• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

3 days post op and struggling !

leanne1985

Hi all.

Has my surgery in Brno on Thursday I fly home tomorrow. I had a few questions I wanted to ask I hope you don't mind,

1. The wound where I had my drain is still really painful is that normal?
2. I can literally feel everything going down my throat is that going to be forever?
3. When can I drink coffee?
4. Can I have jelly with liquid diet ?
5. Is it normal to feel slight regret?

Any advice would be great xxx

Hi Leanne

Sorry I cant answer any of your questions as I'm pre-op.
But I can understand your concerns and feel sure they are perfectly natural. Stick with it and I'm sure it will be worth it. Youre just having a bit of a wobble but youll be fine. Chin up, wish my op was behind me and I was flying home tomorrow! Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Deb x

Turps

I'll be four weeks post op in two days, and will have a go at answering your questions, though I'm sure the replies will differ depending on the person.

(1) I didn't have a drain so can't help, sorry.
(2) That happened to me at first, but has stopped now. I suspect it's one of those things that time will help.
(3) I could have coffee two days after my op. But all providers are different.
(4) As above. I was only on water for two days and then straight onto puree.
(5) Totally normal. You've just been through a huge thing that will affect you a lot both mentally and physically. You're in pain, facing the fact your life has changed a lot, and no doubt worrying about loads of things. But what I can say is it does get better. Day by day you'll feel better physically and start to get a grip on this new life. Then you'll have that amazing feeling when the weight starts to go down, and realise that you have done the right thing. Until then, keep talking on here and ask questions, or even just say you need support. It's helped me loads talking to people that get it, both the good and the bad.

Rose2016

You must be shattered, I know I was , and that knocks everything out of sync.

You can have coffee now - I had a cup in hospital on day 1. That will make you feel more normal again.

Yes it is sore and that's why you go home with pain medication. It gets better quickly though , promise.

Your throat is still swollen which is why you feel everything especially cold and very hot foods. That goes away very quickly too.

I am one month post op and feel normal and healthy and I am sure you will feel better soon.

Rose2016

Oh and yes, crack on with nas jelly which was a godsend. I also recommend protein coconut water from Ocado as a meal which is refreshing and filling and high in protein.

And finally WELL DONE. you are over the worst.

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
1. The wound where I had my drain is still really painful is that normal? I didn't have a drain for this op but I have had them before and yes, they can be painful, keep an eye on the wound
2. I can literally feel everything going down my throat is that going to be forever? It does pass, promise!
3. When can I drink coffee? I was free fluids from the day after my op.
4. Can I have jelly with liquid diet ? No, jelly isn't liquid..........
5. Is it normal to feel slight regret? Yes, perfectly normal. Its a big deal and it takes a few weeks to come to terms with whats happened to you!

Kar8858

Your throats will be fine it's from the bougie being put down.
I was told to avoid coffee due to it stimulating appetite but all surgeons are different. I've not drunk it in 2 years or carbonated drinks.
Equally jelly is not liquid..I had 3 weeks of liquid before moving to purée for 3. Do what your provider says but you need to let your butchered stomach heal..it's been stapled together..sip liquids and let it heal.
Regret is normal it passes after a week then it's onwards all the way!
Good recovery and take it day by day

FeeBee

Food wise I always say check with your team because as others have said they all differ in what they recommend. As @Mazza said drain sites can be sore for a while and I found it took a little while for all my wounds to really settle. It's a big op you've had and you have a lot of healing to do now so please take care of yourself and allow yourself the time to heal fully.

Honestly I never have felt any regret but it's perfectly reasonable to do so - especially when you feel like you've been beaten up (or at least that's how I felt for a bit post op!) Keep chatting to us and let us know how you are getting on x

SAM55

My drain site hurt for about 4 weeks, although not all the time after a while. I was told it was a deep wound (compared to the other key holes, so it would take a time to heal. Keep taking the pain killers as instructed so your body doesn't get to the point where the pain is too bad.

It will get better, I promise.

I can understand regret. It didn't happen straight away, but 6 weeks out and just starting on normal food and struggling, and all of a sudden it hit. I know it will pass though and it is a perfectly normal emotion to feel as you adjust to a new way of life.

Hopefully you will feel better when you get back home to familiar surroundings. You are very brave to go to a different country for your op. I hope you have someone with you for emotional support.

Take care
x

puddytats

Hi all.

Has my surgery in Brno on Thursday I fly home tomorrow. I had a few questions I wanted to ask I hope you don't mind,

1. The wound where I had my drain is still really painful is that normal?
2. I can literally feel everything going down my throat is that going to be forever?
3. When can I drink coffee?
4. Can I have jelly with liquid diet ?
5. Is it normal to feel slight regret?

Any advice would be great xxx

I had bypass, but:

1. Yes - although I had problems with a different wound, the drain one hurt at times
2. Me too - no it passes!
3. Don't know, as I don't drink coffee, but usually from day 1
4. My dietitian told me that jelly and yoghurts all count as liquids. As an alternative, freeze some NAS squash and suck on ice cubes
5. Yes. This still happens to me, my op was July