• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Why don't Long Termer's stay around ?

I think for me it's just that life has become so much more busy. I agree though, long termers should really come on more often, and I will try to be on here more. I just think when we get more energy, browsing forums take a back seat. Nothing personal.

I'm glad people are talking on this thread...it's made me feel people do think the same as me.
It would be sad if the whole site was just about newbies...as it does feel like that at times.

So glad you have the all clear sue ..fantastic news :)
I suffered IBS and diverticulitis pre op so for me there is no change in that dept however as a result of the bypass I do suffer steatorrhea a lot of the time with constipation in-between. There is no normality in that dept. I kind of hoped it would settle as time went by but I have to come to terms to the idea that this is me for life now. Simply cutting out all fat isn't the answer as that's almost impossible but I have to keep such a close eye on my intake. Just a smidgen too much can tip me over the edge making the following two days insufferable. It's early days but I can live with it and I still love my bypass .. How I feel five or ten years down the line may be a whole different ball game.

Maybe the site just 'feels' like its full of newbies because after all its the newbies that are in search of help with this huge step in their lives. I for one was one of those newbies not so long ago, just like the rest of you guys, and i'm guessing we were all newbies in search of answers and help before we embarked on this massive journey :) Also i think as time goes by the need to be continually here passes, and after all a new life is out there waiting for us as we tread this path ...... As a relative newbie i have been thankful of all the help i have gained from this site and have been very grateful of the friendships i have found too.
I speak for myself here, in the past maybe i have not replied to threads from you 'old timers' and my main reason is what can i possibly say to folk more experienced than me..... so my post have been mainly to newbies coming onto the path i have already walked, and a subject that i now feel 'qualified' to speak about............. Everyone speaks of the 'same old threads' lol and yes once you've been there and done it, these threads may seem same old BUT to someone out there its important, even a cry for help, i think everyone deserves to be heard.
My motto is if i have nothing nice to say then don't say it, tough love isn't for everyone.
I love this site, it has been invaluable for me, it has helped me grow too as a person.............. not sure where i would be without it, reading the inspirational stories have been mind blowing and have spent many many many hours searching old threads for insight :) so to all you long termers out there, i thank you for that. But i feel we also need to be more accepting of the newbies too, we are like toddlers just finding our feet, we may do silly things or ask silly questions but isn't that part of the huge learning curve we are all on??

I don't think we particularly have an issue with the questions, rather we get bored of answering them. And we do still answer them but oddly it annoys us when we then receive rudeness back.

I've been away a while as I seem to have been burying all my elderly relatives. Sadly all gone now. I read occasionally but it is very difficult to find long termers to stay and talk. I still feel very isolated and lost. 5 years out my weight is fine but its no different to what it was like before wls for me now. Weight goes on, I diet, off it comes. My head is not, and I doubt ever will be mended. Gone for ever don't ever let me hear anyone say that as if you have the magic solution with your surgery, believe me its a tool and it needs darned hard work to maintain it, weight will be back in a moment if you aren't vigilant and sometimes I am so very tired of that. Mainly I'm OK and very pleased but just sometimes I need help and feel nowhere to turn.

I've been away a while as I seem to have been burying all my elderly relatives. Sadly all gone now. I read occasionally but it is very difficult to find long termers to stay and talk. I still feel very isolated and lost. 5 years out my weight is fine but its no different to what it was like before wls for me now. Weight goes on, I diet, off it comes. My head is not, and I doubt ever will be mended. Gone for ever don't ever let me hear anyone say that as if you have the magic solution with your surgery, believe me its a tool and it needs darned hard work to maintain it, weight will be back in a moment if you aren't vigilant and sometimes I am so very tired of that. Mainly I'm OK and very pleased but just sometimes I need help and feel nowhere to turn.

Hello CCPM :hug99: . I always love reading your posts because you always do tell it as it is. I am sorry about the loss of your loved ones. I also feel sorry about feeling you have nowhere to turn. I do not have an answer for that. It is however lovely to see you posting - you know you are amongst friends here even though we do not know you personally. I hope you feel able to pop back now and again. I learned so much from reading your posts.

Tranquil x

Sorry for the loss of your loved ones x

At five years out myself - I hear you ;)

Great to hear from you CCPM. Always have something interesting to say. Sadly as we get older that what we have to deal with burying loved ones, never easy but we have to struggle in. Some people loose weight at times like these some of us don't. Yeah the battle is on I will be 3 years post next month. My battle is raging, it has gine up and won't come back down. I am trying to eat bit more oily fish, I am having mackerel n pilchards 2-3 times a week well that's the plan. I can feel the stone that has crept on but can't seem to budge it think it is my plateaud weight. I do not regret this bypass and am so pleased of what I have a chieved just sad that I copldnt get further down the line, what amazes me more is that those who were always skinny have hit 40's n 50's and have ballooned out where as I have gone the other way. I am still obese but this is my slim. The head doesn't know or understand some days just what is going on. Guilt, envy, proud, hate, loathe, love are a wide range of emotions that I find my self going through along this rocky road of a journey. Take care lovely, so good to hear from ya xx

It's lovely to hear from you ccpm,
I think a lot of us long termers are struggling to keep the weight down.
I'm sorry to hear you've had a tough time...I feel a bit lost at times too,it's a constant battle with my head.
That's why I started this thread in hope people could relate to me.
My foods are extremely limited now and social occasions can be hard.
But without this bypass I'd dread to think how huge I could have got,but at times nobody understands how tough it is feeling very "alien" .

Great to hear from you CCPM. Always have something interesting to say. Sadly as we get older that what we have to deal with burying loved ones, never easy but we have to struggle in. Some people loose weight at times like these some of us don't. Yeah the battle is on I will be 3 years post next month. My battle is raging, it has gine up and won't come back down. I am trying to eat bit more oily fish, I am having mackerel n pilchards 2-3 times a week well that's the plan. I can feel the stone that has crept on but can't seem to budge it think it is my plateaud weight. I do not regret this bypass and am so pleased of what I have a chieved just sad that I copldnt get further down the line, what amazes me more is that those who were always skinny have hit 40's n 50's and have ballooned out where as I have gone the other way. I am still obese but this is my slim. The head doesn't know or understand some days just what is going on. Guilt, envy, proud, hate, loathe, love are a wide range of emotions that I find my self going through along this rocky road of a journey. Take care lovely, so good to hear from ya xx

That's what I've been eating Chrisa..more fish!
It's my main food now,since meats are a bit of a problem.
I think I've realised bready things are out for me,and cakes,pasta,rice,potatoes as they all get stuck.
And eggs make me sick..I eat plenty of salad and cheese and my fish.
I love dried squid...mmmm
And hot air popcorn for my treat!..sprinkled with bacon salt.
But if I smell bacon butties...I get a bit miffed I cannot just have a little bite of one.

Quite sobering to see you guys talk about struggling again four or five years out. I was hoping to get into the new habits by then, but old habits do die hard as I am just realising now. I'm on honeymoon and keep eating the wrong things despite the fact that it makes me dump. I hope we all get there in the end with the new habits. I just hope that the change of food will keep my metabolism into gear and when I get back to my normal eating at home, I might see some more weight loss. XX

Quite sobering to see you guys talk about struggling again four or five years out. I was hoping to get into the new habits by then, but old habits do die hard as I am just realising now. I'm on honeymoon and keep eating the wrong things despite the fact that it makes me dump. I hope we all get there in the end with the new habits. I just hope that the change of food will keep my metabolism into gear and when I get back to my normal eating at home, I might see some more weight loss. XX

Dumping is no fun at all,I hate it when it happens when I'm out.
It still catches me off guard,even when I think a food is safe to eat..I can be something like mash potato.
Have you tryed introducing nuts to your diet?
These are good especially if your dumping due to having something that night make you dump.
Also hot air popcorn is a god send for me.

Dumping is no fun at all,I hate it when it happens when I'm out. It still catches me off guard,even when I think a food is safe to eat..I can be something like mash potato. Have you tryed introducing nuts to your diet? These are good especially if your dumping due to having something that night make you dump. Also hot air popcorn is a god send for me.
thanks for that tip, will definitely try. Do you make the air popcorn yourself? I suppose in a hotel even the nuts are roasted as opposed to fresh so probably not the best either. Just need to knuckle down again went back home.

thanks for that tip, will definitely try. Do you make the air popcorn yourself? I suppose in a hotel even the nuts are roasted as opposed to fresh so probably not the best either. Just need to knuckle down again went back home.

Yes I make my own hot air machine popcorn,I've got a big collection of flavours.....bacon salt is my favourite x

Hi Emma i too dont consider myself a long termer 14mths post op I do pop in occaisonally update my thread add a word of advise here and there but to be truthful without all the extra weight to bear my life has become ALIVE again. My mobility has greatly improved and I can now plan to have days out with my family which is a great bonus. I still have my health problems chronic fatigue,fibromyalgia,arthritus etc but I am able to manage better with these. I have also just this week spoke at a weight management meeting for Southmead Hosp and shared my experience in person it was a great experience and I felt honoured to be able to give something back to the NHS. :)

Hi Emma i too dont consider myself a long termer 14mths post op I do pop in occaisonally update my thread add a word of advise here and there but to be truthful without all the extra weight to bear my life has become ALIVE again. My mobility has greatly improved and I can now plan to have days out with my family which is a great bonus. I still have my health problems chronic fatigue,fibromyalgia,arthritus etc but I am able to manage better with these. I have also just this week spoke at a weight management meeting for Southmead Hosp and shared my experience in person it was a great experience and I felt honoured to be able to give something back to the NHS. :)

I too have been able to join in with my family a lot more,especially the days out.
It was no fun having to watch them whilst I had to sit on a bench due to my extra weight preventing me.
It's great hear you spoke at a weight management I bet you was very proud afterwards.

Back