• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Started C25K Programme Today

Bellydancer57

Just started my Couch to 5k programme today. easy walking/running programme (see NHS or other websites) to get you from couch to running 5 k. Did my warm up & warm down routine too but feeling quite achey. I do 3 water workouts a week so was surprised I feel like this. Guess different type of work out using different muscles. Had my protein drink too but feel light headed.
Anyone else on this programme?

Well done!

Not me, Bellydancer, a bit too early for me yet (I still have bad osteo arthritis in my knees and hips and no sign of that improving yet despite weight lost so far).

However, I remember that at least one other WLS person did start the C25K programme a few months back and have just found the thread:

It was Miss Tickle:
http://www.wlsurgery.com/fitness-exercise/143133-couch-5k-anybody-c25k.html

Thx a million will take a look. Hope you're are not in too much pain with your problems.

will follow your progress with interest as this is something planned I hope for my future . . .when I get to that point :)

Oooooh this sounds interesting!
Ive agreed to run the Manchester marathon in April 2014 so really need to think about some good training.

Programme is downloadable as podcasts on NHS website via iTunes. as you play it it tells you when to run & walk & when to stop with some music so all you do is follow the instructions. Gotta say my gluteus maximus is killing me despite doing a warm down & stretching. Rest day tomorrow thankfully LOL

I really fancy doing this, but at 22st I think I need to lose a bit more before running without doing myself a mischief... Will follow your progress with interest though.
Xx

Hi Sarah - I'm in the 21s - you may be surprised at what your body can do - I was terrified of getting on my bike but it was amazing being on it.

BD, do you reckon that you could use the c25k on a bike? IE easy peddling, harder peddling?

You know that sounds like a good idea. Listen to the podcasts on the NHS website via iTunes & see if it works. Let us know. Oooh my bum still aching LOL

Hi there. Thanks for the tip, will download from NHS site. I've started n my treadmill (day 8). I'm doing 3k a day and from 0.5k to 2.5k I am jogging 100 yards every 3rd minute. Only 6 workouts done and already I am feeling stronger. It took me 54 minutes to walk/jog complete last night but I burnt 400 calories in the process. My butt aches as much as my legs! Keep us informed how you get on. Tracey xxx

Well I have styled with week 1 & repeated it as family issues prevented me doing it every other day for 3 days. Now have completed week 1 again according to plan. Found it quite hard to be honest as dispite the wrm up & warm down & stretches at he end my lower back, ight hip & leg really gives me pain. This is we're I had my chronic back problem. Not feeling very confident going on to week 2 of the programme. I will give it a try on Sunday but may just briskly walk it. Maybe I'm bing too ambitious & need to loose more weight. That aside my water workout teacher does a deep water workout with flotation belts. She asked me if I want to join. Yippeeee I can now the flotation belt will fit me LOL x

Sorry for spelling mistakes iPad & fingers out of control!

I have to download these. Although - I sprinted next to my daughter on her bike and beat her down the hill! Am just loving the mobility - but am very mindful that I have a tendancy to go overboard. Just trying to move more as until I get back to work routine is unlikely to happen.

Also BD, I had planned to give myself 3 weeks on each stage as they don't take into account the injury risk of those of us who are/have been seriously overweight. We can't undo the damage to our joints.

I think I would really like to do this but am gonna wait til I am under 20 stone. Like you Yveasa I have problems with my joints, knees and hips specifically. So don't want to make it worse at this stage.

To be honest Sarah, when I say I had joint pains I was still teaching full time at 30 stone so my mobility does not seem to be as impaired as some of you guys. I think that's part of the reason that I already have so much of my mobility back. That and the fact that I'm a nutter for trying to do things too quick :)

Also cycling and swimming are the best for joint pains - or so my doc tells me ;)

Agree & I have had no problems with my swimming & water workouts. Not got a cycle (yet) have a bit of a fear of them down here in London its such a zoo out there. Tried gym cycle but find it a bit boring. My women's institute has a spin off group for cyclists 'The Raidiant Riders' lots of cool chicks with their bikes who meet up for specific fun rides. Need to pluck up courage to join.

I have actually started swimming everyday, and it does help, not tried cycling but there's an old bike in the garage I might dig out and try. My mobility wasn't too bad I still managed to work and walk about but my job involved sitting for the best part of the day so sometimes I would get up and not be able to move my hips, once I got going I was ok, so I try and walk now as well.
X

Back