• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2 weeks post op and struggling

MissB21

I am currently 2 weeks post op and im finding it really hard to eat the pureed food and the 2 litres of fluid. I get a pain if i drink too much or too quickly. Most foods that i puree are making me feel like im going to be sick. I have got to the point now where i am struggling to find things to eat as the thought of food is making me feel physically sick.
Has anyone gone through this? does it pass?
i cant face any more mashed potato or gravy :cry:

Hi, it could be that you're just not ready to move onto the next stage yet. Maybe try another day or so on liquids and see if that helps. Take it easy, concentrate on your fluids, maybe make a batch of soup. You've just had major surgery, it takes time to heal but you'll get there.

Hope you feel better soon, Take care x

Hi sweet i am now 3 week post surgery and i am just starting puree so maybe like Andrea says stick to fluids for another few days. I know different hospital do different times and maybe your body has not healed enough yet. It will get easier but I know it can be really disheartening to feel so ill and fed up. Good luck sweet and we are all here for you, xx

Magsy said:
Hi sweet i am now 3 week post surgery and i am just starting puree so maybe like Andrea says stick to fluids for another few days. I know different hospital do different times and maybe your body has not healed enough yet. It will get easier but I know it can be really disheartening to feel so ill and fed up. Good luck sweet and we are all here for you, xx

Hi should not worry to much I'm 6 weeks post op and some days I cantake puree and some I can't and it's fluid only. I was told to just keep trying x

I'm surprised that nobody has replied about what it is you are eating. Perhaps that is part of the problem? I am pre-op but I am currently doing a ton of research in regards to what I should be eating after the operation... and nowhere in anything I've read did anyone ever mention potatoes OR gravy. Potatoes have next to nothing for your in terms of nutrients, there far better ways to get the nutrients that are needed, beans, lentils, etc... and gravy? Well it goes without saying that this could cause you to feel nauseated, gravy is basically just fat and most people who have had bypass will tell you that the sick feeling is almost guaranteed when eating anything like that.

I'm sorry you aren't feeling well, I know (from what I hear) that the first month or so after the surgery can be quite rough. Maybe try eating different things, cut out on any fats and try to maximize the quality of the food you are eating and see if that makes a difference.

Hope you feel better soon!

hi neighbour im in hernebay ,x i agree with others love , try going back to liquids and i have to disagree with turtlegal my hospital tells us to eat mash with soup or gravy ,which i did ,and ive not had one problem with my bloods and had no sickness at all im 7 weeks post op and now on soft food stage ,never been healthier or happier,,,,hope your feeling better soon ,please call your hospital about any any problems you have ,thats what they are there for love xxx good luck x

I am currently 2 weeks post op and im finding it really hard to eat the pureed food and the 2 litres of fluid. I get a pain if i drink too much or too quickly. Most foods that i puree are making me feel like im going to be sick. I have got to the point now where i am struggling to find things to eat as the thought of food is making me feel physically sick.
Has anyone gone through this? does it pass?
i cant face any more mashed potato or gravy :cry:

hi i see you had your op done by guy slater so did i on the 3rd nov how have you done with weight lose ? what are you eating ?

hi neighbour im in hernebay ,x i agree with others love , try going back to liquids and i have to disagree with turtlegal my hospital tells us to eat mash with soup or gravy ,which i did ,and ive not had one problem with my bloods and had no sickness at all im 7 weeks post op and now on soft food stage ,never been healthier or happier,,,,hope your feeling better soon ,please call your hospital about any any problems you have ,thats what they are there for love xxx good luck x

I think we'll definitely have to agree to disagree on this one. Given the small amount of food you can eat after surgery, I'd want to make sure it was as packed with nutrients as possible. Potato doesn't give you a heck of a lot in that regard.

Also, what works for some may not work for others. I have friends who have gotten terribly sick and had awful dumping from any fats whatsoever after the surgery, so it's possible the gravy (and other fat-type things she may be eating) may be disagreeing with her. It's worth excluding them to see, doesn't hurt.

i dont mean home made fatty gravy,ive had no fats ,since my op,,,,i mean bovril or oxo ,tiny amounts and yes im sure your friends would dump on fat ,i would too,,,,and to be honest the small amounts you eat in the first weeks are trace nutrients,hence the supplements given by our providers,,you could never get all you need from foods in the first days,or weeks also post op.mash is easy to get down and can be fortified with protiens or milk for added goodness.its just my opinion , not everyones obviously,so yes we must agree to disagree lol xxxxxxx

i dont mean home made fatty gravy,ive had no fats ,since my op,,,,i mean bovril or oxo ,tiny amounts and yes im sure your friends would dump on fat ,i would too,,,,and to be honest the small amounts you eat in the first weeks are trace nutrients,hence the supplements given by our providers,,you could never get all you need from foods in the first days,or weeks also post op.mash is easy to get down and can be fortified with protiens or milk for added goodness.its just my opinion , not everyones obviously,so yes we must agree to disagree lol xxxxxxx

Oh god ok that makes more sense... I'm Canadian and when I think of gravy all I see is fat mixed with flour! I was like, how in the heck are these people eating that and not rolling on the floor in pain (or legging it for the potty!) Makes more sense now!

Every book I've read (cookbooks and life after surgery ) promote mash made with milk and grated cheese. Also my hospital promote mash and gravy. Can't wait lol. X

Oh god ok that makes more sense... I'm Canadian and when I think of gravy all I see is fat mixed with flour! I was like, how in the heck are these people eating that and not rolling on the floor in pain (or legging it for the potty!) Makes more sense now!

TurtleGal how did you find the whole process, it's different all over the uk and every hospital does it differently. Good luck on your journey x

I am a Canadian in the Netherlands and the whole process has been ok for me but I am only part way through. I need to lose weight to have IVF (I've already done IUI treatments but they didn't work, and time is running out as they won't do IVF here if you have a BMI above 35 or are over 40 years old and I'm 36 now). I am with a clinic here in Holland that has a waiting period of only 3 months and it's fully insured, so I'm very lucky in that regard. I had my intake appointment on November 8th and I should have my surgery date by Friday. They said it should be sometime around the end of January or beginning of February.

I'll be operated on by Dr. Dillemans in Belgium and he has a really fantastic reputation, so I'm quite happy about that. I'm just hoping that I do well AFTER the surgery, which is the hardest part of course!

hi i see you had your op done by guy slater so did i on the 3rd nov how have you done with weight lose ? what are you eating ?

I had mine on the 9th.... things went fantastic and i have lost 2 stone so far in 4 weeks.... 1 stone was pre op on the milk diet then i have lost a stone in two weeks post op.
Im eating loads of mash lol.... weetabix or ready brek for breakfast, half a muller light mid morning soup for lunch then dinner is mash with veg or minced beef with a sauce or gravy then some cheese added.
How are you doing so far???

Back