• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Does anyone know what the lowest BMI they will Band at ?

Dimples70

I know this is going to sound Odd - when I had my consultation - I weighed 15 stones - it was agreed that I could be banded because of medical reasons - HOWEVER I'm losing weight on the milk diet and at this rate I'm going to he about 14stones 7 at the time of operation - Has anyone ever heard if someone has been declined because of too low a BMI ?????

Will you be banded in the UK? NHS or private? I believe the answer to your question depends on this. In any case, I think once you're in for the sugery, then you're in. I mean, one of the reasons for WLS is because weight loss in the past hasn't been permanent (yo-yo effect), so the fact that you've lost weight now doesn't guarantee you've solved the long-term problem. What's your current BMI?

Hi Peggy - my current BMI is 33 - I'm going Private with the THG - it's just that I hear so many people saying how they have to
Lose weight first and yet my doctor doesn't seem bothered even told me to have a good weekend !!!! Didn't give me a target or anything .

I was told I would have to do a 1000calorie a day diet, but no one has told me anything??
And I'm in on the 14th sept thg bmi 35..

Hi Dimples,
I was banded 17/8/12 at THG, as you can see by my BMI, it is lower than some, but i was told that my surgeon is happy to do it. My surgeon was Mr Hewin. When you look at my height and weight ratio, my BMI is quite high though, i'm ust happy they did it!
xx

If you are at the lower end of the bmi I got told its just the 1000calorie but if you are bigger then milk I think that's with all wls not just bands, thg may have different guideline's to other places. But I think it's just down to each individual so check with your clinic!!

ok, this is the info I was told by three different surgeons/clinics in three different countries:
Pre-op diet is primarily for (1) shrinking liver, since it has to be kept raised during laparoscopy surgery to access your stomach, at least the upper part where they place the band (2) for very high BMI, any surgery will be less dangerous, regardless of having to lift the liver, if you can drop lots of weight. All the BMIs I've seen in this thread thus far are significantly under 40. Mine was 36 when I first started contacting clinics (but then got up to 38, and stayed there till the night before my op).
None of the three clinics I spoke with told me that a pre-op diet was strictly required in my case. One doctor told me that it would make absolutely no difference (BMI 36, mind you). Another doctor told me that it would be a good idea. The third doctor recommended a high protein diet (low fat, such as pure protein shakes) for only three days prior to surgery. Given all this information, I tried to do the pre-op diet 2 weeks prior, but completely failed, in part because I knew in my heart it wasn't a dire requirement, yet it sure was difficult to do! In the end, I only did 2.5 days of strict diet pre-op. When I asked my surgeon if my liver was larger than it should have been, he said absolutely no, there was no problem.

Oh, also, important to mention, that the pre-op diet has another purpose: to get you started, mentalized, to get the ball rolling, on a new way of eating... on a new life, particularly right after your operation that you will be on liquids for a month!

Thx Peggy - I'm really impressed about your knowledge - I'm sure it will answer many people questions - I'm just going to carry on what I'm doing and just be sensible - I'm mainly doing liquids - as it's convenient and makes the transition to post op easier - Thx again hun xxxx

Sounds like you are on the right track! And congrats on your recent weight loss, it is clear that you are already very motivated :)

Losing weight on the milk diet is not going to affect your op
It's to shrink your liver and a lot off the weightless
is just water if you go back to normal eating you put it striaght back on dint worry
Good luck

I was with THG and the pre op diet wasn't that impportaant. I was told to go away and lose 5-6 pound on 1000 cals a day. My bmi was 44.

I lost 10 pound I did 1000 cals 1 week and 2 slimfast 1 salad week 2.

Go with providor advice - I did and was fine x

I went with THG, at my consultation the surgeon said not to bother with the pre-op diet as my bmi was 40. I did it anyway for 10 days with a couple of blips because i wanted to try and get myself mentally ready for it xx

Back