• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Update

StephieAck

I know Ive changed!
Hello there all
Remember me? lol
Anyway, time to update I guess.
Im 21 months out from my surgery and am pretty much 'done' now loss wise. I sit anywhere from 10st 3lbs to 10st 9lbs, usually around 10st 5lbs but anywhere in the bracket is normal, though if I see the 9lbs on the scale I go very careful with my food choices and bring it down a few lbs just for comfort.
I wear clothing anywhere from a size 8 to size 12...8/10 on the bottom and 10/12 on top. I never though I would ever get below a 14/16, which was my dream size, so when I buy a size 8 I still find myself staring at this tiny bit of material and shaking my head saying "its never going to fit....oh it does and fits well"....even after being this size for a good few months now it just doesnt seem real.
Every single day when I wake up I look down at myself and touch my body to check that Im still slim lol I hope I never lose that appreciation.
Health wise, Im doing ok, my blood sugars have swung the other way from pre op and are very sensitive to going too low, so I have to be careful of that, but thats easy enough to do. Im a dumper! I wanted to be because I call it my bottled willpower, but mannnnnnnnn do I dump!!! I have the auspicious 'blessing' of both (what I call) hard dumping and soft dumping, hard being when it happens within ten minutes of the food and soft being within an hour or so of it. I hard dump on the obvious foods and basically dont have them, I dont eat chocolate, cakes or biscuits still and sweet drinks are a no no, I did suck one chocolate button a month or so ago but thought better of it and spat it out...somehow some got in though and I dumped rather hard very shortly after. When I dump I go very hot and dizzy and grumpy and it feels like I have a huge ball in my stomach and I feel very sick and spend time over a bowl spitting up (sexy huh lol) and waiting to be sick, which I never am but sometimes hope for. I then have to lay down and usually am then unconcious on the sofa for the rest of the day, so you can imagine why I dont ever push the obvious limits.
The soft dumping is a new revelation to me, I thought I was having a lot of hypos, but hubby and I examined when it happens and its always after foods that I thought I can handle, but quite obviously cant (as if I have them I 'dump' repeatedly all day long. So I experiemented and have worked out what causes it and when I dont have them Im fine, so I have had to ammend my diet accordingly.
I have had to go back now to very very small amounts of sugars, even natural and slow release ones, which is a pain, but at the same time it might help me to hit 10st 0lbs because it is going to be high protein, which always gets my losses going.
I get way more headaches now, I was never a headachey type pre-op but post-op I am, they are bearable and Im used to them, but they are something I didnt expect. I struggle sometimes with my lower back, in fact I was referred to physio and got help to ease it, once again it wasnt something Id expected, but even that is worth it to wear a size 8 lol
So how is life as a slim person? Its bloody awesome, all things considered, I would NEVER go back to my previous existance, the very thought keeps me in line and keeps me in control of my weight.
I always wanted to melt in to a crowd, and I do, but also enjoy being noticed sometimes and do admit that I love the male attention, I love the looks I sometimes get, its so ego boosting lol
I did discover wine a couple of months ago, and had to reign myself in because I reallllllllllly like it, went from a glass now and then to a bottle to myself each Friday or Saturday, so now I have it occassionally as a little treat.
Im not mega impressed with my weight loss team, I was seen at 8 months out by my surgeon and once or twice by the weight loss clinic, but thats it and Mr Li's secretary has stopped replying to emails. I called the hospital and they told me that Mr Li doesnt operate there now and they have trouble contacting him too but they got me in for a check up with the dietician and to be weighed etc and to get my bloods checked, no results from the bloods yet (they said they would be in touch if there were any problems) and they are very happy with me, they said not to worry about BMI saying Im overweight, they dont like BMI and they said its obvious I am healthy and well and doing great, so to be happy with that. They made me an appointment again for the end of this month because they hadnt seen me since LAST July! so they were sure to book it there and then. So I do feel really let down by Mr Li and his admin, I saw him once before the op, the day of the op and once since the op and only been checked on something like three times in the 21 months post op and I doubt now that Ill get to see him before my 2 years aftercare is up, its disgusting to be forgotten like that, but luckily Im rather healthy and have no complications.
Well, I get some pain which after research would indicate that maybe my gallbladder isnt so happy all of the time, but I have a good GP to go to for that.
So yeah, life is nice for me now and I would happily have my surgery over and over again and dont regret it one little bit.
Hope everyone is well xxx
Steph xx

Hi Steph, I remember you as I was following your progress whilst I was waiting. You've done brilliantly and are an inspiration. as a newly post op person ( 2 weeks,1 day!) I find it really reassuring and interesting to hear from people who have completed their weight loss and are now maintaining, so thanks for sharing.
I'd love to see a photo update. All the best for the future
xx

Steph, you've done brilliantly well on your journey. I'm sure you've had your challenges, but you are a real inspiration to both pre-oppers, and those like myself who are just post-op.
I just have one question, if you don't mind? When did your head start to catch up with your weight loss?
I'm now 60lb down, and eight weeks post-op, have lost 4 inches from my bust and hips, and 5 from my waist, but I don't 'feel' like I've lost anything. Does it take a while?
xXx

Thanks guys xxx
Hhhmmmm...when did my head catch up? It took a lonnnnnnnng time, and to be honest I dont think it ever truly has done, I still perceive myself as chubby, Ill point someone out to my fella and say "Id love to be as slim as that" and he will compare us and say "honey, you are, in fact no, youre slimmer!" but my mind just cant see it.
I KNOW Im slim, I identify with it and live it, but I dont think my brain will ever truly catch up.
Its a strange thing, because there WILL come a time when you see yourself and say yes, I can see it, its working and Im doing well and you DO see it, but its strange for me personally because I DO see it, but then again I also dont....lol strange I know lol
Congratulations on the losses, they are awesome xxx
Steph xx

Thanks Steph x

Hi Steph, thank you so much for posting this - it is so inspiring to hear this. My surgery is on 21st of this month and as it gets nearer I am getting more nervous and asking myself why I'm going through this - your message reminds me of all the reasons! Thanks for sharing and well done on your fabulous achievements:)

thanks for posting and well done

thank you for that as my biggest fear is not getting to my goal or maintaining once im there,,, so it can be done xxx

Oh my yes, it can certainly be done. I never thought that I would have even a quarter of the success with weight loss than I have. I have far outdone even my own wildest dreams. I thought that this surgery would help me, but not make it possible to lose as much as I wanted to lose, I thought that maybe it would help me to lose four or five stone and here I am ten stone down!!! So yes, it can work fantastically when used as the awesome tool that it is.
Good luck to you and I wish you, and everyone, the very best of luck.
Steph xx

Stephie it's so lovely to see you back here.

I hear your complaints on aftercare, i personally think there are a few teams who could do with worrying about providing a good service that way too. I've had 3 appt's since my surgery, the first i rang and chased, the second i rang and chased and the third i got at the second appt because i was struggling and really wasn't going without answers lol. I have an appt later this month and am looking forward to seeing what they have to say.

I totally get you and Louanne on the head/body recognition thing! Many times i say to Trev to point someone out who's the same size as me, or ask if someone is bigger or smaller. I guess after 25 years of looking at fat me it takes some time to get used to a smaller sized me lol...

Please don't be a stranger and be sure to wave on FB xxx

Great to hear from you Steph. You have done amazingly well. I followed you just before my surgery and aspired to be like you. I remember you're great excitement as you dropped through the sizes!

I'm there with you now!!!

I'm down to a size 8 and weigh 10st 4lb. Something I never thought I'd achieve!

Like you I'm a major dumper, the slightest thing has me sweating, dizzy, ringing in my ears and feeling very very sick! It's kepte on the straight and narrow though.

I'm struggling to maintain though, having to start supplement drinks as soon as the prescription is through. I still struggle with portion sizes and have to work hard to get 800+ calories in per day.

How's your restriction 21 months out?

I'm kinda hoping my dumping stays, feels good to say I've not eaten sweets/chocolate/biscuits/cake etc for a whole year!!!

So fabulous to hear from you! You are so inspirational!

lovely to hear from you Steph, and well done on achieving and maintaining your weight loss.

Dont be a stranger hun xx

Stephanie
Your story is an inspiration to others
Well done hun, you have done so well
I wasn't on here when you started your story, but am really pleased to be able to read it now, you should be so proud of yourself
Best wishes for the future
Kim X

Back