• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Portion size

yapper1901

I am 11 weeks post op and am just wondering what a good portion size is
I have been having trouble with sickness and at the moment they can find
Nothing wrong. So I am just ticking everything off

Hello Yapper

I like you had trouble with sickness and pain for weeks after my bypass. But I just wanted to reassure you it does get better. I had my surgery on the 14th of April and can honestly say it's only been in the last 3 weeks that I've been able to eat and drink properly. My only advice that worked for me and I'm sure others will give you support is to listen to your body. Some days I could only eat 2 or 3 teaspoons of food at a time. I would worry constantly about the limited amount I was eating compared to the food sheets I was given post operatively. Now I can eat most things, all sorts of fruit, veggies and my liquid intake is nearly at 2 litres a day. My surgeon is really pleased and said it will get even better. I've found loads of really supportive people on this site. Remember tiny portions as and when you can. Hope this helps. Take care, let us know how you get on. Annie x

Take your food slowly, there's no rush! Better to have little and often and keep it down....

Be sure to drink plenty also.

Food will come in time :) xx

I suffered with nausea for the first 2 months. It does go eventually. All I can say is keep up your fluids as dehydration will make you feel sicky as well. I was living off milky drinks, porridge and fruit puree as that was all I could stomach.

At 11 weeks I was having around 2 - 3 tablespoons of mushy foods but I would take my time over them and some days I could eat it all and other days I could hardly get it down. Listen to your pouch, it will tell you when it's full and that's when you should stop.

Everything is subjective, what is right for some people, isnt for others.

Back