• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

10 month Sleevie starting to dump on chocolate

Ruthiep

I am 10 months post sleeve and chocolate has always been my one indulgence. I don't eat cake, biscuits, chips, other high fat foods, but I did like a piece or two of chocolate every day.

Until Friday that is. All of a sudden I started getting severe pain after eating chocolate. First time it happened I thought it was because I had eaten a whole choc covered protein bar AND a dried fruit bar that also had a thin cocoa covering. But when I just had the protein bar I had the same symptoms. And last night I experimented with two squares of milk choc; same thing happened.

Bypassers told me my symptoms were dumping. I was surprised.

Why should I, a sleevie, start dumping and why now after ten months?

I'm sleeved and have never had these symptoms from chocolate or sweet stuff. However if I have a protein bar or high protein I can get really bad wind pain. Not very often but it's instant and hurts. The symptoms don't last long and don't include feeling sick or dizzy.

Sent from my iPhone using WLSurgery

I'm sleeved and have never had these symptoms from chocolate or sweet stuff. However if I have a protein bar or high protein I can get really bad wind pain. Not very often but it's instant and hurts. The symptoms don't last long and don't include feeling sick or dizzy.

Hm someone on another forum said there are chemicals in protein bars...here's what she said:

"Protein bars have a chemical in them, I forget what it is. I want to say Glycerin but I am not sure that is what it is. It makes the protein bar more smooth and silky. But that is also the same chemical that causes people a lot of problems and can also put weight loss to a dead stop. When I was losing if I ate protein bars my weight loss came to a dead stop even though I counted those calories into my daily intake. I quit eating them. It wasn't until a year or so ago where I was reading an article about this stuff and realized, that is what my issue was. I doubt it is the chocolate, it's probably that chemical that is added."

I would disagree as firstly glycerin isn't kosher and my protein bars are kosher and secondly as I said, I had the same symptoms after eating a couple of squares of milk chocolate.

Ruthiep said:
Hm someone on another forum said there are chemicals in protein bars...here's what she said:

"Protein bars have a chemical in them, I forget what it is. I want to say Glycerin but I am not sure that is what it is. It makes the protein bar more smooth and silky. But that is also the same chemical that causes people a lot of problems and can also put weight loss to a dead stop. When I was losing if I ate protein bars my weight loss came to a dead stop even though I counted those calories into my daily intake. I quit eating them. It wasn't until a year or so ago where I was reading an article about this stuff and realized, that is what my issue was. I doubt it is the chocolate, it's probably that chemical that is added."

I would disagree as firstly glycerin isn't kosher and my protein bars are kosher and secondly as I said, I had the same symptoms after eating a couple of squares of milk chocolate.

I have read somewhere too that people start dumping a long time after surgery! That would be very unlucky, as a sleever I didn't think it was possible. I'm five years out, only get wind pain as I said and very not frequently at that.

xx.

Last edited:
Protein bars have polyols in. These give you wind, griping pains and sometimes diaorrhoea if eaten to excess. Not all have it in, but lots do. Same as sugar free sweets. It maybe this!

I am 10 months post sleeve and chocolate has always been my one indulgence. I don't eat cake, biscuits, chips, other high fat foods, but I did like a piece or two of chocolate every day.

Sorry to hear you have started to develop dumping problems 10 months post op, Ruthie.

For me also an occasional small piece of choc (not every day) has been an indulgence that my sleeve has been able to tolerate (did not mention this B4) as I had mentioned elsewhere that I *do* experience dumping from other (high sugar) food items, in particular:

** orange juice + apple juice
** ice cream
** probably most cakes and donuts -- I have not tried, but just have an instinctive feeling that I would, based on my experience of "high GI" sugar products (so shoot me for ever having dared try ice cream and fruit juice but, there we go, I did, and learnt the hard way my sleeve will not tolerate those items).

For me, chocolate (in very small amounts) has been OK as I think there is something about the way chocolate is made that causes it to be slightly *less* high GI than some other sweet products.

I would be a bit peeved as well if I found 10 months post op something I had thought was OK, was suddenly not OK anymore !!! :eek: :eek:

I don't really eat cake, never eat donuts hardly ever icecream. Yes icecream gives me pain, I hadn't actually thought of it as dumping but maybe it is. I make this "Ice cream" for diabetic hubby; out of strawberries, fruit sugar, (lower GI) and egg whites only, and it gives me those symptoms.

Back