• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Pre-op diet 2+12

Ah at least you were able to snooze so the waiting should have not been too bad :)

Did you meet anyone else who was having weight loss surgery?
Oh, yeah. I enjoyed my snooze :p I came to the theatre half asleep and that was probably the only thing that stopped me from jumping off the table in fear :p

I am afraid, I haven't met anyone. I was just feeling too unwell to even talk to the nurses (some of them were great and just couldn't do enough for me). What about you?

Oh, yeah. I enjoyed my snooze :p I came to the theatre half asleep and that was probably the only thing that stopped me from jumping off the table in fear :p

I am afraid, I haven't met anyone. I was just feeling too unwell to even talk to the nurses (some of them were great and just couldn't do enough for me). What about you?

No. I didnt meet anyone too. I was walking around since the afternoon of the op day hoping to see someone walking around too, but i wasnt lucky enough ;)

Yes the nurses were really nice! (Even though i think i was in a different ward than you were ;)

No. I didnt meet anyone too. I was walking around since the afternoon of the op day hoping to see someone walking around too, but i wasnt lucky enough ;)

Yes the nurses were really nice! (Even though i think i was in a different ward than you were ;)
Yes, your ward was next to mine (its on the same level). I walked past room 505. I am quite surprised but I haven't seen anyone walking either. I don't think I made enough effort to walk but nurses and doctors thought I was doing a great job "because they al saw me doing a lot of walking".

I am quite surprised but I haven't seen anyone walking either.".

I know! At one point i even thought maybe i am walking too much and too early.. But all the nurses were happy i was up and about. And all those little walks around really made me feel better ;)

DAYS 5 - 7: Soup and Yoghurt Diet
After having aweful experience with slimfast shakes on day 4, having soups felt like a real treat (never thought I would say that :D). All was great. No slip ups.

DAY 8: Milk and Yoghurt Diet
It was the day I had my bariatric surgery research assesment at St Georges, so I went for milk and yoghurt option as it was quite easy to follow when you are on the go. Overall I would say it was my favourite option because I could have a savoury dish twice a day (stock) and plenty of yoghurt and milk. Though the amount of yoghurt is the same as on the soup diet, the amount of milk is 5 times more. That means I can have lattes and cappuccinos which is, again, is great when you are on the go.

The assessment went great. The ladies who did it were very nice and supportive. Although I won't see my test results for a while, I have already learned a few interesting things about myself. One is thatI definately don't know how to breath properly. When I think I breath in, I actually breath out, or hold my breath. No surprise then that I could never do any breathing excercises, meditation or yoga. Having a blocked nose in my childhood has a lot to answer for it. I will have to work on it though. That's one more skill for me to learn.

It's strange but I had no appetite today. 500cal was the limit. Yet the excercise level was high. I didn't feel anything when I looked at cakes in a coffee shop, or sandwiches (well, I wanted them, sort of, but I could cope with my head hunger). I think for the first time in my life I didn't feel miserable when I saw other people eating food I couldn't have. In fact I felt happy. And that made me... free. God! It's such a great feeling!

DAYS 9-10: Soup and Yoghurt Diet
Back to soups and my new favourites (never thought it would happen) - lentils. No slip ups.

DAYS 11-12: Milk and Yoghurt Diet
If I were on a normal (not pre-op) diet and the stakes weren't so high, I think these 2 days would have been when I'd given up. The head hunger was so strong I nearly cried. I drank tons of water, tried to distract myself with chores (luckily (or not) I had a lot to do before the op).

------------------------------------
Well, that is it! It was a great experience I must say. Not only I had lost more than a stone (7,5 kg), I have also discovered many things about myself, things that were somehow conceled from me before. Just in 2 short weeks I have learned more than in the last 2 years since I started keeping food diary, recording my moods and feeling assosiated with food. I think the main reason for that is that for the 1st time I did it while ON A DIET, when I am restricting myself, when I have to make tough choices and say "No" to my cravings. And the main 2 discoveries were:

1. Feeling of being deprived brings back memories of the times when I couldn't afford even the basics, let alone treats. Ever since food has in a way become essential to feeling secure (Day 1).

2. Not having treats and gourmet food does NOT mean that I am depriving myself. I am not eating NOT because I can't afford it, but rather because I CAN AFFORD not to eat it. (Day 8)

For an eating disorders sufferer like me ! those were great things to learn, not to hear from someone else, but to experience, to live through, to feel in my head and body.

DAYS 5 - 7: Soup and Yoghurt Diet After having aweful experience with slimfast shakes on day 4, having soups felt like a real treat (never thought I would say that :D). All was great. No slip ups. DAY 8: Milk and Yoghurt Diet It was the day I had my bariatric surgery research assesment at St Georges, so I went for milk and yoghurt option as it was quite easy to follow when you are on the go. Overall I would say it was my favourite option because I could have a savoury dish twice a day (stock) and plenty of yoghurt and milk. Though the amount of yoghurt is the same as on the soup diet, the amount of milk is 5 times more. That means I can have lattes and cappuccinos which is, again, is great when you are on the go. The assessment went great. The ladies who did it were very nice and supportive. Although I won't see my test results for a while, I have already learned a few interesting things about myself. One is thatI definately don't know how to breath properly. When I think I breath in, I actually breath out, or hold my breath. No surprise then that I could never do any breathing excercises, meditation or yoga. Having a blocked nose in my childhood has a lot to answer for it. I will have to work on it though. That's one more skill for me to learn. It's strange but I had no appetite today. 500cal was the limit. Yet the excercise level was high. I didn't feel anything when I looked at cakes in a coffee shop, or sandwiches (well, I wanted them, sort of, but I could cope with my head hunger). I think for the first time in my life I didn't feel miserable when I saw other people eating food I couldn't have. In fact I felt happy. And that made me... free. God! It's such a great feeling! DAYS 9-10: Soup and Yoghurt Diet Back to soups and my new favourites (never thought it would happen) - lentils. No slip ups. DAYS 11-12: Milk and Yoghurt Diet If I were on a normal (not pre-op) diet and the stakes weren't so high, I think these 2 days would have been when I'd given up. The head hunger was so strong I nearly cried. I drank tons of water, tried to distract myself with chores (luckily (or not) I had a lot to do before the op). ------------------------------------ Well, that is it! It was a great experience I must say. Not only I had lost more than a stone (7,5 kg), I have also discovered many things about myself, things that were somehow conceled from me before. Just in 2 short weeks I have learned more than in the last 2 years since I started keeping food diary, recording my moods and feeling assosiated with food. I think the main reason for that is that for the 1st time I did it while ON A DIET, when I am restricting myself, when I have to make tough choices and say "No" to my cravings. And the main 2 discoveries were: 1. Feeling of being deprived brings back memories of the times when I couldn't afford even the basics, let alone treats. Ever since food has in a way become essential to feeling secure (Day 1). 2. Not having treats and gourmet food does NOT mean that I am depriving myself. I am not eating NOT because I can't afford it, but rather because I CAN AFFORD not to eat it. (Day 8) For an eating disorders sufferer like me ! those were great things to learn, not to hear from someone else, but to experience, to live through, to feel in my head and body.

Hi llilliell

I'm very interested in your per op diet. I was told just a low fat diet but I wouldn't mind giving my body a boost. In my prev op's I didn't have any pre op diets.

Was it low fat milk?

Cup a soups ?? Or fresh home made soup?? Was everything just low fat ??

Thanks.

Hi Polly.
Has your doctor given you a diet sheet at all? It is the best to stick to what your doctor says but if you are interested in our diet, have a look at St. George's website. Here's the direct link to the LSD diet booklet (it downloads as PDF).
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFQQFjAG&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.stgeorges.nhs.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F03%2FSt-Georges-Hospital-Liver-Reduction-Diet-Plan.pdf&ei=u1chVIuTF7Lg7QaUv4HACw&usg=AFQjCNGFWEIxti2Uv_UAHQkUTTz_MXx1kQ&sig2=GkbDpsPwSLYGuKIJfzAjPw

Last edited:
Hi Polly. Has your doctor given you a diet sheet at all? It is the best to stick to what your doctor says but if you are interested in our diet, have a look at St. George's website. Here's the dierect link to the LSD diet booklet (it downloads as PDF). https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CFQQFjAG&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.stgeorges.nhs.uk%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2014%2F03%2FSt-Georges-Hospital-Liver-Reduction-Diet-Plan.pdf&ei=u1chVIuTF7Lg7QaUv4HACw&usg=AFQjCNGFWEIxti2Uv_UAHQkUTTz_MXx1kQ&sig2=GkbDpsPwSLYGuKIJfzAjPw

Yes I got a sheet it was just low fat so like brown bread and egg for breakfast
Lunch sandwich or salad
Dinner meat and veg. All fat free etc.

It's mad way they all differ.

Have you managed to download the file? Our hospital gives quite a detailed description, which is very helpful, I think

By any chance do you have a post op sheet? mine doesn't make good english. It actually has toast on week 2 lol which must be a mistake

How many weeks on each phase did ye all do x
Tia

I had my sleev done on the 7th october, and had two days on fluids and am now nearly a week in to four weeks of puree and then four weeks of minced/ mashed consistency and then try the normal everyday consistency hope this helps, have you got a contact number for your provider who you could ask for clarification on the length of the different stages you have to be on

Back