• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

3 weeks post op.. CANT EAT OR DRINK..help!!

Butterfly38

Hi all, I really need some advice! I'm 3 almost 4 weeks post op was doing fantastic, eating and drinking well until few days ago, tried mashed foot from puréed as advised by my provider and was sick, was Obviousley too early. So, back to purée but as the days have gone on I've een able to eat less and less as it just gets stuck and comes back up, now even my water is not going down. I'm so worried has anyone else experienced this???

Think you should get some professional advice, you have obviously gone back to 1st stage which is what I would have sugested but if you are struggling now woith even water then you need some medical intervention you are going to be dehydrated and may need to go into hospital AND GET THOROUGH EXAMINATION. Don't delay ring today xx

I'd contact your provider for advice to long without fluids can leave you dehydrated & the knock on effects aren't brilliant, dizzyness & constipation. I don't mean to frighten you but its something you need to check on sooner rather than later, it may be nothing but better safe than sorry.
I had a bug that caused d & v in my colleagues but in me post bypass shut down everything, I could hardly eat or drink was constantly dizzy from dehydration & so bunged up that even 2 e lax 3 or 4 times a day for several days had trouble shifting. Eventually it moved & life went back to normal. But they did discuss a possible endoscope investigation in both directions to see what's up. That was almost a year post-op.
As I say better safe than sorry.

Hi - don't want to scare you but I urge you to seek help immediately based on my own experience.
Like you I was doing brilliantly until 3 weeks post op when I started vomiting and was able to eat less & less until eventually I couldn't keep water down. I didn't seek help for a further week at which point I was admitted to hospital where I stayed for 2 weeks to be treated for severe dehydration & malnutrition.
I had developed a stricture which had totally closed the join between my pouch & intestine and had to have several dilatations. My bariatric coordinator had very stern words with me and told me I should have got in touch at the first sign of trouble. 3 months later and I'm still on a feeding tube having overnight drip feeds.
Please get in touch with your team. Hopefully it is a minor thing that can be easily sorted but as others have said, the effects of dehydration are very serious for us so please don't delay. Good luck.

Maybe you should try veg before you move on to body parts.��

What are you talking about? it doesn't make any sense???

Anyway, not being able to keep fluid down is a a big concern, if this is still the issue then you need to see urgent medical advice. In the beginning I was sick a lot, I had to have a lot of anti sickness medication and even some IV fluids because I struggled to keep things down, I'm fine now by the way. The early days are tough but because I didn't tell anyone about my problems I suffered liver function problems, if you still can't keep fluid down contact you doctors/out of hours team straight away! it is very important. We become dehydrated very easily so considering it's a bank holiday you might need to pop to your local hospital to get attention but seriously if you can't keep anything down then you are a priority! xx

Omg Shiraz really ??? I am deffo going to contact my providers in the morning. I'm just having a cup of tea now which seems to be ok so I'll see how the day goes but i do feel something is not quite right. I was doing soooo well which confuses me as to why this Would suddenly happen!! I'm going to persevere today but even if I am ok I'm going to call them tomorrow anyway. Thankyou and everyone else for your advise x

But yes I appreciate your advice and I will contact them. I felt a bit silly ringing the out of hours number yesterday but if I still can't manage to even drink today then I will contact them. I'm so scared and worried x

Omg Shiraz really ??? I am deffo going to contact my providers in the morning. I'm just having a cup of tea now which seems to be ok so I'll see how the day goes but i do feel something is not quite right. I was doing soooo well which confuses me as to why this Would suddenly happen!! I'm going to persevere today but even if I am ok I'm going to call them tomorrow anyway. Thankyou and everyone else for your advise x

As long as you can keep fluid down then you are doing ok enough to wait until they open but if you find you can't again then you must seek urgent attention, it's amazing how quickly we dehydrate xx

Sorry Butterfly, it was my silly idea of injecting a bit of humour into what is really a very serious issue but I felt the others were giving you sound advice so I tried to make you smile, I'm sorry. " mashed foot". Slaz xx

Don't worry about looking silly there's a fine line between healthy & very ill post op don't take risks, get it checked out sooner rather than later.
Better looking silly but safe rather than very ill!

Hi all just a little update, not wanting to tempt fare but have tried tiny amount of soup a petit filous, 2 cup of teas and some juice, has all stayed down so far.... Maybe it was just a bad day but im still going to let my dietician know just incase!! I'm going to treat it as if I've just had op and stay on clear soup etc see how I go. Thankyou all so much for your Help and advice x x x

Sorry Butterfly, it was my silly idea of injecting a bit of humour into what is really a very serious issue but I felt the others were giving you sound advice so I tried to make you smile, I'm sorry. " mashed foot". Slaz xx

Hi slaz, no worries no offence taken, I just didn't understand the joke lol Dooohhhhh in feelif a little better now anyway !

I'm very pleased that you were not offended, that's the last thing I would have wanted.Delighted that you are feeling better and hope that by tomorrow you'll be as right as rain again. Slaz xx

If you have been advised to go onto mashed foods I would keep trying. If say in around 2 weeks you're still not comfortably onto mashed I would get in touch with your team.

Thankyou Shelley I bought it was just me not ong able to understand that "body parts" message lol

I think Slaz was just being a comedian as you wrote "foot" instead of "food"........guess there's always time for a joke!?!?! Lol
Good luck m'dear, I hope you goet sorted nice and quickly and easily. I have heard of people who's new "plumbing" needs a stretch or overheals too so best dealt with swiftly I guess. Enjoy your cuppa. x

Again don't want to scare you but before my stricture got really bad I had days when I could get a cuppa down as long as I had not eaten at all that day. The day I was admitted to hospital I had thrown up 20 times that day alone and I became seriously ill. It is not my intention to worry you unnecessarily but I really do think you should get this checked out as soon as possible. Hopefully it will be nothing or it may be that you need a bit of a stretch but better to be safe than sorry. Let us know how you get on.

Metherer is struggling with the same problems at the moment to & been admitted to hospital on a drip with a possible stricture. So don't leave things to long better safe than sorry.

Back