• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

1st Fill blues

joujou

Had my 1st fill yesterday and I'm so disappointed as it seems I have no more restriction than before!!!! Experienced banders what's my next move ?? Do I wait or go back for more saline pronto as I'm off on hols in 3 weeks!!!!!

Hi jou jou

How much did you have put in. I had 4mls on the day of the banding in a 10ml band. I have no restriction with that.

do you really want a fill before you go on holiday? I am only going to spain, but I am scared stiff in case I have problems with being over filled and need to go to a hospital whilst there.

I have a 10ml band that had 1ml put in at time of insertion, I'm blowed if I know how much she put in on fill day I think she said 3 ml but surely that's not right?!?! I just feel really miffed as I've had no flipping restriction for 5 weeks and I've got to go the New York in 3 weeks with no restriction !!I'm not happy :-(

you have just had a fill, are you back on liquids and mash? If so, it's unlikely that you will feel restriction until you're back on normal foods at least, then it may be minimal - it takes time with this band so you need to work with it, take it slowly but exec that it can take time to get it right.

Some providers have a minimum amount of time between fills, mine is 2 weeks. I did have my 2nd fill at that point as I had no restriction at all, in fact it wasn't Until my 4th fill at 6-7 months out when I finally had some.

If when you're back on normal foods make positive choices to dry and crunchy foods, a lot of it is about what you're eating with restriction too. Things which keep you fuller for longer, drier, crunchier foods. Give your band time to settle after the fill, because It can seem if you are on liquids and mash for example that you don't have restriction. But can find it is there with changing foods.

Also if you're going away, I wouldn't push to have too much in there, you do not want to experience being over restricted, especially while away

A lot of people don't get restriction for 3 or 4 fills. Did your fill nurse not warn you? Where do you get fills?

I have a 10ml band that had 1ml put in at time of insertion, I'm blowed if I know how much she put in on fill day I think she said 3 ml but surely that's not right?!?! I just feel really miffed as I've had no flipping restriction for 5 weeks and I've got to go the New York in 3 weeks with no restriction !!I'm not happy :-(

Yes 3ml could be right, they won't tend to put too much in one go. I had none at Time of surgery but dd go to 5mls, it's then been small amounts of 1.5 mls. I am due for another fill tomorrow but that is likely to be 0.3 or 0.5

Topkat as ever I love you!! Always there to sooth the nerves and put a sensible informed point across, and Jo it was at theTHG and not an awful lot was said at the fill appointment :-/ so I shall trust in you all and Keep Calm and Carry On ! Right I'm off to have some shreddies!!!

Hi Joujou, TopKat is the model that many of us banders look to for her experience and sensible advise. I had my first fill at the end of April with no restriction whatever but I have deliberately avoided a further fill as I'm off on holiday on Friday for two weeks and the last thing I want is a problem with over restriction. I hope to continue losing whilst on holiday but in reality I will be happy if I cone home the same weight as I go. I expect it to take at least two more fills before restriction but that is fine with me as this whole thing is a life long change and as we all on here know it is not a quick or easy fix. Have a fantastic time in NY, there are some great restaurants and you will be able to make good food choices.

Hi Joujou
I had my band with THG and had approx 4mls at time of surgery last July. I have had 5 fills up until now but having got over ambition at the end of last year and again at the start of the year, resulting in an emergency defill of 0.5 in November and then 1ml in January, I am now after a 0.2 ml fill yesterday back up the amount I had at Xmas. I have taken it really slowly since January and have had 0.2 at a time put back in an attempt to reach optimum restriction.
I also spoke with the nurse yesterday (I have seen a different nurse for the past 2 fills) about my slow weightloss and was informed that it's not unusual for people not to lose weight for the first year after surgery and having had 2 defills in the past 7 months due to my eagerness to get to where I wanted to be (I only ever had put in what the original clinic nurse suggested) I have slowed myself down.
A little at a time seems to be the way foward and THG will carry out fills 3 weeks apart so not a major amount of time between.
Next time you have an appointment maybe you could take some questions with you to help get the answers you want?
I hope you really enjoy New York. Lovely place!!
Crazy Lady

I always get annoyed that providers don't spell out clearly enough most people don't have good restriction for months then once you have restriction it can then be tinkered about with to get your sweetspot. each person will different as to what restriction is for them even if they have the same size bands I have a 14ml band but had restriction at 8.75 mls . I currently have 3 mils in and have no restriction at all unless im poorly

Had my 1st fill yesterday and I'm so disappointed as it seems I have no more restriction than before!!!! Experienced banders what's my next move ?? Do I wait or go back for more saline pronto as I'm off on hols in 3 weeks!!!!!

Hiya

I had my first fill last Monday 3 June. I had 1 ml already in a 10ml band (not a 15ml band which I was told originally?!)
The nurse sat me upright with the needle sticking out of the port and I sipped water whilst she slowly added the fill. She put 2ml in then another 0.5 and the difference I felt between 2-2.5 was quite a lot so she took it back down to 2ml fill (plus the original 1ml total 3ml)

I done mashed food for 24 hrs but cannot say I've had any major impact on food intake other than I physically could not ear normal bread now - I've switched to Danish which is brill :)

I'm booked for another full on 1july and I reckon that will be much better going by how I felt on the extra 0.5 mil- maybe u could ask your nurse to do that on your next fill?

FYI I have to wait 4 weeks between fills

Much love
Bex x

Hiya

You said you are having shreddies?? Aren't you still on liquid or mush? after my 1st fill I had to do 3 day liquid 3 day mush again, now I do 1 day of each after fills with THG?

I don't think they will give you a fill within 2 weeks of flying from my experience with them. You don't want to overdo it getting on a long flight.

I've been ok but have only done 5 hours to canary islands.

Like TopKat said take it easy. As you can see from my stats I have had a lot of fills and am only now getting to where I need ot be I think? still not sure but stick to the 20 minute rule so never over eat anyway.

All will be fine in the end x x

WOW!!!! It never fails to amaze me just how wonderful our banding family is!!! Ok ladies I see its a case of time, trial and error ! So my impatient, instant gratification gene has kicked in all too soon then ?!?!?

I so wanted to be able to eat tincy wincy portions but alas I will clearly need to wait :-(

Thanks girls for the faultless advice and complete support....... Your all GREAT :)

Back