• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

My journey starts here..

Soooo. I'm now officially a bander!

It all went really well, no problems at all. I've spent all afternoon drifting in and out of sleep, only waking up when they came in to check on me and do my blood pressure.

I don't feel any pain at all at the moment which is nice, but I'm not expecting that to last! Just some slight discomfort around the middle of my chest which I guess is where the band is. Took a bit of a big swallow of water earlier and I felt that!

They've just given me a cup of tea which I've been GAGGING for, so I shall sip my way through that.

I must say, it was pretty daunting climbing up on the operating table and having them plug you into everything, but then I went out like a light and remember nothing til I came round.

Franky, if you're reading this, you will be absolutely fine on Thurs.

I'm so relieved it's all done. So far, so good!

Thank you all so much for your messages of support, it really does help.

Great, so glad your feeling ok, I remember dozing all day and night, could even text hardly!! Not so great with pain!
Do u know if they put any in your band yet?

I'm not sure, the surgeon might have said when he came into see me, but I was still a bit out of it. I will ask later.

I'm on my second cup of tea now, it's absolute nectar.

I've been for a stroll around the room as well, and got my pyjamas on.

I have a feeling when all the drugs wear off I might be rather less comfortable, but at the moment it's far better than I was expecting.

Now the worst bit's over, I'm actually a bit excited.

In fact, the worst bit was nearly fainting this morning and having to sit in reception for 2.5 hours. They did apologise though and said it was because a couple of people weren't well enough to be discharged early, so my room wasn't ready.

The rest has been a very pleasant experience, I can't praise the staff here enough.

It's great having wi-fi and my phone in the room, I'm happily posting on here, calling my other half and messaging friends.

The nurse has told me that the band is currently empty, so I will look forward to my first fill.

Still feeling fine, just a bit tired. No wind pain whatsoever (yet?). Only pain is a dull ache just under my ribs in the middle. The nurse is getting me some paracetamol which should sort that out.

Seems weird lying here watching Holby City, since when has Paul O'Grady been in it? He is an absolutely appalling actor!!

Oh, I'm being discharged at 7am..

Lucky you, I had nothing but peppermint tea the first night. I was bloody starving. They claimed there was nothing to eat and in a private hospital.

Enjoy it and best of luck xxxx

I'm so glad it all went so well bb! Lucky you, getting soup - nothing but water for me until the following morning when I had two jugs of coffee!

I hope you manage to get some sleep in between the checks x

Ah thanks.

Wide awake at 2.30am, what is THAT about!?

I thought the bathroom tap was dripping but it was the loo cistern.

Happily I'm not in any pain at all, even though everything has worn off.

Just got a dry throat!

Right, time to grab a few more hours before home time.

Managed to get another couple of hours. Now all ready to go home, just having breakfast.

Yoghurt and fruit juice, nice.

I'm VERY bloated, but otherwise absolutely fine, and not feeling too sore.

I even get to keep the lap band box as a souvenir.

I'm so looking forward to a few days off work resting, I'm not going back til next Thursday.

It's great to hear from you. I hope that the journey home goes well, enjoy those days resting up.

I must say, it's great to be back home.

I've had a mint & liquorice tea, now enjoying a Complan shake for lunch.

A little tip for you...if you suffer with trapped wind in your chest try having a drink of marmite. Apparently it's the salt, it works fantastically well but you will burp extremely loudly at least I did!!

Banderbird, I am so glad you posted this thread on your journey to the operating table. I am sorry but I did laugh when you fainted. That would be something that would happen to me.
I am glad you came round and are through the op. I would love to know how your future journey goes and how you feel in the coming days.

Glad you are home safe and sound! It's such a nice feeling getting back into your own bed!

Enjoy your recovery time and rest, but keep mobile and move around when you can.

Justine x

You got your self a week worth of clexane! Darn stuff!
I spent a week in bed feeling very sorry for myself, I must say reading how your feeling is making me think I was a bit of a wimp!

I would love to know what this magical stuff is and what it does....Its been mentioned loads of times in different threads....can Some explain what ive got to look forward to?? Sounds divine....

Injections to help prevent blood clots. My 86 yr old nan gave me mine....I'm a coward and so was my mum. You'll dine out on the brushes for weeks, or maybe not LOL.

Best of luck xx

Back