• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

18 weeks

smilergem

On my wl journey at last
Hi everyone. I have seen a few people mention in their threads about an 18 week waiting time between consultation and operation. Can anyone tell me what this is about please, or whether it applies to everyone going for WLS.
Am hoping to get surgery some time this year, but there is a 4 week wait to see surgeon, then 14-16 weeks for the triple appointment to have bloods, see dietician, anaesthetist, etc then a further 10 - 12 weeks for surgery. Is this about the norm?
Thanks for any help or advice xx

Hi everyone. I have seen a few people mention in their threads about an 18 week waiting time between consultation and operation. Can anyone tell me what this is about please, or whether it applies to everyone going for WLS.
Am hoping to get surgery some time this year, but there is a 4 week wait to see surgeon, then 14-16 weeks for the triple appointment to have bloods, see dietician, anaesthetist, etc then a further 10 - 12 weeks for surgery. Is this about the norm?
Thanks for any help or advice xx
Hi, each NHS Trust has different periods of waiting lists, I myself had to wait 1 year from seeing the consultant for the first time to the actual surgery. :(

I was 16 weeks from seeing my Dr to having my op on the NHS think I was just lucky

Hi SG. After getting funding (although my pct does it automatically) i went on the waiting list and was told there was a 20 week wait. Presuming this to be surgery wait. Not quite right, i think the wait refers to when i'll have had pre ops and be given a surgery date. I reckon like Mixman above it will be close to a year from initial appt to surgery...

Good luck with your journey xx

Thanks everyone for your replies. It is very confusing, all these waiting times. I guess it just seems like it is never going to happen, as been trying to get this for 4 years, been turned down twice before for funding, thank goodness I had it agreed last month. Just another long wait now :-((

Hi Jan,
I was advised by my surgeon's secretary that the 18 weeks is from when you go on the surgical waiting list.
I know different PCT's have different procedures but mine in Salford went like this:-
One Stop Clinic 6th Aug 09
Sleep Studies 8th Sep 09
Psychologist 29th Oct 09
Surgical waiting list 29th Oct 09 (that was my last obstical!)
Had my Bypass on 1st Feb :D

Good Luck x
Gail

HI
I am Salford also and was told 18 weeks from last appointment which was a pyschological assesment so my opearion should have been mid february but I had it 11th January.
All in all from GP to operation is took 20 months x

Back