• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why don't Long Termer's stay around ?

All I can suggest is that we start trying to continue what ccpm started.

I also know how you feel. Nothing I extensively researched prepared me for reality, and reality sucks. Malabsorption and malnutrition aren't funny.

I have lost the effort to reply to some posts that cheat pre-op, post-op and not do as their team tell them, there's even one today.

The honeymoon period is over all too quickly and then the real work begins.

I miss Karlos as well, tough love was what I needed sometimes and many people should get when their not being loved-up by 'yes you've had 24 pints, but you'll be fine comments'.

I also know how you feel. Nothing I extensively researched prepared me for reality, and reality sucks. Malabsorption and malnutrition aren't funny. I have lost the effort to reply to some posts that cheat pre-op, post-op and not do as their team tell them, there's even one today. The honeymoon period is over all too quickly and then the real work begins. I miss Karlos as well, tough love was what I needed sometimes and many people should get when their not being loved-up by 'yes you've had 24 pints, but you'll be fine comments'.

I thought I'd researched well jemima almost 2 years! Mostly over on the USA sites as they are more experienced,as the bypass is rife over there,as you say reality sucks once that nice period is over.
Like I said previously I think I maybe having a bad day..my stomach issues are playing up again,and I know there's nothing that can help me.
I've had all the tests done,it's like the doc says "part and parcel" of stomach surgery and the risks with messing around with your insides.
And also I've been extremely tired again...this iron business hasn't sorted out and I think I may have missed my B12 inject by accident..I tell you if you don't ask at docs about checking vitamin levels,they won't routinely do it.

How?
I don't mean to sound rude to anyone but wasn't it aimed more at long termers ?
I really miss ccpm she was full of knowledge!
I know, but I can't think of anything else. i don't really know what to suggest.

Hello everyone

I have not posted for a long time. My journey has been eventful to say the least. I came back and started reading a few weeks ago. I have been reluctant to post as I really didn't want to come across as the harbinger of doom relaying all the things that have gone wrong. This is a great site. It helped me so much and I hope it will continue to assist me as I move through the next stage of my journey. I was scheduled to have a bypass and had my op in November 2010. I went into theatre expecting a bypass and woke up with a band. I swallowed the explanation given to me as to what had happened and did my best. I have endured a whole host of problems to the point I thought I was going to die - literally. I walked away from the site at that point and gave up. Then after a break to gather myself I went on a quiet offensive with the hospital and my CCG and have now- after a two and half year fight - been put on the '18 week:rolleyes:'waiting list for the band to be removed and for a sleeve. All the weight I lost with the band has more or less been put back on as I had to have it emptied completely because of all the health issues I was having. I am angry beyond words I can express with the hospital who did my op. The fact they are funding my future care speaks volumes. However I am grateful because I have a second chance despite the fact that I was left in this position through no fault of mine.

*waves to emma-louise* You have done so well - congratulations. As to why old timers do not post. There could be any number of reasons. Life goes on. It can take up so much time to be a regular contributor to a site. I spent hours and hours on here. It was a big and important part of my life. I do not know how I would have got through without it. Just because the band did not work for me does not mean I feel bitter or twisted about it. I have a deep admiration for anyone who goes through the trauma of any kind of surgery. We all have our reasons for doing it and everyone of those reasons should be respected. Whether you are lucky enough to get it on the NHS or sacrifice your hard earned cash and go private - it does not matter. The common thing is that we all want to get our lives back. There is hardly anyone on here I recognise but that does not matter. The advice and observations are valuable to anyone embarking on what can be a long an arduous journey. Thanks to the wonders of the internet we can tap into the advice of those like CCPM who have gone before us but took the time to record how it was for them. I will not contribute as much as I did before but I will enjoy reading how everyone else is doing and taking notes;).

Sorry for the long post. Good luck everyone whether you are post op or on the losers bench:).

Tranquil x

Hello everyone I have not posted for a long time. My journey has been eventful to say the least. I came back and started reading a few weeks ago. I have been reluctant to post as I really didn't want to come across as the harbinger of doom relaying all the things that have gone wrong. This is a great site. It helped me so much and I hope it will continue to assist me as I move through the next stage of my journey. I was scheduled to have a bypass and had my op in November 2010. I went into theatre expecting a bypass and woke up with a band. I swallowed the explanation given to me as to what had happened and did my best. I have endured a whole host of problems to the point I thought I was going to die - literally. I walked away from the site at that point and gave up. Then after a break to gather myself I went on a quiet offensive with the hospital and my CCG and have now- after a two and half year fight - been put on the '18 week:rolleyes:'waiting list for the band to be removed and for a sleeve. All the weight I lost with the band has more or less been put back on as I had to have it emptied completely because of all the health issues I was having. I am angry beyond words I can express with the hospital who did my op. The fact they are funding my future care speaks volumes. However I am grateful because I have a second chance despite the fact that I was left in this position through no fault of mine. *waves to emma-louise* You have done so well - congratulations. As to why old timers do not post. There could be any number of reasons. Life goes on. It can take up so much time to be a regular contributor to a site. I spent hours and hours on here. It was a big and important part of my life. I do not know how I would have got through without it. Just because the band did not work for me does not mean I feel bitter or twisted about it. I have a deep admiration for anyone who goes through the trauma of any kind of surgery. We all have our reasons for doing it and everyone of those reasons should be respected. Whether you are lucky enough to get it on the NHS or sacrifice your hard earned cash and go private - it does not matter. The common thing is that we all want to get our lives back. There is hardly anyone on here I recognise but that does not matter. The advice and observations are valuable to anyone embarking on what can be a long an arduous journey. Thanks to the wonders of the internet we can tap into the advice of those like CCPM who have gone before us but took the time to record how it was for them. I will not contribute as much as I did before but I will enjoy reading how everyone else is doing and taking notes;). Sorry for the long post. Good luck everyone whether you are post op or on the losers bench:). Tranquil x[/QUO

Hi tranquil,

I remember you...I'm sorry things have been tough for you,let's hope you get your sleeve very soon.
I don't post as much as I used to these days,as you also mentioned I don't want to always be doom and gloom.
As I've had a few issues myself,so you tend not to post as I don't want to sound ungrateful for my bypass.
If you read my posts very early on...everything was great in the world..lol
They still are..but I get my bad days x
Anyway without this bypass I wouldn't have my HUGE dress collection,it's costing me a fortune!
I think it's a novelty(even though I'm nearly 4 yrs post op)...and my maxi dresses are sz10 (I might add..lol)
I think I'm still having issues that it's ME in that mirror looking back at me...it's strange after all this time I still feel like that.
Anyway good luck tranquil it's been lovely to hear from you xxx

Hi emma-louise. I am so glad you started this thread. I wanted to post something again but didn't know if I should. You have done fantastically well. Surgery is not the cure all - but it goes a long way:D. Glad you are enjoying clothes shopping - size 10 too wow.

I will try and post a bit when I know more about what is going to happen. Although I am on the waiting list for surgery I Just know from past experience with the hospital it is going to be a long haul. I was told that I would probably have to have the procedure done in two stages - band removal and then the sleeve 6 to 8 weeks later - so we shall see.

One thing I have learned is patience:D.

Tranquil x

I just wanted to say a huge thank you to all of you old timers who have been so supportive and a wealth of information to this point of my journey, I love that I can get real advice, no rose tinted glasses on this site and support and encouragement when I need it. You are all inspirational and if I'm doing half as well as all of you in another year or so I'll know I've succeeded. THANK YOU! X

Hi emma-louise. I am so glad you started this thread. I wanted to post something again but didn't know if I should. You have done fantastically well. Surgery is not the cure all - but it goes a long way:D. Glad you are enjoying clothes shopping - size 10 too wow. I will try and post a bit when I know more about what is going to happen. Although I am on the waiting list for surgery I Just know from past experience with the hospital it is going to be a long haul. I was told that I would probably have to have the procedure done in two stages - band removal and then the sleeve 6 to 8 weeks later - so we shall see. One thing I have learned is patience:D. Tranquil x

I'm glad you've posted..

It it worth just to keep nagging and ringing the secretary's etc to make sure it's kept within the time scales.
I know if I hadn't kept on ringing etc I would have waited far longer,as the referal papers went missing etc.
Patience is better in the bigger picture...hard I know x
To same as people expect the weightloss to disappear quickly..and it doesn't also happen like that.
I was a slow looser,and I'm only luckily to be fitting in 10 dresses due to the generous maxi material..lol
I'm more of a size 12/14,but I'm happy.
I always wondered how others have coped and if there maintaining ok..do you remember phatgirl? Or simplylucy?
There was quite a few I'd love to hear from x

Hi

2009 opper here, so five years out. Yes I had a band and yes I'm a moderator but I feel all the things you do too.

Hi TB :wavey: xx

HI Emma your tummy issues flaring up gain eh? Mine has been playing up to. I have had a few days of buscopan over the last fortnight not full days but hitty missy when I need them. My life would be impossible without them. I am sitting at an 18-20 but came from 32-34 so still marvellous but am aware that people who see an ask wonder why I am still big and am the size that some folks start weight loss journey at. I am happy but mad at myself as it has slid on. I am trying all the tricks, more water, less carbs more protein keeping on with fruit n veg, still with my little plate cut out the crap. Walking and dancing are my exercise as my knee gets really painful doing most other things. It is bad after a night of dancing but I live dancing. We have a wedding this weekend my friend son is getting married. I won't be the biggest one there and I wasn't the biggest one on the hen party either which is a 1st for me. Lif has improved so much since the op really I am still afraid of going back from where I have come, I am trying to keep the choices healthy and am eating more fish, mackerel and pilchards etc protein wise. I still think my teeth are suffering even though dentist says not from the op. I regularly have my B12 but never get offered my blood taken I had to ask last time because I was feeling tired and a little run down but everything was normal. The doctors are really not clue dup on it at all. I have met 3 people 2 nurses and one locum doctor who have done a study/thesis on bariatric surgery and have asked me lot sof questions when I have gone to the surgery. One also thought I was the best success story she had seen and heard from around where I live. I look a little smaller than my size have always been clever with clothes. But my head see fat fat fat. The weight I have put on I can see on my thunder thighs and a little on the ledge that is now my bum. Keep it going lovoing this thread I can remember when we tried to keep it going last time then it just went dead. So that is our challenge to keep on talking xx

HI Emma your tummy issues flaring up gain eh? Mine has been playing up to. I have had a few days of buscopan over the last fortnight not full days but hitty missy when I need them. My life would be impossible without them. I am sitting at an 18-20 but came from 32-34 so still marvellous but am aware that people who see an ask wonder why I am still big and am the size that some folks start weight loss journey at. I am happy but mad at myself as it has slid on. I am trying all the tricks, more water, less carbs more protein keeping on with fruit n veg, still with my little plate cut out the crap. Walking and dancing are my exercise as my knee gets really painful doing most other things. It is bad after a night of dancing but I live dancing. We have a wedding this weekend my friend son is getting married. I won't be the biggest one there and I wasn't the biggest one on the hen party either which is a 1st for me. Lif has improved so much since the op really I am still afraid of going back from where I have come, I am trying to keep the choices healthy and am eating more fish, mackerel and pilchards etc protein wise. I still think my teeth are suffering even though dentist says not from the op. I regularly have my B12 but never get offered my blood taken I had to ask last time because I was feeling tired and a little run down but everything was normal. The doctors are really not clue dup on it at all. I have met 3 people 2 nurses and one locum doctor who have done a study/thesis on bariatric surgery and have asked me lot sof questions when I have gone to the surgery. One also thought I was the best success story she had seen and heard from around where I live. I look a little smaller than my size have always been clever with clothes. But my head see fat fat fat. The weight I have put on I can see on my thunder thighs and a little on the ledge that is now my bum. Keep it going lovoing this thread I can remember when we tried to keep it going last time then it just went dead. So that is our challenge to keep on talking xx

Hi there Chrisa,

I'm not being a meany but it's the same kind of posts all the time...I've had this op done to stop me being obsessive about weighing and food.
I'm still in size 12/14 clothes..even though I gained a few pounds,I tryed cutting back again.
But due to stress I wasn't putting all effort into it.
I see it as this now...if my clothes feel tight I cut back,I ain't being ruled by those scales.
I hardly bloody eat as it is,as I've got loads of foods that get stuck,so I stay away from them.
I still have a treat,drink but all in moderation...we got to live(that's ypur saying..lol)
Tummy is playing up again...I've got back on buscopan,and medicine.
I'm still taking lanzaropsole x2 a day,and when I don't take my tummy starts.
I still am convinced my bowels twist on bending and causes wind build up,therefore the agony I get with this is worse than labour!..the doctors have had camera etc down there...nothing.
Which I'm glad about but I still suffer...my local gp says it's a natural occurrence after bowel/stomach surgery,as we have scar tissue that can cause problems.
I've just got to live with it and along with deficiencies it sometimes makes me worry.
Like I mentioned to yvessa it feels like I've swapped my fat problems with a new fresh set of problems.
If your in a size 18/20 with the start size you was your doing great!
My size was 24/26...are u still struggling snacking at work?
Nice to chat again x

NOT snacking too much at work trying to be good. Have ryvita and melba toast. Always have fruit with me. My tummy is hurting now am waiting to go out to a friends leaving do I have just jad some buscopan I like you feel its my bowel twisting and creating wind when I bend over. Very similar to me. Yeah I try not to get on scale svery often I do not want to go back to being obsessive that's why I can't face going back to ww. It has to be all the time or nothing if its all the time its normal. These slimming clubs for me do work but only for a short while. It has to be permanent our ops are. xx LOvely chatting though and helps knowing that someone else is going through what we are xx

Hi all

I suppose I am a long termer now.....but still learning daily! I am a lurker/reader on here now. I stopped giving out advice a while ago now. I was offering advice to a pre opper (not on here but on a Facebook support group) who promptly told me I had no right to offer advice to her as I hadnt got my BMI down to an 'acceptable' level??? :sigh: That put me off big time!!

I have also noted that there are a lot of newbies with the notion that these operations are the 'cure' and the weight is 'gone forever!' I hate to be the bearer of bad news, so keep my mouth shut :eek: maybe I am a cynical old gal :D

I'm a sep 13 band to bypass and lurk most days to keep me grounded. I'm also not interested in the cheating and being nice! It's bloody hard but I'm fighting. See my other post from today!

Hi all

I suppose I am a long termer now.....but still learning daily! I am a lurker/reader on here now. I stopped giving out advice a while ago now. I was offering advice to a pre opper (not on here but on a Facebook support group) who promptly told me I had no right to offer advice to her as I hadnt got my BMI down to an 'acceptable' level??? :sigh: That put me off big time!!

I have also noted that there are a lot of newbies with the notion that these operations are the 'cure' and the weight is 'gone forever!' I hate to be the bearer of bad news, so keep my mouth shut :eek: maybe I am a cynical old gal :D
Oh my gosh! That person should be slapped silly! What do you want to bet that they're learning those lessons the hard way now??

I had to have a colonoscopy and endoscopy yesterday after having an emergency referral for tests for bowel cancer (hence having been such a grumpy pig for the past few 8 weeks or so - 3 weeks of feeling rough, 2 weeks wait to see consultant & 2 weeks wait for these tests). Thankfully I got the all clear straight after - sounds like 4 individual issues that all coincidentally flared up at exactly the same time but potentially could have all been symptoms of the same thing.

BUT one thing the chappy did comment on was how skilfully done my bypass was, that it was the neatest and most precise job he has ever seen and he is not surprised that I have had no trouble with the bypass whatsoever (and also showed me the pictures they took that showed where the new join is with no scarring, marks or anything).

So anyone being done by Mr Ahmed at Derby can be comforted by knowing he does a marvellous job and I've seen the pictures to prove it :)

That's amazing Lincs lass, goods for you seeing th epics, bet that was fab. What symptoms have you been having. I know both myself and Emma Louise suffer from pain and bowel problems thye put mine down to bowel colic, canbe very painful, I also have a rectocil but not big enough for repair not that I would push my self forward for that like and recently thought I had a vaginal prolapse with all the straining, as stuff build up in the rectocil rather than coming out. I get days where I have no pain then go through a spate where I need buscopan every day cos a bad episode leaves my inside feeling battered and bruised. Think Emma has suffered much more than I and mine is bad enough mine is usually all on the left handside of my body. The other day it started after a Weetabix and banana for my breakfast so knew it wasn tdown to food. Who knows just have to be armed with buscopan as and when it occurs. Really pleased you have had the all clear. x

Back