• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

2nd thoughts about op…. plus timescales?

pizzaman

Century Club
Hi, this is my first post but have been lurking for awhile

I am on the waiting list to receive gastric surgery under Dr Ahmed at Derby hospital.

I had my funding approved 8 months ago, still not received a date for surgery. I have just been sent a letter asking me to see dietician on 12th April. Does anybody know what the timescales are likely to be from this point? Will I get a date for surgery when I see the dietician if all is well?

Also I am having 2nd thoughts about the operation…. I have lost a fantastic amount of weight since I started trying to get the surgery. Went down from over 32 stones to about 17 stones :D (BMI from 59 to 30)….. did this on a really strict program called LighterLife combined with lots of exercise.

I actually got to point where I was happy with my body and was feeling great, however as soon as I came off the really strict program I was unable to maintain my weight no matter how hard I tried, I am now about 21 stones and in freefall…. :sigh:

Original wanted a gastric bypass, at over 30 stones that looked the best why to go, but now that seems too extreme. Have spoken to surgeon (at gastric surgery open day), and he said I could change operation type or postpone operation till I knew what I wanted to do and I should make an appointment to see him, however I have been trying to make appointment to see him for 3 mouths without success (only get to speak to secretary and getting nowhere fast….)

If I do go for operation now think an adjustable band is the best way forward, not sure whither to just go for it as quickly as possible or to try and postpone the operation (if can do so without losing funding).

Having reached a respectable weight without surgery, most of my friends and family can no longer understand why I would consider surgery. I am considering having the operation, but telling very few people I have had it…. How feasible is this? How long before I return to relevantly normal activity after the operation, how visible will scare be?

I know everybody is different but after 6-12 mouths how resistive will my food choices be?

I no longer want to lose huge amount of weight, how effective will a gastric band be in the long-term for maintenance?

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the boards. Well done on your fabulous weight loss. As for the type of surgery I would suggest you see the dietician as planned next week and see if she will advise you. She will almost certainly be reporting back to the bariatric team so express your concerns to her. Good luck in your decision.
xxxxxxxxx

I has 2nd thoughts a few weeks ago and as im sure you will be told this is natural.

I done cambridge and lost loads but put it all back on and more.

Ive got my surgery tomorrow and i know this is the right move for me as im BLOODY SICK AND TIRED OF BEING FAT AND UNHEALTHY!!

Im making this choice for my future, and what a happy one its going to be!

Good luck with whatever you decided, we are all here to support.

Ive paid privately so cannot answer you about the timescales.

Firstly, you have done incredibly well!!! Amazing weight loss !

I can only give you info relevant to my band and how it affects me.
You certainly would not have any trouble losing the rest with a band as you have proven you can stick to a diet.

With a band in and good restriction you can eat most foods you did before, just smaller portions.

Just briefly, I have been a complusive eater for years and have managed to maintain my weight loss so far.
I think a lot of the problem pre-op is trying to maintain a loss rather than do the loss itself.

I think for you personally, you would do great with a band and it would definately help you keep the weight off.

However you should talk to the team and they can advise you best on what they feel is in your best interests long term .

Derby do drag their heels a bit - I have just gone on the list, after 8 months. I suspect the waiting list is 6-9 months. I don't think they will notify you of a date till nearer the time.
As far as op is concerned, only you know how strong your will power is..... As you have already put weight back on, I suspect that you will still need help. Your weight loss has been great, but its keeping it off. If you have an op, your will power is supported for the rest of your life. Take advice from your dietician as to which type of op.

Good Luck

Derby do drag their heels a bit - I have just gone on the list, after 8 months. I suspect the waiting list is 6-9 months. I don't think they will notify you of a date till nearer the time.
As far as op is concerned, only you know how strong your will power is..... As you have already put weight back on, I suspect that you will still need help. Your weight loss has been great, but its keeping it off. If you have an op, your will power is supported for the rest of your life. Take advice from your dietician as to which type of op.

Good Luck

Nice to see you Vron where you been?

Linski xxx

Hi
I still come on and read, but nothing to report at the moment......just tying to lose a bit more weight - not very successfully without exercise ( which i cannot do). Still at least i have not put any more on.

Pizzaman - You have done incredibly well on your own with a fantastic weight loss.

That is definately will power and self - discipline.

Speak to the surgeon, you still have time to read more and think about a decision; but he will be the best person to advise you for permanant weight loss for now and the future.

Good luck on your journey x

Love Kat x

I can't help you re. the timescales I'm afraid as you aren't in my PCT, however I wanted to congratulate you on your successful weight loss so far.
I think second thoughts are perfectly natural, WLS is a huge decision (no pun intended)!
All I can say is, how likely are you to continue on your own losing weight...will you be ok for the next year? 2? 5 years?....will you be OK as long as you stick to this 'really strict Lighter Life program', or how will you do when you come off it? Is that sort of long-term diet actually sustainable for you? Only you can honestly answer these questions....& it if turns out that in 5 years you think it likely you will be as heavy as you've ever been....then there's your answer....I honestly think the hardest decision we make is mentally accepting we need the surgery to help us....not actually having the surgery! Good luck with whatever you decide xxx

Everyone is different but I wanted to share my story with you.

I lost 12 stone in a year. For the first six months I had a gastric balloon which helped a little (although I would never recommend them as I lost restriction after about 6 weeks). I was very motivated though as I had paid privately and I dieted strictly at around 900 calories a day for over a year.

At 16.5 stone the hospital offered me a gastric band on the NHS to help get the rest of the weight off. I was so sure that I had it sussed this time that I didn't take them up on the offer. 18 months later I was 27 stone again. It took me a year to get back in the system for weight loss surgery and a further 7 months before I got the operation.

You can be sure I look back to summer 2008 and wish and wish I had just said yes and taken the help that I so obviously needed.

Thanks everyone. :thankyou: Really useful to hear from people who have actually been thought it.

Think the second thoughts about having the operation are fading. Also I am leaning towards banding. My main aim is long term maintenance, I know the bypass has faster loss initially but both seem effective at maintenance in the long term. Have been doing a bit of research....

From (Long-Term Impact of Bariatric Surgery on Body Weight, Comorbidities, and Nutritional Status -- Shah et al. 91 (11): 4223 -- Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism)

zeg0110646800001.gif

And (from Meta-Analysis: Surgical Treatment of Obesity (heavy reading…))

F3.large.jpg

Another concern I had was that a bypass was better at suppressing hunger than banding, which I still believe to be the case, but banding still does appear to offer significant satiety in the long term.

zeg0020513000002.gif

From Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding Induces Prolonged Satiety: A Randomized Blind Crossover Study -- Dixon et al. 90 (2): 813 -- Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism and

Different Plasma Ghrelin Levels after Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass and Adjustable Gastric Banding in Morbid Obese Subjects -- Leonetti et al. 88 (9): 4227 -- Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism

Back