• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

1st support group i've joined

Ricci

Hi, i am very new to all of this. Sorry if i go on.
I have been seen by weight management team at Aintree. They've been great so far. I have seen Dr Thomas, the psychologist and dieticians, been to a couple of support group meetings at Aintree and have just been given a date to meet my surgeon and have pre assessment done on 18th of November.
I am both excited and terrified!
I am a clinical support worker in Out Patients in a hospital further north. So no heavy lifting but on feet for much of the day.
I am wondering roughly how long i may need off work. I understand that everyone is different, but was hoping for someone to be able to give me an idea.
I am hoping to have the Sleeve done, if the surgeon agrees.
Thank you in advance for any replies.
Ricci

Hi. I am 5 weeks post op today. I went back to work after a week but took it easy for another week. I would say definitely 2 weeks. Again everyone is different. Good luck.

I had two weeks off and was v tired at work but fine. A week of early nights and then fully functioning the following week.

I was bypassed last week but before surgery I asked dietitian how long off work. She said that most people return after a max of 6 weeks and this is what I have told work. I'm in a fortunate position now as I had to budget for 6 weeks off work as I was on a 0 hour contract but contract is now permanent and because of long service I qualify for stat sick pay. Thus is still a reduction in wage but something coming in.

The point really is I discussed it with work and said it could be around 6 weeks. They also think it's a bonus if I'm back in 5. Personally I'd rather give them the worse case scenario as im one of only 2 support workers and carry a caseload. The other staff need to know what the worst is as well so they plan for the worse. This is because I was running the service pretty much by myself the other month due to staff sickness and not knowing when it would end was a nightmare.

Ellie

Hello and welcome
I was told in no uncertain terms to take 3MONTHS off work I argued with both my surgeon and doctor but they both were not for moving! But in all honestly they knew what they were talking about I need need most of that time off I was OK once I could eat normal foods but when I did return to work ( I support disabled people in a day centre so long busy physical days) I was knackered for the first couple of weeks
My advise is take the time if you feel fine in less time and able to do your job then return if not like I said take the time to recover

Back