• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

lost all interest in eating

miss_malone

has this happened to anyone else? it's not just that i'm not hungry - even when I am I simply don't want to eat. I was doing ok on solids there for a couple of weeks, but more and more am finding myself wanting to have a protein shake or a soup. It's quick, easy and gets the whole 'oh right i have to consume some nutrients' thing out of the way.

I've had a couple of incidents of dumping, so that made me steer clear of sweet things. And last night I had a a horrible vomiting incident where something got stuck (I was rather reluctantly eating small pieces of chicken).

It used to be that i turned to food all the time (stress, comfort, celebration etc) - you don't get to 24 stone without being a big eater. but since my op i seem to be going too far in the other direction and I dont want to eat at all.

I'm a few weeks behind you and have only just moved onto solids but I'm kind of the same. I find getting down enough a real chore and although I haven't bought any protein shakes etc I am relying on milky drinks a little too much. It's all very strange as, like you, before the op food was all I thought about!

Enjoy it whilst it lasts. Use the shakes etc if need be, make sure you're getting the correct amount of protein ,take your vits and all will be fine :), food will be there when you're ready.

I've had a couple of incidents of dumping, so that made me steer clear of sweet things.

I've read a few posts regarding this (no interest in food) so you're not alone! ;) I just wanted to ask what specifically caused you to dump please? Thank you x x

Hey everyone,

I'm the same....just eating because my body needs food, not because i'm hungry or that i want to eat.....once upon a time, namely 3 months ago it was the opposite lol.....everyone says as time goes by i will eat more as i will become hungrier but as of now i'm ok trying to keep up with the protein my body needs.... altho i dont think im having the correct amount, going to try the shakes :)

Last edited:
I am exactly the same. I am 9 months out and can take or leave food for days. Trouble is I am now at goal and don't really want to loose much more weight. Keep thinking I will even out eventually. Food has lost all appeal!

I can go quite a while without even thinking of food - which is unlike me...;)

At the moment meal times consist mainly of intakes of vitamins and veg etc to keep the body ticking over. Otherwise I overeat, and if it's not the case of the stomach gurgles - it's stomach pain. So I limit myself to 2 scoops of beans for example. Half tin of soup etc. I'm never hungry after this op.

One thing I will say is, my smell of food has hightened somewhat. Anywhere cooking and my nose is sniffing away. Thankfully my belly is ignoring telling my brain of what info my nose is picking up. So far so good, then.

....... Food has lost all pleasure for me - which is probably just as well or I would be stretching my sleeve - it is something I need to do to function, but hunger and anticipation of a meal are a thing of the past. I still do protein shakes - because they are quick and easy for breakfast. Relax, it will come good, remember it is our relationships with food that have gotten us to this place - so the new relationship is going to feel 'different' for a while.

....... Food has lost all pleasure for me - which is probably just as well or I would be stretching my sleeve - it is something I need to do to function, but hunger and anticipation of a meal are a thing of the past. I still do protein shakes - because they are quick and easy for breakfast. Relax, it will come good, remember it is our relationships with food that have gotten us to this place - so the new relationship is going to feel 'different' for a while.

what protein shakes are you using as i am not eating no where near as much as i should be.

what protein shakes are you using as i am not eating no where near as much as i should be.

I currently tend to use Slimfast - with skimmed milk. Mornings are bit rushed, so I find it easy to assemble a shake to take my vitamins, rather than eat & wait for space to drink later. At the weekends I tend to have a solid breakfast as time permits.
Holland and Barratt have some quite good protein shakes too - these are also in my cupboard, but at the moment the strawberry slimfast is my favorite.

I'll probably have sickened my self of it in a week or two and be heading over to H&B Banana or something....5 days out of 7 - it is my convenient choice.

Hi all, i am only speaking from my experiance here so please dont all jump on me, i am concerned to see that most of you are not wanting to eat.....i too had this although my problem turned out to be different in the end i was still treated like a had an eating disorder, You must all eat what you need as your provider has told you too and if you feel that you are not getting enough in you or could be slipping into an unhealthy eating pattern because you dont feel hungry i strongly suggest that you contact your dietician and tell them how you are feeling and see if they can help you to adjust or tweek your current situation xx i wish you all the very best of luck, at the moment i am dealing with severe malnurishment issues and on a feeding tube, if the dieticians had known in advance how i was feeling regarding the lack of hunger then my problem might have been a better outcome to the one i have xxx

thank you, its a long road ahead but i'm determined to get there in bits or in one piece i'l get there xx

I'll admit, I found the puree diet a struggle and missed my liver diet. 4 weeks in, I'm now on soft foods etc which are a bit better I guess.

I'll admit, I found the puree diet a struggle and missed my liver diet. 4 weeks in, I'm now on soft foods etc which are a bit better I guess.

I hated the purée stage too. Initially I was looking forward to it after liquids, but the texture of the food turned me a bit.

I'm recently sleeved and finding my protein shakes a godsend. I can't believe my dietician told me not to bother with them and just to get protein from pureed meat and milk. I'd be struggling to get anywhere near 10g of protein if I was to rely on pureed meat and I'm a big fella too so I really need to be approaching around 80g of protein per day.
It's early days so I'm not too bothered that I do not want to eat or that I can only manage a few teaspoons of soup at a time, but it is reassuring to know that I'm drip feeding myself enough protein, daily via the shakes.
My friend is a personal trainer and recommended that I purchase Syntha 6 protien powder. It has very good reviews and is actually recommended along with a few others on some US websites for those post op etc. There's a good balance of slow and quick release proteins so it’s ideal for sipping away at throughout the day; there’s some good carbs in there too to help energy levels. Importantly it tastes good too which is a bonus as some powders are not nice at all.

I think it will be very much trial and error re. taste but I think that buying in a tub or two of protein powder can really help to maintain a good daily protein intake.

Yesterday I made a very simple protein dense shake that lasted me all day. I blended a frozen banana in a litre of skimmed milk (32g of protein) added 65g of skimmed milk powder (6.8g of protein) and finally added a scoop of protein powder (21g of protein) That’s a whole daily quota of protein in a 1litre shake.
So today, I have been steadily sipping my way through this shake as well as other fluids so that if I do manage to eat anything on top, it’s an added bonus.
I find that blending a banana in shakes gives the drink a silky texture so it almost tastes like an 'Innocent' smoothie.

I'm now 10 months out and I do feel mild hunger and do crave things. It's not often or every day but I do get the desire to eat I just eat smaller portions. I think for most of us the desire comes back. I just hope it doesn't come back the way it used too but I know I wouldn't be able to eat that much now anyway.

...I must add that I'm not endorsing Syntha 6 protein. There's plenty of good brands out there. My friend recommended Syntha 6 for firstly because he thought I'd benefit from it and secondly - which I thought was very nice of him - because he uses it himself and would buy it of me if I didn't like it!
He told me that some protein powders can be purchased that do not lose much or any of their nutricional value if they are heated. With this type you can make protein rich foods like puddings or pancakes. I sure that a few websites out there will have some good recipes for using this type of thing especially those body building type sites.
Also, Holland & Barrett do stock some good protein powder but they're extremely expensive. You can purchase and sometimes blag a few samples from various suppliment shops or websites. That way you can be sure you like the taste of a product before you spend good money on a standard sized tub.

Back