• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Banded 2 days ago.

jczelyph

Hi all.

I had my gastric band on Tuesday 6th July. I got home yesterday.

I feel OK. Really lethargic though - is that normal?

I am struggling to drink enough fluids, but I think that's just because I'm forgetting to.

Food is going down OK. Have been eating jelly, yoghurt, mash+gravy, pureed soup.

Wounds on my tummy hurt, especially the one under my breastbone where there port is.

At the moment, when I eat, it can actually hurt. Is that always what the restriction feels like, or does it change with healing and time?

It's also hurting to cough, but I guess that's normal.

Just feeling a bit miserable, but I think this is not anything out of the ordinary.

aww your be sore and tender for a few days yet, i found solphadine plus was fab when i had mine,

take it easy xx

Everything you are describing is normal. It took me a good week or so to start feeling relatively normal again.

The only advice I can give at the moment is drink drink and drink some more. It really does help! I have a sports bottle of water with me constantly and I just keep sipping all day long.

Restriction shouldn't hurt although of course you are probably still sore at the moment. Try not to eat too much at a time. It may be that you are eating too much too quickly which is causing what is known as "iron fist".

Also, try not to do too much too soon. Make sure you take it easy while you are healing in the early days.

Keep us posted x

I had a bypass not a band so can't advise on the eating etc but i can remember the tiredness and dropping off at the drop of a hat when i came home.... You've probably still got anaesthetic in you plus your body has just had the trauma of surgery, be kind to yourself and rest as much as you can xxx

Hi all.

This is absolutely normal, it can take up to 72 hours for the effects of an anaesthetic to totally wear off, plus my love, you have just had surgery, so don't expect too much too soon. Also as your food intake is low so will your energy levels for a bit

I am struggling to drink enough fluids, but I think that's just because I'm forgetting to.

You must sip sip sip....good advice there about keeping a bottle of water on hand at all times. I do this too, even nearly 2 years out.

Food is going down OK. Have been eating jelly, yoghurt, mash+gravy, pureed soup.
Take is gently and always take the advice you were given by your provider :)

Wounds on my tummy hurt, especially the one under my breastbone where there port is.

Again very normal, this was the biggest incision and it's where they sewed the port to muscles. It will be sore but if you keep taking pain meds prescribed regularly then the pain will improve

At the moment, when I eat, it can actually hurt. Is that always what the restriction feels like, or does it change with healing and time?

You are only a few days out, your insides are swollen still from the op, so food passing through this might hurt. Also be very wary of how much you eat in one mouthful. Try using a teaspoon to eat with to begin with, so you can't overload yourself and take each mouthful slowly, allow it to go down before attempting another

Just feeling a bit miserable, but I think this is not anything out of the ordinary.

I hope this helps and that you come back time and time again to get the fabulous support this forum can offer.

All of what you speak of is so normal after this kind of surgery but I can say that by this time next Tuesday you will feel different and better.

Good luck on your WLS surgery adventure :)

Hi all.

Hi, I had my Band 3 June I found holding a pillow firmly over my tummy while I coughed realled helped reduce the pain. Try to make sure that you drink slowly this helps reduce pain. I found constantly sipping from a sports bottle worked best. My hospital say fluids only for 4 weeks and I used to try and make a drink every hour to encourage me to drink. eg.
7.00 coffee
8.00 squash
9.00 chicken bovril
10.00 fortimel shake
etc. etc.

I am now on food although its mushy food. I think my best advice with that is very small mouthfulls and putting your spoon down after every spoon. This really slows you down, if I eat too fast then I get pain, so slowly slowly.

Take care

Mellsxx

Last edited:
Thanks all for your support. I just needed some kind words!

I am slowly able to drink more, which is reassuring. I've got a 2 litre bottle which I am aiming to get through each day.

I'm definitely getting 'iron fist' though. Very unpleasant! I hope that wears off when I'm all healed and in normal band mode.

The port is still really sore. Does it become pain-free eventually?

I've been sleeping 12 hours a night, so obviously need my rest. I try not to sleep in the day as I don't like my night's sleep disrupted. Can't concentrate on much. Trying to read my book but can't be bothered.

I live on my own, but my friends have been amazing at looking after me. It's very touching. My parents asked if I want them to visit but I'm not sure it's worth it (I'm in Liverpool, they're in Cardiff).

I have to move house in 3 weeks, which is playing on my mind as well. I hope I'm physically more able in a week or two so I can pack!

I have my first fill booked on 17th August. Is that too long or too soon?

Thanks again, gang.

Hugs, the port site was the last for me to become pain free and to actually wear a bra was heaven.... Please do take it easy hun, As for moving, get friends and family to help out, You dont want to lift anything heavy or heavy ish just yet cos of the stitches and the internal port stitching.
Wish i lived close id come and help you
The first fill is generally 6 weeks after surgery to allow things to settle down etc, The fills are fine when they are done, i was cacking it :D

Take it easy x

My first post op appointment is at 9 weeks and i'm expecting a fill at that time.

My port is lower on my abdomen to the left. I'm now 5 1/2 weeks post op and mostly there is no pain, I can sleep on my side but think that l sleeping on my stomach would be uncomfortable.

Hospitals and surgeons seem to vary widely on things like first fill and post op diets. My surgeon says fluids for 4 weeks then gradually sloppy to normal food over the next 4 weeks.

Hey hun,
I had surgery 2 months ago today:eek: it took me about a week to fully recover from the anaesthetic and at least 2 weeks for all the small incisions to stop hurting, the port was a different matter though and took about 6 weeks to stop hurting but if i press it too much even now it can be a bit tender. I found that sleeping on my side with a pillow under my belly was a must for the first 6 weeks, much to my husbands disgust as i took up all the bed space:D
I was shattered to for about 2 weeks after surgery but it's amazing how quickly the body heals despite what we do to them.

Hope you feel better soon & keep us posted with how you get on xx

Back