• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2 weeks post op and in terrible pain

sparkle76

Sorry for posting again, just posted in another thread but quite worried and needed a quick answer. :eek:
Hi everyone, hope you're all well and enjoying what's left of your weekend.
Well I'm 2 weeks post op and I think something is wrong. It started Friday after I had a busy morning rushing around getting kids to school/nursery before my course started at 9.30am.
I got a sudden stabbing pain just under the right side of my ribs. It happens off and on but it's preventing me from bending to pick something off the floor and standing up or sitting down is also painful. I can feel something hard under my skin in the sore area. :(
I just phoned the emergency number and spoke to a nurse who said it's quite normal and to take painkillers as It will settle down. :(
Not sure if I believe her though?? Anyone else experienced similar?
Just noticed I got to 50 posts!!

I'm not a bander, so hopefully someone will come along soon who is to offer advice, but what I can say, is even as a bypasser & being a few months out, I still get weird stabbing pains & terrible wind pains on occasion that can literally take my breath away & stop me from moving for a while. So in that sense, yes, it does sounds typical. Take some pain killers, & some wind remedy if you have it & try to take it easy. Sipping peppermint tea or warm water can sometimes help. Hopefully it will pass soon, but if you are still in pain tomorrow, get an emergency appt with your Dr. Hoping you feel better soon xxxx

When you say you spoke to the emergency nurse, do you mean an emergency nurse provided by your bariatric team? If so then i'm sure you can trust her. If emergency nurse is nhs direct then maybe ring your team in the morning but in the meantime try and take some wind relief meds and relax...

You might feel great two weeks post op, but in fact your body is healing for a long time, you just wont see/feel it unless you overdo something, rushing around etc....

Stop being superwoman and try and rest a bit now and listen to the warning xx

Firstly stop rushing about like a bat out of hell LoL you just had a major op and should be resting ( thats u told, lol) the hard bit thats sore under the skin could this be your port ( soz not sure where u have urs placed) I cannot comment about the stabbing pains as I never had any stabbing pains at all from my op....How long have u been experiencing the stabbing pains?? and if u have had only since u bent over?? poss could have pulled a muscle or just moved the wrong way and snagged yaself?? ( thinking out loud here)

Sorry for posting again, just posted in another thread but quite worried and needed a quick answer. :eek:
Hi everyone, hope you're all well and enjoying what's left of your weekend.
Well I'm 2 weeks post op and I think something is wrong. It started Friday after I had a busy morning rushing around getting kids to school/nursery before my course started at 9.30am.
I got a sudden stabbing pain just under the right side of my ribs. It happens off and on but it's preventing me from bending to pick something off the floor and standing up or sitting down is also painful. I can feel something hard under my skin in the sore area. :(

this is "port pain" you are experiencing, your port must be positioned/placed there, the hard thing you can feel is the port & its obviously rubbing, this takes the longest to settle and the lump feeling is generally the port next to the largest scar, this will settle but can take a few weeks & some people experience port pain every now and then even after a couple of years i know i did but its sonething you get to used to, it will ease in time though.
I just phoned the emergency number and spoke to a nurse who said it's quite normal and to take painkillers as It will settle down. :(

she is correct take pain releief and try not to lay on the port area whilst sleeping.

Not sure if I believe her though?? Anyone else experienced similar?
Just noticed I got to 50 posts!!

i hope my answers have helped, they should of explained about your port positioning and port pain, i hope you feel better soon x

Last edited:
I would rest Angel and try and relax... it sounds like you have been doing too much... but be sure to link in and discuss when you Bariatric team are working tomorrow...

I'm getting a lot of wind type pain and it's quite dramatic at times, so I'd be sucking Windese... relaxing with a warm peppermint tea and building in some rest for yourself to fully recover...

Do take care and let us know how you get on in the morning... however, if you are in absolute agony and it cannot wait then you'd have to follow the Emergency route this evening.

Take it calmly if you can and relax and rest precious.

I'm thinking of you and holding your hand xxx

Bev - You make me want to cry cos you're so lovely xx
Well I took all of your advice and the nurses by resting and taking pain relief. It is difficult finding time to rest when the house is a mess after a 4yr olds birthday party and the others all need something (I have 5 boys aged 2,4,6,8 and 10) But after sitting and resting last night and not rushing too much this morning I have found that the pain has gone.
justliz - I think what you said sounds exactly like what I was experiencing, I thought the port had come loose and was having a fine old time moving around freely but hurting so much at the same time.
So I need to slow down and take things at a slower pace or the pain will come back with a vengeance!! Thanks for all your advice x

Just wanted to jump in quickly and say blimey you are possibly superwoman trying to balance looking after that many boys and allow your body to heal at the same time!

Just make sure mummy gets some rest in between..you need to look after you too!

hope the pain has eased some and the magical fairies come along and clear up after the party! :D

Gosh no wonder you are feeling it lovey, try and rest. Its so difficult when you have younger children to look after but go slower for a while..the mess will sort its self out..you need to put yourself first for a bit, which is difficult with your little ones. Good luck love and i hope you feel better soon xxx

5 boys age 10 and under!!!! You need a superwoman award - but heed the advice and make time for yourself. Hope you are feeling better xx

Thanks everyone x x Feeling much better now, I slowed down and got the boys to help with tidying and anything needing picking up off the floor! They are such little sweethearts asking how I'm feeling and if my tummy needed a rub to help it get better!!

Back