• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

so poorly last night

jaynefrances

I had an episode of what my consultant describes as "biliary colic" last night and it lasted from midnight to 3am.
It feels exactly like the attacks i used to get from gall stones, but they removed my gall bladder during my bypass.
This is my third attack since my op and it was by far the worse one yet, worse even than any i had when i still had my gallbladder.
When i saw my GP after the first one he said it could be a stone that was left behind in the duct being passed, but now its happened 3 times i'm wondering whats going on. Its really painful and scary when it happens.

I have an appointment with my GP in the morning so will chat to him about it but i was wondering if anyone else had problems after having their gall bladder removed ?

Hi Jayne, sorry to hear you are having these attacks, hope you soon feel better xxxxx

Jayne I had the same thing about 1 month after having my gall bladder out and it was horrendous.

In the end I had to go into hospital as they didnt know what is was, this was about 25 years ago, they put me on a saline drip and I wasnt allowed to eat for 5 days, the good news was I lost loads of weight. The pain stopped after 3 days and I was then allowed home and it never returned again.

I hope you get it sorted soon, at least medicine has moved on since the olden days. Big hugs cause I know what the pain was like.

It is possible that a stone could have been trapped in the bile ducts and it wasnt removed during the surgery.

A common way of removing these left behind stones is with something called an ERCP (cant remember what that stands for - sorry!) but its basically a camera down the throat which goes right down as far as the bile ducts. As bypassers though we cant have that so if there is a stone stuck they would either have to hope it would pass and give you pain relief to help you cope, or to operate again.

Im having my gallbladder out tomorrow and Im hoping I get a chance to talk to him prior to surgery, as I am worried about a stone being left behind,because of the ERCP thing, and also anxious to make sure that they dont automatically do an ERCP without taking my bypass into consideration.

You have my deepest sympathies as some of the recent attacks I have experienced have been agony. Hope you dont have any repeat performances.

Hope you feel better soon.
Sending gentle healing hugs your way.

Good luck with the Gp today xx

Jayne
So sorry to hear you've been in such pain-it sounds very similar t o what Carole-"hopelesscase" was going through a while back-on her thread "I'm in agony"
Hope your GP has some ideas & help for the pain

I had this after my gall bladder was removed in 2004. I would have occasional attacks for about 6 months afterward. I couldn't have any trapped stones as they had to remove my bile duct and part of my liver due to stones being backed up so far. I did have the camera down the throat to look into it all but nothing was there. Miraculously it all stopped one day and never has happened again.

Blimey Jayne, you really are going through the ringer aren't you? I hope the GP can suggest something for you, you know where I am if you want to have a moan! Take Care

Lesley

Sorry to hear you're having problems Jayne and hope you manage to get it sorted out soon xx

A common way of removing these left behind stones is with something called an ERCP (cant remember what that stands for - sorry!) but its basically a camera down the throat which goes right down as far as the bile ducts. As bypassers though we cant have that so if there is a stone stuck they would either have to hope it would pass and give you pain relief to help you cope, or to operate again.

Hi hun, do you know the reason why we can't have ERCP after a bypass?

Good luck tomorrow for your gallbladder op xx

Sorry to hear you're having problems Jayne and hope you manage to get it sorted out soon xx

Hi hun, do you know the reason why we can't have ERCP after a bypass?

Good luck tomorrow for your gallbladder op xx

Because they have to go through the bottom half of the tum into the duodenum (spelling?). Although we still have the bottom half of our tummies its separated from out pouch and so not possible to get into it down the throat. Hope that makes sense.

Because they have to go through the bottom half of the tum into the duodenum (spelling?). Although we still have the bottom half of our tummies its separated from out pouch and so not possible to get into it down the throat. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks, yes I understand now. I've still not looked at exactly how we are re-plumbed, so I guess I should do that pronto lol

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Saw the GP this morning who said my abdomen is tender and inflamed around the bile duct area. he says it could be a stone stuck in the duct or scar tissue that is blocking the duct and has requested an ultrasound. He said this may not pick anything up as they are not always able to detect small stone and scarring and it could be something very tiny causing the problem. If nothing shows up i will have to have the MRI my consultant has suggested.
GP mentioned the test involving the camera into the stomach injecting the dye into the bile duct, but i pointed out to him that my consultant says we can't have this done due to the lack of stomach, hence his suggestion of an MRI. GP is learning at the same time as me lol !
I'm hoping that it is something that will right itself as i can't face another operation. Fingers crossed x x

Did you ever get an answer to this problem to this Jayne? I'm still suffering with this pain at least once a month!!! I have been trying to narrow down suspects- I have never suffered with gall stones and can't find any other pattern ( thought it was maybe the bubbles in my beloved Bacardi and coke) but woke up again with it last night and hadn't touched a drop, honest!!!

Please let us know how you are doing and good luck to you too Tracy hope you soon get this sorted out.

Thinking of you, love and hugs xxx

Back