• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Slow weight loss

Tezza

Hi
I am new to this forum but just wanted to know if my weight loss is normal or if there's something wrong?
A had surgery 10th April 2013, I weighed 166kg at the start of pre-op diet and 2 weeks later on the morning of the surgery I weighed 160kg. I now weigh 142kg nearly 3 months later. I feel like its just not coming off. I had a stall at 3 weeks out and never lost any weight for 5 weeks then lost for 2 weeks and again didn't lose for 3 and lost 2 kg this week.
I am doing some exercise but probably not as much as I should as I have a sore knee and get breathless very quickly.
I'm eating around 800-900 calories per day. Breakfast, lunch, & tea and 2 snacks which is a small piece of fruit.
Should I be going back to the dietician/surgeon?
I feel like wls just isn't working for me just like every other diet I have ever tried.

Hi I did answer on my thread, but according me to my calculations you've lost about 40lbs in 3 months? That's pretty fast!

There is a temptation for us and everyone around us to believe that because we have this surgery that the weight is just going to fall off. But it does take time, losing weight is hard even if we have had surgery. I agree with Yvessa, you seem to have lost a good amount of weight. I have no doubt that your team will be delighted with you. There is a certain amount of faith required in this process (I fail at this frequently), you have to try and believe that you can do it.

I was sleeved over 5 months ago and I've "only" lost 60 lbs so far. Granted, my BMI was "only" 38 but it is still a rather slow weight loss rate. But I have the hope that in the end my skin will thank me for it. Here's to hoping ;-)

Hi

If you've lost 18kg since your surgery that's nearly 40lb. I think you're about 7 weeks behind me op date wise so sounds like all's fine. As long as protein is making up most if your calories for muscle strength them I don't think you have anything to worth about xx

Thank you for all your replies. I think I was just thinking the weight would drop off as it has for other people I know. I am sticking to the rules and making sure protein is my priority. I think it's sometimes it's hard when comparing yourself to others on here who seem to have lost so much more.
I'm going to get me positive head back on and be happy with where I am at as without WLS I wouldn't have lost that much

I agree... you're doing brilliantly! Sounds like what you are doing is working really well for you.

We all know surgery is not quick fix and the weight won't come off magically overnight - which is what I keep telling myself every morning ;0)

Last week was the first week that I'd put on weight since the surgery - only 1lb - and I was convinced that the surgery wasn't working for me too, or that I'd stretched my pouch somehow and ruined my chances! It was probably that TOM/water retention rather than something I'd eaten...

I had to remind myself I was 23 stones in January; I'm now in the 18's. I could not have done this without the surgery.

Try looking back at how you were before the surgery - and compare that to now... do you see or feel any differences? Reminding myself of the Little Victories - like turning over in bed easier, climbing the stairs, and not breaking a toilet seat in the last 7 months has certainly helped me...

Just keep plugging away and you'll get there before you know it!

Hi Novamay

Thank you for your reply. I have been thinking more about how I want things to be than thinking about whats changed and your right. In January I was over 28st now I'm just 22st on the dot, I lost a little pre-op and things are so much easier I should remind myself of this more. I think I have just read to many stories of people losing so much a week/month that I thought I was failing or doing something wrong. But I will remind myself of life pre-op when ever I get down again. It's not that I miss any food I ate before as I really don't its just i have higher expectations I think.
Thank you again and good luck with your journey xx

I understand perfectly where you're coming from... I'm often comparing myself with others who were bypassed at the same time and yes, hand on heart, it would have been great to have lost another stone by now. But I know from experience I lose weight slowly (underactive thyroid and PCOS), so I'm really happy with what I've lost so far. My 'like for like' comparisons should be 'me then' and 'me now' - cos I'm not 'like' anyone else! ;0D the mould was broken trying to get me out!

Also, given my history of failure with 'diets' there is always the fear that 'it' will fail (or I will fail) at the back of my mind. I've found the hardest thing about this process is trying to overcome this thinking and just taking it one day at a time and enjoy each step of the journey!

I'm nodding my head in agreement Novamay! It is one of the hardest things, the unpredictability of it all. We all have to remember, everyone is different. I still sometimes look at others at around my start weight, and think "oh no they are over a stone ahead, blah, blah". Have to remind myself that its not a race, lol! For me, this threat of the "window of opportunity" was causing me some anxiety. I kept thinking, that after 6-12 months it would all be over, and it I hadn't hit my target I would just be stuck. But we all know that weight loss is not like that pre op, so why should it be post op. Frankly, I now feel that we make our own opportunities, and my window is going to stay open as long as I keep it open.
Just noticed we had our ops the same day!

I'm nodding my head in agreement Novamay! It is one of the hardest things, the unpredictability of it all. We all have to remember, everyone is different. I still sometimes look at others at around my start weight, and think "oh no they are over a stone ahead, blah, blah". Have to remind myself that its not a race, lol! For me, this threat of the "window of opportunity" was causing me some anxiety. I kept thinking, that after 6-12 months it would all be over, and it I hadn't hit my target I would just be stuck. But we all know that weight loss is not like that pre op, so why should it be post op. Frankly, I now feel that we make our own opportunities, and my window is going to stay open as long as I keep it open.
Just noticed we had our ops the same day!

I've been told about THE window too and it still freaks me out a little but you're right - more calories out than in should still produce weight loss - even after THE window. Thanks for reminding me.

Back