• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Question about the next phase

ravelling

Grateful bypasser
I never thought I would be asking questions like this, but I'd appreciate some input from those of you who are a reasonable way out from surgery.

I'm 14 months post-op now and hit my target a while ago. I revised my target because I had a better understanding of what shape and size my body actually was and then hit that target.

Now I'm 143lbs at 5 feet 6 inches. It's actually starting to look a bit thin (I think, although I have no real idea about my ideal size, having been fat all my adult life). I struggle to see exactly what size I am, but my husband and friends tell me that I should probably stop now. (As if it's something I'm still willfully doing ;) )

I wear a size 10. Now, I know I'm not in the Victoria Beckham, size 0 arena here, but it's significantly smaller than the 325lbs I started out at.

I'm eating about as much as I can get in each day, I've increased my protein and am taking extra protein drinks and bars. I can't add extra carbs as I really don't tolerate them well.

I guess my questions are: how do I move from weightloss to maintenance? Should I be worried about my weight and size? Do we ever stop worrying about some or other aspect of our weight and body?

These are all questions I'll be asking at my next appointment with my surgeon, but I just wanted to ask some questions here as I move into a new phase of the journey.

ravelling said:
I never thought I would be asking questions like this, but I'd appreciate some input from those of you who are a reasonable way out from surgery.

I'm 14 months post-op now and hit my target a while ago. I revised my target because I had a better understanding of what shape and size my body actually was and then hit that target.

Now I'm 143lbs at 5 feet 6 inches. It's actually starting to look a bit thin (I think, although I have no real idea about my ideal size, having been fat all my adult life). I struggle to see exactly what size I am, but my husband and friends tell me that I should probably stop now. (As if it's something I'm still willfully doing ;) )

I wear a size 10. Now, I know I'm not in the Victoria Beckham, size 0 arena here, but it's significantly smaller than the 325lbs I started out at.

I'm eating about as much as I can get in each day, I've increased my protein and am taking extra protein drinks and bars. I can't add extra carbs as I really don't tolerate them well.

I guess my questions are: how do I move from weightloss to maintenance? Should I be worried about my weight and size? Do we ever stop worrying about some or other aspect of our weight and body?

These are all questions I'll be asking at my next appointment with my surgeon, but I just wanted to ask some questions here as I move into a new phase of the journey.

Hi, I got told to fortify my foods ie bits grated cheese on top of veg or added to soups .... If my weight goes up by a few pounds I cut the fortifying out. I do think u get to a weight and ur body says this it I not losing anymore mines about 112 lb but I'm only 5ft and a fag end. I drink milky coffee to bump up calories ... I also make a bypass friendly no bake cheese cake so I feel as thou I'm having a treat ..... I hope this helps a tad ... Everyone is different xxx

Carbs are generally the first thing to increase but if that's a no go there are other options. Increase fats if you can tolerate them, go back to regular foods rather than low fat, snack on nuts and cheese etc. Start having more slider meals, wet food like shepherds pie, lasagne etc. Increase snacks, 3 meals plus 2-3 snacks per day.

As for your figure, I'm the same with struggling to recognise my size/shape etc. I'm not that much heavier than you (about 10lbs) but I am 4.5 inches taller so you're not smaller than me if that helps. I wear a 10/12 because of skin but am more an 8-10. Have a look at mini's picture chart she posted the other day which has photos of people at each height and weight to give you an idea of what you might look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Youve lost an incredible amount of weight in a relatively short time, and if you are still losing I wonder if you may have malabsorption problems like our Shelbell..

I'd follow the advice above until you can get in to see your team.

Carbs are generally the first thing to increase but if that's a no go there are other options. Increase fats if you can tolerate them, go back to regular foods rather than low fat, snack on nuts and cheese etc. Start having more slider meals, wet food like shepherds pie, lasagne etc. Increase snacks, 3 meals plus 2-3 snacks per day.

As for your figure, I'm the same with struggling to recognise my size/shape etc. I'm not that much heavier than you (about 10lbs) but I am 4.5 inches taller so you're not smaller than me if that helps. I wear a 10/12 because of skin but am more an 8-10. Have a look at mini's picture chart she posted the other day which has photos of people at each height and weight to give you an idea of what you might look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

This picture chart sounds interesting Shelley, where do I find it?

xxx

I agree with all the comments above and in addition would add that if you have lots of excess skin then that would add weight so you may realistically be a lot lighter than the scales say. Im 17 months out and maintaining at 10 stone (i'm 5ft 5). Everyone told me to stop (I would have liked to have got into the 9s) but I realise that if I loose anymore my skin would seriously suffer. I think us older ladies (i'm in my late 40s) don't look good super skinny and it ages us more so I would think the weight you are now (or even a couple of pounds more) would be ok. I find milky coffees keep my weight stable and cheese and peanuts help me keep my calorie intake up. Good luck, you have done brilliantly!

Back