• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is it usual to feel like you are eating a lot on puree?

angelica13

Just wanted to ask bypassers -
is it usual to be able to eat quite a lot of pureed food? I mean, nowhere near what I could eat before, but I can eat more than I expected to be able to.
I started out with ramekins, but I can now eat probably half a cereal bowl of puree. I'm sure that I read on here someone saying that they didn't properly feel full until they started on solid food.
I can also manage a tumbler of milk or juice quite easily.

My bypass was 4 weeks ago on Friday - counting down my last days on puree! I have had to do 4 weeks of pureed food straight after my op.

I am losing weight fine, sticking to the post op foods which the hospital advised, and feel great. The only niggle I have is whether I am eating a bit much? I guess it's all going very well, the pessimist in me is looking for something I'm doing wrong!

Yes it's normal. You are still swollen and sore on the inside so you aren't feeling the full effects of the pouch until the swelling goes down a bit more. When I started eating mashed food and crackers with soft food I could feel the restriction a lot more. Liquid will slide through very easily where as the more solid the food, the longer it will sit in your pouch and give you a nice full feeling. If you are losing weight and not being sick, you are doing well. If you worry you are eating too much try sticking to a ramekin size portion of puree/half mug soup at a time but I think it sounds like you are dong fine :) x

Yes its normal, even though im a sleever i thought i was comsuming loads of liquid, and worried myself stupid about it. As long as your not drinking double cream the calories are quite minimum.

Kim

I have felt the same and I was very worried that I was drinking gallons I can also eat a fir bit of pureer so i do limit that and try and have a tradition meal, meat, veg and a pudding,such as fruit.

Meat and 2 veg is the way to go with a little complex carb.
I can never finish that sort of meal and it really fills me up. I have 15 pots of pick and mix dinners in the freezer and they have been my life saver at dinner times, who wants to cook 4-6 oz of dinner every night!! :eek:

Kim

gee good question i am nearly 3 weeks out of op.. and on puree meals and also have about 1/3rd of a breakfast dish and wondered was that a bit much as im my booklet it says 6 tablespoons max... but im a little over 6 tablespoons i think but do feel full and restricted when finished.. but am eating frozen mash and puree veg with a little brown sauce and its actualy quite nice but when i was on liquids i could eat a whole tin of tomato soup and when i told the hospital dietition this she said that was just fine as the book is just a guideline... but ive lost everyday after my op between 1llb to 3llb daily hope this helps .. xx..

Wow - fantastic weight loss! x

Thank you everyone.

I won't worry about it too much then.

I think I need to look at having more protein / veg dinners though. I have been cooking for all of us together this week, as I didn't want to cook separate stuff. It has been lovely, but having things like lasagne is probably too much carb, and as they all love mash, I have been having bits of that too. Maybe I'll make a batch of soup to see me to Friday - soft food day!! :D

Thanks for the brill advice.

Emma x

Back