• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

info about 18 week rule !!!!

helen144

Hi all

I have read quite a few posts recently about the 18 week rule and thought it best to to give you all the information i have.

I am due to have my surgery in 13 days at Salford Royal under the care of Mr Ammori, i too have gone over the 18 week rule!!!

I was in touch with PALS (patient advice and liason service) who contacted a variety of professionals to find information out regarding the 18 week rule for bariactric patients.

The 18 week rule DOES apply for people who are undergoing weight loss surgery (WLS is not deemed to be cosmetic, it is deemed to be life saving and helps prevent co morbidities associated with obesity).

There has been some confusion as to when the 18 week rule applys and not all health professionals are aware of it either.

The 18 week rule applies from when the referal is made to the hospital consultant for weight loss surgery (if before 1st january 2009 the referal will be dated from this date as this is when it came into force )

They have 18 weeks to perform all necessary investigations and which to also perform the proposed surgery.

HOWEVER

This is for the benefit of the hospital and not that of the patient !!!!

The hospital is allowed a certain amount of breaches (15%) and after this they will be financially penalised for going over the target.

Bariactric surgery is difficult as there is a large amount of investigations that need to be performed so the risk of going over the 18 week period is highly likely.

As Bariactric surgery is now becoming hugely popular the demand on the NHS is growing therefore increasing the waiting times , The PCT are as I understand it looking at ways in which the 18 week rule can be adjusted to their benefit i.e some investigations performed via the GP before the referal is made.

So in all yes it does apply if they can achieve it they will if they cant then you have to wait , you cant use this in your favour its not a law thing its a financial thing for the NHS.

Hope this helps and it makes sense

Helen xxxxxx

so basicly its worthless the 18 week rule?

julie x

YEh to us lol

But eventually the NHS will have to put something in place to achieve it because if they dont that area willbe financially penalised, as this rule was only brought into force on january 1st the hospitals are new to this also , as time goes on they will make adjustments to meet the targets so in turn will benefit the patient.

at least then you will know that your surgery will be within 18 weeks.

but basically once they have gone over the 18 week rule it makes me think that it doesnt matter when they operate then because they have nothing to lose anymore!!!

Crap aint it

Helen
xxxxxxxx

do you think that they will try to stick to the 18 week rule or completely ignor it as they are able to ?

I think hospitals may try to stick to the 18 week rule, but its a bit of a nonsense for bariatrics as demand for wls far exceeds the supply of surgeons/operating slots etc.

Given a choice of waiting a year to see a great surgeon, or an 18 week wait to see someone I know little about. I know what I would choose. Having been through this once already with a not so great hospital / team - I don't care how long it takes as long as I am seen by the right person.

i was told the 18 week rule started the day the surgeon got my ok from psych for go ahead that was 4th may although i was reffered august2008 saw surgeon feb09 .so apparently my breach date is sept 11th.so basically it is all rot an played about with to suit there own agenda

I saw the surgeon and was put on the list on dec 18th 2008, so they are way over the 18 week limit now, and according to my pct, the 18 week rule doesn't apply to bariatric surgery anyway:confused::confused:

Yeh they do play it to their advantage I was told too by the consultants secretary that the 18 week rule stops whilst waiting for investigations , this is not true !!!! the 18 week rule is from the date of referal to treatment, now maybe this is just Salford Royal but as far as I believe this is a nationwide rule , but yes bariactric surgery outways the amounts of surgeons performing the surgery xxx

Its all well and good being told about the 18 week rule, but in practise it doesn't work for bariatrics - in an ideal world maybe, but we don't live in one of those!

The surgeons can only do so many operations, and no amount of phone calls and chasing is likely to enable them to do it any quicker - quality must be better than quantity surely?

Getting angry about it only raises your stress levels - not theirs!

Its all well and good being told about the 18 week rule, but in practise it doesn't work for bariatrics - in an ideal world maybe, but we don't live in one of those!

The surgeons can only do so many operations, and no amount of phone calls and chasing is likely to enable them to do it any quicker - quality must be better than quantity surely?

Getting angry about it only raises your stress levels - not theirs!
do you work for one of these hospitals!!!!!!!!!!!!?

do you work for one of these hospitals!!!!!!!!!!!!?

Why would you ask that? I am a patient waiting for surgery - no different to you.

Is is not possible for a patient to not be so stressed about waiting? We all want our surgeries, but getting stressed isn't going to see it come around for me any quicker...

If you are that unhappy about it - change hospitals.

Having had such a bad experience with my first wls op with my first hospital doing everything within guidelines (but with rubbish care / aftercare), I now know with hindsight that waiting for something better is well worth the wait. That's all.

Last edited:
if banding surgery only takes about 20 mins they can get quite a few done in a day

Hi all

I do work for the NHS but im a midwife I dont have any involvement with the 18 week rule as all our patients have to be seen as you know , I do however have a slight understanding how the NHS works, when i was coming near to the breech of my 18 week rule i decided to do some research and the information i provided is from that !!!

I too have breeched the 18 week rule infact nearluy everyone i know has, it was discussed with myself and PALS as to whether i write a letter to the PCT to suggest ways in which the whole process can be made quicker and whether each person referred for bariactric surgery can be treated as an individual rather than having to go through all the currentle reqested investigations.

Helen xxxx

if banding surgery only takes about 20 mins they can get quite a few done in a day

hi julia its not that simple, theres only so many surgery slots allocated each day, and it takes time to prep theatre after each patient, they have to allow time for complications during surgery as well, its not about speed but about quality of care to each individual patient x

Back