• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

3 weeks post op how many cal's should i be having

charley1987

i lost 8 pound first week then 2 pound over the last 2 weeks and im not losing any weight its really annoying me and i just wonder if im doing something wrong like to many cals not enough cal's not enough drink not enough protein help i was losing more on the pre op diet its insain and am i to never eat again just to lose weight please help xx

Hi, you and I are surgery twins as we had our ops on the same day!
I am just eating 3 meals a day and sometimes add a snack in but when I spoke to the dietitian he siad don't snack unless you actually feel hungry which I don't.
I am not worrying too much about protein at this stage cos its really hard to get in in when on purees.
Today I had one weetabix for brekkie, a tbsp of stewed fruit at lunchtime(was in a hurry) then a mini cheese portion whilst out...naughty really as its def not a puree!!
Then middle of a jacket spud mixed with seafood cocktail for dinner. It was a small spud and I could only eat half.
I will def concentrate on getting more protein in when I move onto soft foods next week as it should be easier to eat fish in sauce etc.
What sort of things are you eating? x

Charley i am afraid i cant help as not had my op yet ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but i do wish you good luck stay strong..............

might be worth putting up here what you are having to drink /eat at mo for some to help you

im on a soft/mashed diet at mo i had milky scrambeled egg(1 egg) with tom sauce homass as a snack a yog for lunch soft cheese for snack and and fish and mashed pots with a few bake bean mushed in xxx

i also think i can eat a drink a lot more than i should be able to xx they say something like u should be able to eat about 6 table spoons worth of food i seem to be able to eat more than that xxxx

Your diet sounds great to me.
I have been told that at this soft/mashy stage it is harder to feel the restriction but that when we move onto solids it will become more obvious. I definitely feel it with some foods and not with others.
Are you ok with scrambled egg?
I had one on wednesday and was sick all day!

yea im fine with eggs which is odd as befor my op eggs use to give me bad joints but my joints dont hurt now but maybe the 49 pound in total weight lose helps to lol .
How much have u lost since ur op xx

I lost 10 pounds the first week, then 4 then 5 so 1 stone 5 in total in the first 3 weeks. x

Yeah but look at my start weight. I am heavier now than you were at the beginning! I think the bigger you are the easier it comes off x

i hope so, I've lost just over a stone since my op on 6 May and the last two weeks have only accounted for 2.5lbs each of that so I'm feeling really miserable at the moment.
Have stuck to the diet plan and mostly have less than it tells you... *sigh*

just remember this WLS malarky doesn't necessarily mean you're going to drop a stone a month, 2lbs a week is a good number to lose a week, that's still half a stone a month or SIX stone over the year (conservatively)...would you have taken that before your surgery?? bet ya would!! the other thing to remember of course is your body is still coming to terms with the major trauma of the actual op, it'll take time, don't be despondent about the weightloss, it is frustrating, i find the times i don't lose the pounds difficult to take, but as in another post of mine, my conclusion is it's a marathon not a sprint keep up the good work, you've taken the 1st step, re your food intake, i wouldn't get het up with am i eating enough or not eating enough, it'll consume you (no pun intended), carry on as per your dietician's instructions and remember the sloppy or pureed stage is very much "slider" time, you'll get what you think is lots in, in the scheme of things it's chuff all compared to pre-op isn't it?? when your food becomes more solid you'll feel the restriction, believe me!! keep ya chin up and onwards and upwards!! ;)

I don't count calories, there's simply no point as we're limited to eating such small amounts. As long as you're making sensible food choices and not downing chocolate and junk food all day long then you can't have too many calories. Far too many people get hung up on calories and it's simply not necessary.

As long as you're eating regular meals with snacks between if necessary, and drinking plenty of fluid then you needn't worry. They weight will come off at it's own pace, it's not a race ;)

i hope so, I've lost just over a stone since my op on 6 May and the last two weeks have only accounted for 2.5lbs each of that so I'm feeling really miserable at the moment.
Have stuck to the diet plan and mostly have less than it tells you... *sigh*

Don't eat less food than what is on your diet plan or you won't lose any weight! It's a total misconception that the less food we eat the more weight we will lose. If you're not eating enough your body will simply go into starvation mode and refuse to let go of any fat. It thinks it needs it to survive.

Stick to your diet plan and make sure you don't go more than 3hrs without eating something and you should see the weight slowly come off.

But losing 2-3lbs a week is a good steady weight loss and nothing to get disappointed about. It's almost a stone a month!:D

Wise words from Mark and Twiggie.
Thanks guys x

Back