• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi im thinking about gastric surgery

Once youve been refered and you get ur appointment thru the hospital will reccomend what they think will work best but you will need to 100% honest about your eating habbits. I started with idea of a band but was told the bypass would be best for me so I went with what they thought would work best and 4 mth since op and just over 5 stone down I love my bypass. But you are doing the right thing with ur own research I did loads you cant do enough lol also I dont think you can get the wrap on the NHS think thats just done private at the moment.

But you can have kids after a bypass so dont worry xx

Thanks for that its nice to hear people's different views on bands bypasses ect hope your opp went well and hope mine don't take too long x

Hi. I'm from Bradford too am have chosen a gastric sleeve. there is no mainenance unlike a gastric band and is not as invasive as a bypass as u keep ur pyloric valve. The long term weight loss is similar to bypass but there are no long term results yet. Mr Gokhale says it will probably take over from the bypass as the gold standard once long term results are available.

Good luck whatever u choose. Bradford has a great support group; i would highly recommend it xxx

Hiya thank you for your reply how long has it all taken you?its nice to talk to someone from the same town as me so the Sleeve how does it work?I haven't read much about the sleeve xx

Punkwitch said:
Hi. I'm from Bradford too am have chosen a gastric sleeve. there is no mainenance unlike a gastric band and is not as invasive as a bypass as u keep ur pyloric valve. The long term weight loss is similar to bypass but there are no long term results yet. Mr Gokhale says it will probably take over from the bypass as the gold standard once long term results are available.

Good luck whatever u choose. Bradford has a great support group; i would highly recommend it xxx

Did you have your opp done at the BRI?would be nice to chat more with you nice to talk to ppl in same town as me :) x

London Obesity Centre
Take a look at this website. It's from my surgeons website. I think it is very informative.
Please don't worry to much about a definitive decision yet. Just try to understand what the fundementals are of the choices & why different ops are best for different people. This with you consultants advice will enable you to make an informed decision when it comes to it.
Good luck. 2 weeks post gastric sleeve op & have lost 17lbs. Total weight loss since January 54 lbs. it will be worth it.

When I had my first seminar about my op I was told the band is best if your not so much of a sweet fan because things like chocolate slips down very easily preventing you from loosing weight even with a band so it works with will power also it only really works if your only problem with food is big portion sizes where as bypass is best if your a sweet fan and a picker because sugar can make you poorly with bypass xxxx hope everything goes well huni take care Xx

Thank for the information both of you I get bored and eat.but it's not sweets like I said I like my bread lol I've cut down on a lot of things and have just stopped smoking too and don't no if I've don't the right thing with the smoking as I want to eat all the time just hope I have the will power all you lady's on here have x

Hi. I was accepted for funding last april and am having my operation in may so it will have taken 13 months. i would have been having the op at BRI but theres a backlog so I'm now going to yorkshire clinic. u need to have a BMI of 50+ to get funding in bradford unless u have other comorbitities. bradford do either band, sleeve or bypass. they do not recommend the band because of the amount of excess weight it would give. and because of the maintenance and failure rate. these are the consultants words not mine.

I think u need to do a LOT of research to help u reach a decision. lots of internet sites do comparisons between sleeve and bypass. if u leave it to the consultant to choose he will just say bypass. I did a lot of research and then persuaded the consultant to do the sleeve.

Whichever surgery u choose u will be able to have children but u need to wait until u have fully healed and preferably lost the weight.

Good luck!

Punkwitch said:
Hi. I was accepted for funding last april and am having my operation in may so it will have taken 13 months. i would have been having the op at BRI but theres a backlog so I'm now going to yorkshire clinic. u need to have a BMI of 50+ to get funding in bradford unless u have other comorbitities. bradford do either band, sleeve or bypass. they do not recommend the band because of the amount of excess weight it would give. and because of the maintenance and failure rate. these are the consultants words not mine.

I think u need to do a LOT of research to help u reach a decision. lots of internet sites do comparisons between sleeve and bypass. if u leave it to the consultant to choose he will just say bypass. I did a lot of research and then persuaded the consultant to do the sleeve.

Whichever surgery u choose u will be able to have children but u need to wait until u have fully healed and preferably lost the weight.

Good luck!

Thanks for that the reason my doc has segregated gastric surgery is coz I need an opp to fix my knee but my consultant won't do it till my BMI is below 40 he is also writing me a supporting letter as I've been trying to lose weight but can't exercise with my knee as I'm on crutches so just hope him writing a letter to support the referral works fingers crossed thanks again xx

Punkwitch said:

Good luck!

Also did you have to do a weight management course?thanks again xx

Everyone in my pct has to do the weight management course and prove they can lose some weight, we also have to see a psychologist and my surgeon won't operate if you smoke! My pct is Northumbria x

Mandz66 said:
Everyone in my pct has to do the weight management course and prove they can lose some weight, we also have to see a psychologist and my surgeon won't operate if you smoke! My pct is Northumbria x

Ok thanks for that bit of info x

No there is no weight management course to do. All the sugeons at bradford are excellent and the dieticans are nice so if u get accepted u will be fine. It sounds very promising if u need to lose weight for another operation. i would be tempted to have something heavy in my pocket the next time i got weighed at the doctors lol, push u into the 50+ BMI!!!! Xxx

Back