• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

18 week rule

Pit Bull is very knowledgeable on this rule! I'll put the link up to it again.

You can download the info pack here, it has a diagram that explains what it is.

Hello there

i was on a thread the other day (soz cant remember wot one) and it stated on there that the 18 week rule had been reduced to 12..............damn wished i could remember who wrote it...........

All the best - mejulie x

I was on a previous thread about this, someone who works for the PCT in Scotland had mentioned it changing there, which it has done, but no luck for the rest of the UK which is still 18 weeks when I googled it!!

Hope this helps.

Lucy x

I spoke to my PCT and PALS, and they both told me the 18 week rule doesn't apply to bariatric surgery:(:(I've been waiting a lot longer than that already :(:(

I spoke to my PCT and PALS, and they both told me the 18 week rule doesn't apply to bariatric surgery:(:(I've been waiting a lot longer than that already :(:(

Hmm... maybe because it is an elective procedure?

My surgeon has managed to figure out a way around this rule when it comes to Bariatric surgery.

I was told that from the first referral it would be (a max) of 18 weeks until all pre-op assessments were done. This included appointments and tests such as an endoscope, dietician, sleep apnoea, psychologist...

Then there would be a decision made on my case. Even though funding was already granted, they needed to decide as a multi-disciplinary team if I was a suitable candidate. Once this was made a referral would be made back to my Doctor and I would be referred back to the surgeon. It would be from that second appointment that the second 18 week rule came into practice.

My GP was outraged at this system as she told me that it cost the NHS and the practice money every time a referral was made! It is a pretty lousy way to get around achieving set targets as it ultimately costs the NHS more! Saying that, waiting the two lots of 18 weeks would still let me have the operation before a lot of people on this forum who have been waiting longer.

Well I've been waiting althogether 10 months since I first went to docs, and 7 months since I got the funding.Am getting peed off now:(:(

i got told that it has to be done with in 18 weeks of the pct fundidng it well it was that in my case anyway but i had my bad done with in 4 weeks of pct okin the funding but had to wait about 12 weeks for a bloody yes heheheh coz they lost my case

i s:grouphugg:aw gp about funding 13 months ago got funding approved 10 months ago,saw surgeon 4 months ago an psychologist 3 weeks ago an been told this week it should be done by sept 11th this year that is 18 weeks from surgeon getting ok letter from psych. this is st richards chichester hosp good luck one an all x

Back