinning also x

Hi my hair went very thin on lighter life but not since my bypass as much . Happens a lot, and it will recover. Can I ask what's the difference between a bypass and a mini bypass? X

image-3557029649.jpg

Attached a picture showing the difference between RNY and mini bypass - hope it's worked ! Glad to hear my hair will recover x

I have pcos. I have very fine hair anyway but thought my hair may go fine after my op because if how thin it went on lighter life. So I had it cut into a really short pixi cut.
It doesn't take long to recover x

View attachment 11240

Attached a picture showing the difference between RNY and mini bypass - hope it's worked ! Glad to hear my hair will recover x

I had hair loss 6months post wrap as I was not taking multi vits??? Which vits do u take daily now.
I had mine cut into a short Bob so I still felt girlie & cud clip back fringe.

I'll b taking every multivitamin poss this time :) but sod all u can do abt it. Having the Bob helped not having to deal with giant hairballs which I did find distressing xxx

I am taking Forceval (multi vits) and Adcal-D3 (calcium) religiously x

Might have to go a bit shorter cut if it gets worse but short hair never suited me ! Maybe it will now my face isn't so fat ha ha ! :)

I am taking Forceval (multi vits) and Adcal-D3 (calcium) religiously x

Might have to go a bit shorter cut if it gets worse but short hair never suited me ! Maybe it will now my face isn't so fat ha ha ! :)

You'd b surprised...few extra cheeky hi-lights etc then it feels like a treat rather than a trial. I told hairdresser I was suffering from iron deficiency so I didn't have to explain x

It will recover pink lady :). My hairdresser was mortified as her hands were full of the hair that was just falling out as she washed it! My hair was always thick and it is quite a shocker to see it thinning so drastically. That was about five month ago and it is now almost back to normal but I did have to get it cut just to get rid of the straggly hair I was left with. Keep up the multi vits and try to get as much protein in as feasible. I only wash it every two/three days now so as not overpull it :)

Thanks for advise ladies - am relieved to hear that it will get better with time - until then may have to re-think my style ! ;)

Hi just finished reading this thread. I'm nearly 12 weeks postop bypass. my hair is falling out at an alarming rate. first it was just a bit in the shower now when I wake up in the morning it's on my pillow and when I put my fingers through my hair there's loads coming out. luckily I have very thick hair so can't notice but I'm hoping it will slow down soon x

I am on solvazinc which has helped and the diet nurse said to try vitamin B1 Thiamin from Holland and Barrett she said you can't overdose on it as you just wee it out I take one 100mg tab daily just after food same as zinc , I was vomiting the day I took both of them on an empty stomach (never again big big mistake).
I have been takeing them since the start of the year and my hair is slowly looking a bit better. Good luck as I have baby fine fine hair start with.

I am on solvazinc which has helped and the diet nurse said to try vitamin B1 Thiamin from Holland and Barrett she said you can't overdose on it as you just wee it out I take one 100mg tab daily just after food same as zinc , I was vomiting the day I took both of them on an empty stomach (never again big big mistake).
I have been takeing them since the start of the year and my hair is slowly looking a bit better. Good luck as I have baby fine fine hair start with.

thankyou I will give this a try x

reading this has made me think ....does everyone having your type of op or mine (not yet carried out ,sometime this year)a gastric band lose hair? I already have short hair lose a lot a while back when I was really poorly and its only just coming back
is it worth say just before I have my gastric band done cutting my hair before or just wait and see if it does happen
any advise would be great

reading this has made me think ....does everyone having your type of op or mine (not yet carried out ,sometime this year)a gastric band lose hair? I already have short hair lose a lot a while back when I was really poorly and its only just coming back
is it worth say just before I have my gastric band done cutting my hair before or just wait and see if it does happen
Like u loz I am thinking about the hair loss. My hair is fine and I am worried in case it all falls out. I am not bothered about the op its the after effects....... I know i wont get away without any at all but the hair loss is one i want to avoid if at all possible.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what these lovely people suggest. xx

I am on solvazinc which has helped and the diet nurse said to try vitamin B1 Thiamin from Holland and Barrett she said you can't overdose on it as you just wee it out I take one 100mg tab daily just after food same as zinc , I was vomiting the day I took both of them on an empty stomach (never again big big mistake). I have been takeing them since the start of the year and my hair is slowly looking a bit better. Good luck as I have baby fine fine hair start with.

Thanks for advise - am seeing my dietician on Tuesday so will ask her about the zinc and vitamin B1 supplements :)

Not specific to bypassers.
I had the balloon for six months prior to the bypass and started to lose my hair before my op hun. It's the body's way of reining in its energy outputs... In it's book hair is expendable :rolleyes: xx

Even though my hair is falling out ALOT it is not noticeable to anyone who didn't know about it.

Also a lady who had a gastric sleeve the same day as me who I kept in touch with me has no hair loss whatsoever - so you maybe lucky and be fine ! ;)

Like u loz I am thinking about the hair loss. My hair is fine and I am worried in case it all falls out. I am not bothered about the op its the after effects....... I know i wont get away without any at all but the hair loss is one i want to avoid if at all possible.

I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see what these lovely people suggest. xx

I worried about that too but no you want lose it all ;). tbh nobody apart from me and my hairdresser really noticed it. X

Back