• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Traveling after surgery

kevinireland

Hi all I'm having my band fitted on the 14of Feb and cant wait. i only have one concern and was wondering if anyone else could share there experience. I'm going to Belgium for my op , i have to travel about 4hours to the airport here in Ireland and I'm quite worried about when i come home if ill be fit for the journey. i go on Sunday the 13th have my op on the 14th and be discharged and fly home on the 15th. Any advice would be great thanks.

Hi all I'm having my band fitted on the 14of Feb and cant wait. i only have one concern and was wondering if anyone else could share there experience. I'm going to Belgium for my op , i have to travel about 4hours to the airport here in Ireland and I'm quite worried about when i come home if ill be fit for the journey. i go on Sunday the 13th have my op on the 14th and be discharged and fly home on the 15th. Any advice would be great thanks.

Hey there Kevin, Are you being driven home from the airport on the way back??? I would really advise against driving yourself ( thats if u r hun) Julie xx

Normally hospitals require you to have someone with you when you are discharged and the anaesthetic can still be in your system.

I know that I would not have been discharged without having someone to take me home.

But then I had it done here on NHS.

You will be very uncomfortable after the operation, there is no getting past that one.

I only had a 45 minute drive but that was bad enough, as bending to sit and getting up were very difficult in the early days.

TBH I would never go down the route you are, as if there are complications, you will have no one there to help you.

I wish you luck but I don't envy your journey.

Yeah my wife will be there with me all the way . And my Dad will will be driving. I would love to get my surgery in the UK but my budget is £5000.

Hi Kevin,

I had my op abroad also, and i had to depart from Stanstead airport - i live in Devon and it takes 5 hours to get to Stanstead. My parents drove me there and back, on the way home i was comfortable enough and just listened to my ipod. All was going fine until we got about an hour away and our car broke down, we had to wait an hour for the break down guy to come and then he didnt know the way and it took us 2 hours to get home. I was literally falling asleep in the pick up truck, but couldnt go asleep as the seat belt didnt fit around my swollen stomach and if i didnt hold on i would have flown through the front window!! lol - its funny when i think of it now, but at the time i was practically in tears just wanting to get home.

I think if your car is up to date with its checks and wont break down you will be fine. xxxx

Very glad to hear you wont be alone - phew :)

In that case, I revoke my earlier worries and wish you all the luck in the world :)

Hi kevin

I am in N.Ireland and had to fly to england for my op a few wks ago. You can request special assistance from ur airline. U will need ur discharge letter at the checkin desk if u r getting special assistance. The airline will then arrange to get u to the aircraft (if there are steps they will use lift to get u up and the same when u get back to ireland. This is well worth investigating. if u need any more info let me know

Hope all goes well

Back