• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

When is the Bypass Honeymoon over??

Caroline101061

Hi Everyone,

Two days before surgery and Im having a few last minute scaries!

Can any of you Bypass folk out there tell me at what point did your 'honeymoon period' end? You know - when you start realising that you can eat more food and a greater variety of it and it all starts to get monotonous and a chore - or does this not happen? I have been reading this book called the Emotional First Aid Kit and its scared me!

Great question! I am only 13 days post-bypass so am far too early in the journey to give a meaningful response. But there are lots on here who can.

I am currently on a 28 day free fluids only diet and already long for something to chew. I have a chewable vitamin to look forward to every lunch time. lol!

Then I Have 4 weeks of 'sloppies' where I can start to introduce some texture.

From week 9 onwards, the dietary advice booklet the hospital gave me says:

'You should gradually resume a more normal diet (healthy eating). You may find that it will take some time to be fully established onto solid foods but be patient, it can take up to a year and a half to be fully established onto solid foods.

You may not require as many snacks between your meals as before, so start to reduce them. If you do feel hungry, try to have fruit instead.'

Last edited:
Hi
I am not a loser till saturday !! however from what I have read the honeymoon period appears to be about 6 months or so - that is the time they say to maximise your loss - dont kow yet but that is what I have read !!! I would think a but more variety n texture and taste is a nice thing - still we will both find out soon !!

thanks for replying ladies - Ive got a hypnotherapist lined up for when the cravings kick in which I hope are never LOL. And all those people who say this is a quick fix - they should read these posts. Good luck for Saturday Starry - see you on the other side - the slimmer side!

Hi
I am not a loser till saturday !! however from what I have read the honeymoon period appears to be about 6 months or so - that is the time they say to maximise your loss - dont kow yet but that is what I have read !!! I would think a but more variety n texture and taste is a nice thing - still we will both find out soon !!

The first 6 months were quoted to me by my bariatric team as the best window of opportunity not only for weight loss but for making a concerted effort to kick the bad eating habits I had learned and adopted over the years.

I was very lucky to see a bariatric psychologist pre-op and he said that the most dangerous time for a bypasser is 3-4 years doen the line when the weight loss has slowed or even stopped and then the bad habits (or the old demons) can start calling again.

Last edited:
thanks for replying ladies - Ive got a hypnotherapist lined up for when the cravings kick in which I hope are never LOL. And all those people who say this is a quick fix - they should read these posts. Good luck for Saturday Starry - see you on the other side - the slimmer side!

I am not normally moved to violence, but anyone within my earshot who says this is a quick fix is in grave danger of losing their teeth. Then let's see them them chew a steak! lol!

All the best for Saturday, Starry x

4/5 years eh? I should live that long LOL! My boss just asked me if I managed to stay off the Easter Eggs! This preop diet is driving me mad - Im so bored! Still not long now

hiya carloine was thinking about u last night ... hope everything goes well for you hun .. im at the support group session on thurs at the whittington .. i will as kirsten how your doing ,,

will be thinking about you hun .. good luck .. xxxx

4/5 years eh? I should live that long LOL! My boss just asked me if I managed to stay off the Easter Eggs! This preop diet is driving me mad - Im so bored! Still not long now

You can do it. It's a small period of time versus the rest of your (potentially extended) life! :hug99:

Cheers Brett (was thinking about you too - not long for you either) and Brunette Aldred - I know I can do it and Im excited and nervous. My family are being wonderful and the friends I've told are being so supportive - my only problem now is how to afford that pair of Gucci over the knee boots that I am going to buy myself as a reward/incentive! Anyone want to lend me £995 (joke!)

I am 5+ months out now and I have seen a small slow down in my weight loss (from a 3-4lbs per week to 2lbs). I do have the occasional craving for food I used to love but the fear of dumping is still too strong for me to indulge too much. As others have said, a little of what you fancy usually does the trick when cravings come. Always in moderation though and not all the time.

I know I need to now up my exercise so that I can boost my weight loss, however I have already reached the 70% loss of my excess weight mark so I think I have made the most of my first 6 months!

Good luck for your surgery!

Nic:p

if this is what a honeymoon feels like im getting married. Im 5months poat bypass and it feels better everyday.
Although i have tried most foods now it amaises me how things can vary from day to day. no 2 days are alike and long may it continue.
hc

Am 9 months post op and still feel great. Up until I found out I was pregnant I was still losing weight, am now having to work to maintain it.

I don't feel like I'm on a diet, I don't feel restricted, I never have! If I want something, I have it.

The first 6 months is faster, but Red is right, you have to sort out your eating problems in that time as well. Otherwise, when you get to the post 6 month slow down, it becomes a post 6 month stop.

Hiya im 18 mths out now and i would say i lost all i needed to in the first 7 1/2 mths (just over 9 stone) . I guess my honeymoon is over in that a few naughty habits have crept in but i weigh myself twice a week and keep check on those pounds its easier to pull back a couple of pounds than stone . I will always have to keep an eye on my weight and my bypass still helps i still have restriction and still feel queasy if i overdo sweet stuff.
Don't panic if you stick to the rules you will be fine and as for your weightloss it doesnt stop completely i go back and forth the same 1/2 a stone lol . Before my bypass i was back and forth with the same 5 stone lol !
Good luck and hope i have helped .
luv Jules xxx

Guys, you have all been fantastic in your responses - Im very surprised that after a time you are able to eat sweet things cause Ive always been told that you can NEVER eat chocolate or the like again. Still, its good to know when the danger times are likely to begin.

Caroline, good luck for Thursday. Debs

I am now 3 months post op and am eating more then i could straight after the op, i wont say i feel hungery but do have the ocassional food craving, and i know i will eat/pick if emotional so thats one i will always have to watch. i have lost 19% of my body weight in that time and hopefully it wont slow down for a while yet

Back